ASUS P4P800 Deluxe BIOS problems

I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo and run WinXP Pro. I have it setup
with RAID mirrored drives as my boot drive(s). I also have an IDE
drive for data storage. Occasionally the BIOS boot sequence gets
corrupted and it tries to boot from the IDE drive. I have to go back
into the BIOS and change boot setup. Why would the BIOS change?

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

BTW, my RAID 0 disks are two SATA disks.

William J. Burlingame wrote:

> I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo and run WinXP Pro. I have it setup
> with RAID mirrored drives as my boot drive(s). I also have an IDE
> drive for data storage. Occasionally the BIOS boot sequence gets
> corrupted and it tries to boot from the IDE drive. I have to go back
> into the BIOS and change boot setup. Why would the BIOS change?

Which BIOS version do you have on your P4P800_D?
The actual versions are 1016 (final) and 1017 (beta).

Roy

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 19:42:46 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>William J. Burlingame wrote:
>
>> I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo and run WinXP Pro. I have it setup
>> with RAID mirrored drives as my boot drive(s). I also have an IDE
>> drive for data storage. Occasionally the BIOS boot sequence gets
>> corrupted and it tries to boot from the IDE drive. I have to go back
>> into the BIOS and change boot setup. Why would the BIOS change?
>

>Which BIOS version do you have on your P4P800_D?
>The actual versions are 1016 (final) and 1017 (beta).
>
>Roy

It looks like 1009. This problem has just started recently. I went
for several months with no problems. If it weren't for the time and
date being retained, I'd think it was the battery that keeps the CMOS
data from going away. Since I went for such a long time with out this
problem, I find it difficult to point to the BIOS version. I always
have an uneasy feeling about flashing the BIOS. I wonder what
problems have been corrected since I bought my mobo. I guess I'll give
it a try though. I may submit a problem report to the ASUS technical
support before I do.

The ASUS site mentions that I also need to update the Intel RAID BIOS
to V3.5.0.3003. How do I determine what version of that BIOS I have?

There seems to be a rather lengthy list of updates on the ASUS web
site for the P4800 Deluxe mobo. I generally don't update the firmware
unless there is a compelling reason. Should I do them all. I don't do
anything that pushes the system to it's limits or overclocking -
mainly just surfing the web and other mundane things. I am converting
VHS to DVD's, but I'm not into gaming, etc.