Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Very chatty SCSI bus

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 1:07:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Folks:

We recently purchased a SCSI floppy drive for a special application.
Manufacturer is WinStation and the model number is WFS(2/3) E1W1. We have
it installed in a Kingston/StorCase DataSilo model DS100-S2MM. We used
a standard 6 foot SCSI HD50 cable and active terminator. Also installed
in the second bay of the DataSilo is a Plextor PX-W4012TS, which is a 40X
SCSI CD Writer. We use Adaptec 29160N SCSI cards and the DataSilo is
connected to the external port. CD Writer is SCSI ID 5 and the Floppy
drive is ID 3. I've tested without the CD Writer connected too and I've
tested it at SCSI ID 6 too.

I've tested the SCSI floppy under Windows XP and Windows NT. Under
NT the drive and SCSI bus appear fine. Under Windows XP the performance is
similar, however the floppy and SCSI bus activity light flashes weakly
once a second. Other than this the drive seems to work fine. I contacted
Winstation and their support folks and one of their hardware developers say
that they suspect "SCSI heartbeat". Don't confuse that with cluster heart-
beat. I'm testing Windows XP Pro and Windows NT Workstation, not a server
cluster with network heartbeat. This is on the SCSI bus. And WinStation
says that they haven't evaluated their SCSI floppy product with Windows
XP yet and they speculate that there is a Windows XP registry setting to
turn off "SCSI heartbeat". I've looked and I can't find anything like that
in the registry. I've looked at the Adaptec card configuration and nothing
appeared here as well. Has anyone heard of "SCSI heartbeat" and know of any
XP registry setting to turn it off? My next step is to buy a bus analyser to
see exactly what the communication is. However, it costs $1000 + and I may
not get approval for the purchase. WinStation says that is the only way to
really get at the problem.

Thanks,

Dennis Herrick
dherrick@ade.com

More about : chatty scsi bus

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:21:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

are there any other issues other than the weak once a minute light output of the activity led?

if not....... you need a loooong vacation after the medical procedure to remove that stick.

if no performance differences and you're only concern is the infrequent blinking just put some tape over the light for god's sake.

you have gone into a lot of detail.... good
provided tons of info..... also good
are concerned over the most minor of details and have gone to great lengths to try to solve..... bad

you need to learn to relax a bit :) 
May 15, 2004 5:10:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Is there any difference when a floppy is in the drive or removed?
Does the host system have "RAID" implemented?
"Dennis Herrick" <dherrick@ade.com> wrote in message
news:94b35a85.0405140807.1b4c6206@posting.google.com...
> Hi Folks:
>
> We recently purchased a SCSI floppy drive for a special application.
> Manufacturer is WinStation and the model number is WFS(2/3) E1W1. We have
> it installed in a Kingston/StorCase DataSilo model DS100-S2MM. We used
> a standard 6 foot SCSI HD50 cable and active terminator. Also installed
> in the second bay of the DataSilo is a Plextor PX-W4012TS, which is a 40X
> SCSI CD Writer. We use Adaptec 29160N SCSI cards and the DataSilo is
> connected to the external port. CD Writer is SCSI ID 5 and the Floppy
> drive is ID 3. I've tested without the CD Writer connected too and I've
> tested it at SCSI ID 6 too.
>
> I've tested the SCSI floppy under Windows XP and Windows NT. Under
> NT the drive and SCSI bus appear fine. Under Windows XP the performance
is
> similar, however the floppy and SCSI bus activity light flashes weakly
> once a second. Other than this the drive seems to work fine. I contacted
> Winstation and their support folks and one of their hardware developers
say
> that they suspect "SCSI heartbeat". Don't confuse that with cluster
heart-
> beat. I'm testing Windows XP Pro and Windows NT Workstation, not a server
> cluster with network heartbeat. This is on the SCSI bus. And WinStation
> says that they haven't evaluated their SCSI floppy product with Windows
> XP yet and they speculate that there is a Windows XP registry setting to
> turn off "SCSI heartbeat". I've looked and I can't find anything like
that
> in the registry. I've looked at the Adaptec card configuration and
nothing
> appeared here as well. Has anyone heard of "SCSI heartbeat" and know of
any
> XP registry setting to turn it off? My next step is to buy a bus analyser
to
> see exactly what the communication is. However, it costs $1000 + and I ma
y
> not get approval for the purchase. WinStation says that is the only way
to
> really get at the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis Herrick
> dherrick@ade.com
Related resources
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 6:58:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Chuck:

When I put a floppy in the drive the light goes from weak
1 sec continuous flashes to steady green for about 10 seconds. An
Explorer window pops up, showing the contents of the floppy. Then,
after about 10 seconds the light goes out, no more weak flashes.
Is Windows XP simply polling the floppy drive looking for media
to access?

We are not running any form of RAID on the box, neither IDE,
SATA nor SCSI RAID.

We sell semiconductor process equipment to Japanese, Korean
and German companies along with others. These three nationalities
are "extremely" fussy about performance. Everything must be perfect
or they need to know in great detail what's going on. We're about to
ship our first system with a SCSI floppy to a customer and it's
going to one of the three countries mentioned.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Dennis





"Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message news:<#vOScrjOEHA.1160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Is there any difference when a floppy is in the drive or removed?
> Does the host system have "RAID" implemented?
> "Dennis Herrick" <dherrick@ade.com> wrote in message
> news:94b35a85.0405140807.1b4c6206@posting.google.com...
> > Hi Folks:
> >
> > We recently purchased a SCSI floppy drive for a special application.
> > Manufacturer is WinStation and the model number is WFS(2/3) E1W1. We have
> > it installed in a Kingston/StorCase DataSilo model DS100-S2MM. We used
> > a standard 6 foot SCSI HD50 cable and active terminator. Also installed
> > in the second bay of the DataSilo is a Plextor PX-W4012TS, which is a 40X
> > SCSI CD Writer. We use Adaptec 29160N SCSI cards and the DataSilo is
> > connected to the external port. CD Writer is SCSI ID 5 and the Floppy
> > drive is ID 3. I've tested without the CD Writer connected too and I've
> > tested it at SCSI ID 6 too.
> >
> > I've tested the SCSI floppy under Windows XP and Windows NT. Under
> > NT the drive and SCSI bus appear fine. Under Windows XP the performance
> is
> > similar, however the floppy and SCSI bus activity light flashes weakly
> > once a second. Other than this the drive seems to work fine. I contacted
> > Winstation and their support folks and one of their hardware developers
> say
> > that they suspect "SCSI heartbeat". Don't confuse that with cluster
> heart-
> > beat. I'm testing Windows XP Pro and Windows NT Workstation, not a server
> > cluster with network heartbeat. This is on the SCSI bus. And WinStation
> > says that they haven't evaluated their SCSI floppy product with Windows
> > XP yet and they speculate that there is a Windows XP registry setting to
> > turn off "SCSI heartbeat". I've looked and I can't find anything like
> that
> > in the registry. I've looked at the Adaptec card configuration and
> nothing
> > appeared here as well. Has anyone heard of "SCSI heartbeat" and know of
> any
> > XP registry setting to turn it off? My next step is to buy a bus analyser
> to
> > see exactly what the communication is. However, it costs $1000 + and I ma
> y
> > not get approval for the purchase. WinStation says that is the only way
> to
> > really get at the problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dennis Herrick
> > dherrick@ade.com
May 19, 2004 9:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have heard of SCSI floppy drives but have never seen one. Why do you use
such drives? Anyway, my guess is that the SCSI controller it's self detects
that floppy was inserted and does it's own checks. This is how it works with
SCSI ZIP drives also. You can even test this by booting on the floppy with
out Windows and then remove/insert the floppy and see if it still flashes.
As far as Windows...since a separate driver is used for this type of floppy
it may or may not be polling the drive. On top of that, depending how the
Windows sees the floppy, it too, independent of the driver may be polling
the drive looking perhaps for Autorun files.

--
Pavel


"Dennis Herrick" <dherrick@ade.com> wrote in message
news:94b35a85.0405171358.c7d5536@posting.google.com...
> Hi Chuck:
>
> When I put a floppy in the drive the light goes from weak
> 1 sec continuous flashes to steady green for about 10 seconds. An
> Explorer window pops up, showing the contents of the floppy. Then,
> after about 10 seconds the light goes out, no more weak flashes.
> Is Windows XP simply polling the floppy drive looking for media
> to access?
>
> We are not running any form of RAID on the box, neither IDE,
> SATA nor SCSI RAID.
>
> We sell semiconductor process equipment to Japanese, Korean
> and German companies along with others. These three nationalities
> are "extremely" fussy about performance. Everything must be perfect
> or they need to know in great detail what's going on. We're about to
> ship our first system with a SCSI floppy to a customer and it's
> going to one of the three countries mentioned.
>
> Thanks for the quick reply,
>
> Dennis
>
>
>
>
>
> "Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:<#vOScrjOEHA.1160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
>> Is there any difference when a floppy is in the drive or removed?
>> Does the host system have "RAID" implemented?
>> "Dennis Herrick" <dherrick@ade.com> wrote in message
>> news:94b35a85.0405140807.1b4c6206@posting.google.com...
>> > Hi Folks:
>> >
>> > We recently purchased a SCSI floppy drive for a special
>> > application.
>> > Manufacturer is WinStation and the model number is WFS(2/3) E1W1. We
>> > have
>> > it installed in a Kingston/StorCase DataSilo model DS100-S2MM. We used
>> > a standard 6 foot SCSI HD50 cable and active terminator. Also
>> > installed
>> > in the second bay of the DataSilo is a Plextor PX-W4012TS, which is a
>> > 40X
>> > SCSI CD Writer. We use Adaptec 29160N SCSI cards and the DataSilo is
>> > connected to the external port. CD Writer is SCSI ID 5 and the Floppy
>> > drive is ID 3. I've tested without the CD Writer connected too and
>> > I've
>> > tested it at SCSI ID 6 too.
>> >
>> > I've tested the SCSI floppy under Windows XP and Windows NT.
>> > Under
>> > NT the drive and SCSI bus appear fine. Under Windows XP the
>> > performance
>> is
>> > similar, however the floppy and SCSI bus activity light flashes weakly
>> > once a second. Other than this the drive seems to work fine. I
>> > contacted
>> > Winstation and their support folks and one of their hardware developers
>> say
>> > that they suspect "SCSI heartbeat". Don't confuse that with cluster
>> heart-
>> > beat. I'm testing Windows XP Pro and Windows NT Workstation, not a
>> > server
>> > cluster with network heartbeat. This is on the SCSI bus. And
>> > WinStation
>> > says that they haven't evaluated their SCSI floppy product with Windows
>> > XP yet and they speculate that there is a Windows XP registry setting
>> > to
>> > turn off "SCSI heartbeat". I've looked and I can't find anything like
>> that
>> > in the registry. I've looked at the Adaptec card configuration and
>> nothing
>> > appeared here as well. Has anyone heard of "SCSI heartbeat" and know
>> > of
>> any
>> > XP registry setting to turn it off? My next step is to buy a bus
>> > analyser
>> to
>> > see exactly what the communication is. However, it costs $1000 + and I
>> > ma
>> y
>> > not get approval for the purchase. WinStation says that is the only
>> > way
>> to
>> > really get at the problem.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Dennis Herrick
>> > dherrick@ade.com
Related resources
!