Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Using parallel, serial or usb printer

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:44:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Our sales representatives print orders when they visit the customers.
Actually they are using PPC 2K3 and thermal printers (using IR) but we need
to replace these printers because they are very expensive and not
ruggedized.

We are looking for any choice to use POS printers (9-pin impact dot matrix)
with interface parallel or serial.

Until now the only thing found is this adapter that convert parallel signal
to IR http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/pbaACT.htm or this CF card that allow
connect a cable with DB-9 serial connector
http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL2700-096.asp

Do you think that some above option allow to us connect PDA (Axim X5) to
some parallel or serial printer and print?

Thanks!
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 12:06:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Do you think that some above option allow to us connect PDA (Axim X5) to
> some parallel or serial printer and print?

If Axim X5 support serial cable connection to PC, then you can buy
null-modem adapter, connect your Axim serial cable with this adapter to
serial cable running from the printer and there you have it.

But check whether your software allowes you to print to COM1 serial port
(probably this is the serial sync port of Axim X5).

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 12:06:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> If Axim X5 support serial cable connection to PC,

The Axim X5 allow sync with serial cable. Can we understand this connection
like support serial cable to PC?

> then you can buy null-modem adapter, connect your Axim
> serial cable with this adapter to serial cable running from the
> printer and there you have it.

Sure. Something like null-modem adapter DB9 (CF card) to DB25 (printer).

> But check whether your software allowes you to print to COM1 serial port
> (probably this is the serial sync port of Axim X5).

I will ask to Pumatech, Satellite Forms supplier.

Thanks.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 12:26:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

http://www.actisys.com/actir100.html


"Inte" <inteca@noracsa.co.cr> wrote in message news:ubnXGOxTEHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Our sales representatives print orders when they visit the customers.
> Actually they are using PPC 2K3 and thermal printers (using IR) but we need
> to replace these printers because they are very expensive and not
> ruggedized.
>
> We are looking for any choice to use POS printers (9-pin impact dot matrix)
> with interface parallel or serial.
>
> Until now the only thing found is this adapter that convert parallel signal
> to IR http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/pbaACT.htm or this CF card that allow
> connect a cable with DB-9 serial connector
> http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL2700-096.asp
>
> Do you think that some above option allow to us connect PDA (Axim X5) to
> some parallel or serial printer and print?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:15:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Inte wrote:
> Our sales representatives print orders when they visit the customers.
> Actually they are using PPC 2K3 and thermal printers (using IR) but we need
> to replace these printers because they are very expensive and not
> ruggedized.
>
> We are looking for any choice to use POS printers (9-pin impact dot matrix)
> with interface parallel or serial.
>
> Until now the only thing found is this adapter that convert parallel signal
> to IR http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/pbaACT.htm or this CF card that allow
> connect a cable with DB-9 serial connector
> http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL2700-096.asp
>
> Do you think that some above option allow to us connect PDA (Axim X5) to
> some parallel or serial printer and print?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
Why don't you consider a BlueTooth printer ?
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:15:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Why don't you consider a BlueTooth printer ?

Because most bluetooth printer we know use ink cartridge and we are looking
for impact dot matrix printer like POS.
Maybe other option could be pos printer with usb interface (I don't know
them) and use bluetooth usb printer adapter.

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:28:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Sure. Something like null-modem adapter DB9 (CF card) to DB25 (printer).

Not CF card. Just a simple two-plugs-thing I don't know how to call it. It
is a small box where you connect a serial cable running from Axim
synchronization port and serial cable running from printer. It looks like a
gender changer but it has some pins swiched in order to make the connection
work.


--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:28:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

You are using the correct term. A Null Modem adapter would allow you to
connect an Axim Serial Sync cable to a serial printer cable. It is mostly a
matter of getting the In and Out pins right, which is what a Null modem
adapter does. This would be a little kludgy but under $10, assuming you have
an AXIM serial sync cable. Those are $35-$40 as I recall.

There are also CF serial port cards. Socket makes some. This would allow you
to connect to the serial printer directly. It is about a $120 solution, but
clean.

The key though is if the software allows printing to a serial printer, as
was mentioned.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
news:%23fTXCmyTEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> > Sure. Something like null-modem adapter DB9 (CF card) to DB25 (printer).
>
> Not CF card. Just a simple two-plugs-thing I don't know how to call it. It
> is a small box where you connect a serial cable running from Axim
> synchronization port and serial cable running from printer. It looks like
a
> gender changer but it has some pins swiched in order to make the
connection
> work.
>
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub Kañczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl
>
>
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 4:45:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

O'Neil sells several portable thermal printers. They are definitely
rugged, which means pricey. Each can connect via serial or IR.
http://www.oneil-pdi.com/

Pentax makes some portable thermal printers, and serial cables that
can connect directly to a Windows CE serial connector without extra
NULL modem.

Mobile Planet sells several portable printers. Even if you don't buy
from them, the list might provide ideas.
www.mobileplanet.com

Field Software sells several utilities and software tools to support
printing from handhelds. Their web site lists printers they support.
This would be another good source of ideas.
http://www.fieldsoftware.com/PrintersSupported.htm


On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:44:48 -0600, "Inte" <inteca@noracsa.co.cr>
wrote:

>Our sales representatives print orders when they visit the customers.
>Actually they are using PPC 2K3 and thermal printers (using IR) but we need
>to replace these printers because they are very expensive and not
>ruggedized.
>
>We are looking for any choice to use POS printers (9-pin impact dot matrix)
>with interface parallel or serial.
>
>Until now the only thing found is this adapter that convert parallel signal
>to IR http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/pbaACT.htm or this CF card that allow
>connect a cable with DB-9 serial connector
>http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL2700-096.asp
>
>Do you think that some above option allow to us connect PDA (Axim X5) to
>some parallel or serial printer and print?
>
>Thanks!
>

-----------------------------------------
To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
!