Modem help?

Charles

On a Toshiba satellite notebook with XP home and a pci
software(win)modem the user was kicked off the internet
and now the modem doesn't work.

The diagnostic query returns a message box that says the
port is in use. There is no conflicting hardware in the
device manager. I tried removing the modem and
reinstalling. The drivers are current. I scanned for
spyware and viruses and did not find any.

I am at the point of doing a recovery on the OS but was
hoping someone might have an idea of what to try short of
that.
I had another Toshiba laptop that had the exact same
problem and a system restore fixed it. The only available
restore point on this machine did not repair the problem.
I think this is a software problem but so far I am unable
to find the offending program or system file.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Charles

What kick it off, a voltage spike like a lightning strike,
perhaps the modem is dead. It would be useful to look at
the device manager to see what can be learned.

A reinstall is not the solution to the modem as a first
choice. You can try removing the modem with the device
manager and rebooting to see if that will restore the
operation.

"Charles" <charles_1010@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| On a Toshiba satellite notebook with XP home and a pci
| software(win)modem the user was kicked off the internet
| and now the modem doesn't work.
|
| The diagnostic query returns a message box that says the
| port is in use. There is no conflicting hardware in the
| device manager. I tried removing the modem and
| reinstalling. The drivers are current. I scanned for
| spyware and viruses and did not find any.
|
| I am at the point of doing a recovery on the OS but was
| hoping someone might have an idea of what to try short of
| that.
| I had another Toshiba laptop that had the exact same
| problem and a system restore fixed it. The only available
| restore point on this machine did not repair the problem.
| I think this is a software problem but so far I am unable
| to find the offending program or system file.
|
| Anyone have any ideas?
|
| Thanks
| Charles

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried as you suggested (remove and reboot)

I considered the lightning thing but figured the computer
would be dead as well. At least a complete OS recovery
would determine if it is a HW problem with the card.

The strange thing is I had another Toshiba satellite (the
two users are friends) that had the exact same problem
(symptoms) that was remedied with a system restore. I am
thinking they installed something or picked up a SW bug of
some kind.

Troubleshooting is an art form, it seems best to begin with
the easiest and quickest things. The only harm from a
reinstall is the time it takes and the need to do all the
updates and reinstall all the software and data files, if a
complete reinstall become necessary.

It does seem possible that the first item in the line that
had the surge might fail (like a fuse) and protect other
parts. Have you checked the device manager for errors?

| Thanks for the reply.
|
| I have tried as you suggested (remove and reboot)
|
| I considered the lightning thing but figured the computer
| would be dead as well. At least a complete OS recovery
| would determine if it is a HW problem with the card.
|
| The strange thing is I had another Toshiba satellite (the
| two users are friends) that had the exact same problem
| (symptoms) that was remedied with a system restore. I am
| thinking they installed something or picked up a SW bug of
| some kind.

| >|
| >| The diagnostic query returns a message box that says
the
| >| port is in use. There is no conflicting hardware in the
| >| device manager. I tried removing the modem and
| >| reinstalling. The drivers are current. I scanned for
| >| spyware and viruses and did not find any.
| >|
| >| I am at the point of doing a recovery on the OS but was
| >| hoping someone might have an idea of what to try short
| of
| >| that.
| >| I had another Toshiba laptop that had the exact same
| >| problem and a system restore fixed it. The only
| available
| >| restore point on this machine did not repair the
| problem.
| >| I think this is a software problem but so far I am
| unable
| >| to find the offending program or system file.
| >|
| >| Anyone have any ideas?
| >|
| >| Thanks
| >| Charles
| >

| >.

It is quite normal for lightning to enter on AC electric,
pass through computer and modem, then exit on phone line.
Only after electricity passes through everything in that
circuit, does one thing fail. A most common failure point is
the DAA section of a modem. IOW it is common for lightning to
pass through computer from AC electric and not damage
motherboard.

All minimally acceptable computer manufacturers provide a
comprehensive set of diagnostics. First use those diagnostics
to only verify hardware - without any use of the XP OS. If
hardware passes, only then is the OS considered later as a
reason for failure.

Modem diagnostic test of hardware is unique. First CPU
talks directly to modem's computer chip. If this
communication is OK, then additional tests must be executed to
see if modem's computer can then talk to phone line via DAA
section.

Restore OS is a last thing done long after other properly
recommended ideas are verified; such as review Device Manager,
review system (event) log, and run comprehensive diagnostics.
System restore is most often used by techs who never really
learned how to fix computers. It is quick, dirty,
unnecessarily destructive of data, and teaches nothing.
Everything a weak tech wants. First learn the symptoms of the
problem - in part because you don't want it to happen again.