windows only sees part of my hard drive

Hello.

Installed windows XP Pro with SP1 on my new hard drive. It is a 160GB hard
drive, but i have just noticed it actually showing as 31.4GB. Any idea why
XP does not see the rest and how can i fix this?

Thanks in advance

Gavin
4 answers Last reply
More about windows sees part hard drive

    Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463&Product=winxp

    How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "GJP" <gavin@NoSpam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message:

    | Hello.
    |
    | Installed windows XP Pro with SP1 on my new hard drive. It is a 160GB hard
    | drive, but i have just noticed it actually showing as 31.4GB. Any idea why
    | XP does not see the rest and how can i fix this?
    |
    | Thanks in advance
    |
    | Gavin

    Sorry, i didnt mean to reply directly to you.

    Ive only got the one partition at the moment, and i cant add another one so
    i will habe to reinstall windows and set up 2 partitions, one being for
    system?

    Thanks

    GJP wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Installed windows XP Pro with SP1 on my new hard drive. It is a 160GB hard
    > drive, but i have just noticed it actually showing as 31.4GB. Any idea why
    > XP does not see the rest and how can i fix this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Gavin

    Check your MB manual - some MBs have a BIOS with a 32GB HD limit.

    Check your HD manual (or snag one from the HD vendor's site, if your
    HD came without a manual) - some HDs have a jumper to limit the HD
    to 32GB and sometimes ship with the jumper installed. This is to
    get around the BIOS problem.

    Also, if the HD was formatted as FAT32 while running from the XP CD,
    that would cause your problem. NTFS is better and is not limited
    to 32GB. If you insist on FAT32 under XP, then you can use a W9x
    OS to format that HD; XP will use large FAT32 parts, even though it
    won't create them.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    This is because your Motherboard/BIOS does not support
    hard disks larger than 31gb. Try updating your BIOS ...
    if you dare!

    The BIOS limitations I know of are: 8gb, 31gb, 40gb, 60gb
    and 120gb.

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives