New SATA drive not "seen" P4PE

I have a P4PE with SATA connectors. I have installed a new Hitachi
120GB hdd and have tried to have it recognized by enabling the SATA/RAID
controller and enabling ATA onboard first options but to no avail. On
POST the Primary drive reports None. The drive is a mirror of an IDE
drive and is replete with OS and files. I can "see" that these files
are all there when I have gone into Win2000 Command Console but I cannot
get the drive to boot, presumably because it is not recognized.

Before I go further, I would like to know if there are any other BIOS
settings that I need to tweak. For example, does it do anything to a
SATA drive if I define the Primary Hard drive specs (cylinders, etc.)
or does that only pertain to the hdd on the Primary IDE connector?

Thanks
Ken K

you need to install the Windows SATA drivers for the drive to be seen - make
a disc with the drivers on and then do a repair install of XP on the SATA
drive (assuming you are using XP) pressing f6 and pointing windows at the
floppy at the appropriate time

Paul H wrote:

>you need to install the Windows SATA drivers for the drive to be seen - make
>a disc with the drivers on and then do a repair install of XP on the SATA
>drive (assuming you are using XP) pressing f6 and pointing windows at the
>floppy at the appropriate time

Paul,

I am using Win2000. I have the driver disk and installed it at F6 when
the appropriate time was indicated during the setup. The disk was read,
I was then asked if there were additional drivers that needed to be
installed, which there were not, and I completed the repair. On boot,
the drive is still not recognized. I can boot with a floppy that has
the boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files but with those same files on
the hdd, the OS will not load. I am wondering why the disk is not
recognized by BIOS on boot... I have tried it as a single disk RAID0
and it is recognized by the Promise controller BIOS, but no boot.

Very confusing to me... Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Ken K

Did you make a partition on the drive ??

Windows needs a partition to see the drive.

"Ken K" <psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote in message
> Paul H wrote:
>
> >you need to install the Windows SATA drivers for the drive to be seen -
make
> >a disc with the drivers on and then do a repair install of XP on the SATA
> >drive (assuming you are using XP) pressing f6 and pointing windows at the
> >floppy at the appropriate time
> >
> Paul,
>
> I am using Win2000. I have the driver disk and installed it at F6 when
> the appropriate time was indicated during the setup. The disk was read,
> I was then asked if there were additional drivers that needed to be
> installed, which there were not, and I completed the repair. On boot,
> the drive is still not recognized. I can boot with a floppy that has
> the boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files but with those same files on
> the hdd, the OS will not load. I am wondering why the disk is not
> recognized by BIOS on boot... I have tried it as a single disk RAID0
> and it is recognized by the Promise controller BIOS, but no boot.
>
> Very confusing to me... Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> Ken K

william

"RaiderNation" <raiderfan@blackhole.com> wrote in message
> Did you make a partition on the drive ??
>
> Windows needs a partition to see the drive.
>

> "Ken K" <psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote in message
> > Paul H wrote:
> >
> > >you need to install the Windows SATA drivers for the drive to be seen -
> make
> > >a disc with the drivers on and then do a repair install of XP on the
SATA
> > >drive (assuming you are using XP) pressing f6 and pointing windows at
the
> > >floppy at the appropriate time
> > >
> > Paul,
> >
> > I am using Win2000. I have the driver disk and installed it at F6 when
> > the appropriate time was indicated during the setup. The disk was read,
> > I was then asked if there were additional drivers that needed to be
> > installed, which there were not, and I completed the repair. On boot,
> > the drive is still not recognized. I can boot with a floppy that has
> > the boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files but with those same files on
> > the hdd, the OS will not load. I am wondering why the disk is not
> > recognized by BIOS on boot... I have tried it as a single disk RAID0
> > and it is recognized by the Promise controller BIOS, but no boot.
> >
> > Very confusing to me... Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ken K

the raid drivers are on the mother board driver cd you need to copy the raid
driver for windows
2000 to a disk and use that disk when asked for any special drivers .