does cpu go when board goes

i think my a7v8x has bombed. If I get a new board, should the cpu be
replaced also?
i have a +1800 in it now.

Glen

Depends what caused the motherboard to go. Just because the mobo packed up
doesn't mean the cpu has packed up but if an electrical serge caused the
mobo to blow the cpu might be duff. It's trial and error I'm afraid.

Glen

"Doug" <fabien@toast.net> wrote in message
> i think my a7v8x has bombed. If I get a new board, should the cpu be
> replaced also?
> i have a +1800 in it now.

I really don't know if it is the motherboard or cpu. The motherboard's
green light still is on and the cpu fan runs. I guess the only way to tell
is by replacing the cpu first and see what happens. What do you think? I
didn't get an electrical surge to my knowledge. The power supply is putting
out the correct dc voltages.

"Glen" <meetfreeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Depends what caused the motherboard to go. Just because the mobo packed up
> doesn't mean the cpu has packed up but if an electrical serge caused the
> mobo to blow the cpu might be duff. It's trial and error I'm afraid.
>
> Glen
>
> "Doug" <fabien@toast.net> wrote in message
> > i think my a7v8x has bombed. If I get a new board, should the cpu be
> > replaced also?
> > i have a +1800 in it now.

CPU's rarely fail, even if the motherboard has failed. It should be OK.

--
DaveW

"Doug" <fabien@toast.net> wrote in message
> i think my a7v8x has bombed. If I get a new board, should the cpu be
> replaced also?
> i have a +1800 in it now.

Do not go half wild and start replacing things. Are
voltages within limits as reported by a 3.5 digit multimeter?
Especially voltages on red, orange, and yellow wires must be
within upper 3/4s of limits in chart. What does Power Good
signal say?

Procedure and chart to verify power supply limits and
handshake signals is:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

Once power supply is proven good or bad, and necessary
handshake signals are provided, then strip down motherboard
only to CPU and speaker. Yes, disconnect keyboard, Ram,
peripheral cards, disk drive, mouse, etc. Computer should
power up enough to only beep speaker. If no sound, then you
have isolated problem down to motherboard and CPU. As another
noted, CPU is rarely a reason for failure. More often than
CPU failure is one created by standoff that was improperly
mounted and broken through solder mask. I am not even saying
this is the problem. Only demonstrating one in a long list of
reasons why motherboard and CPU would not beep speaker.

Furthermore, if CPU is damaged, then most likely motherboard
is also damaged.

Dirty little secret about plug-in protectors. They can even
contribute to damage of a powered off and adjacent computer.
They provide transients with destructive paths that bypass
power supply to damage motherboard, modem, etc. If a plug-in
surge protector were so effective, then those $0.10 parts
would already be inside the power supply. Why are those $0.10
parts not installed? Once they were. No longer because those
$0.10 parts (that cost tens of dollars inside a plug-in
protector) are not effective when adjacent to the computer.