Will asus 500g router talk to WL-138g PCI card ?

I have been trying for days to connect these two without success. Are they
really compatible. Any tricks or hints will be gratefully received.

Thanks

DC

Paul

Splendid

In article <20040607101518.13897.00000391@mb-m24.aol.com>,
sciencebaron@aol.com (ScienceBaron) wrote:

> I have been trying for days to connect these two without success. Are they
> really compatible. Any tricks or hints will be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks
>
> DC

Here is a thread in Dutch, that makes a reference to "letting
WinXP make the connection". I remember reading a comment
somewhere else, in English, something about the Asus software
not working properly.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=nl_en&url=http%3a%2f%2fgroups.google.com%2fgroups%3fhl%3den%26lr%3d%26ie%3dUTF-8%26frame%3dright%26th%3d9e4df34cf477cee0%26seekm%3d4094f1a9%25241%2540news.nb.nu#link1

"I have Asus WL-300 (11 mbit version) plus Asus PC. card in
my rag top. Have with that never a problem. I use no DHCP but
static Ip-adres. Institutions for both the AP and the PC's:
Ip-adress: 192.168.1.xxx or 10.0.0.xxx (dependent on Ip-range
that the modem use. Gateway: = Ip-adress of Adsl-modem the
DNS 1+2: = Dns-adressen of the ISP. If you use WinXP must
choose on the PC's for the connection to let make by WinXP.
The options for or Asus software or both give problems.
This can indicate in the Asus software you."

Now, I can see how you would need a device driver, to get the
hardware recognized for the AP, but maybe avoid installing any
more than that ?

Just a wild guess,
Paul

I should have said that I can them to connect, but not to 'associate'. What
does that mean anyway ?

DC

Paul

Splendid

In article <20040607144347.05521.00000550@mb-m17.aol.com>,
sciencebaron@aol.com (ScienceBaron) wrote:

> I should have said that I can them to connect, but not to 'associate'. What
> does that mean anyway ?
>
> DC

Well, you are in a motherboard group, so expect us to be "out of
our league" answering networking questions.

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-138g/Multilingual_Install_100.zip

Looking at the manual, there is mention of matching the SSID,
whatever that is. It looks like your virtual LAN has a name,
and both parties have to use the same name (SSID) I'm guessing,
to connect. Notice how the Asus utility has a box called
"Association State" and the value says "connected". The
two devices also have to agree on Encryption and Authentication,
and I guess that is what enabling WEP is for, to give you some
security. Both parties should use the same key, so they can
talk to one another.

There isn't a lot to look at in that utility.

And Googling on "Association State" including the quotes, isn't
turning up anything relevant, implying it is a made up term
meaning roughly the same thing as "Connection State" ?

Is the WL-500g set up for DHCP, with room for at least one
client and a range of addresses defined ? Maybe your client
end doesn't know how to get an IP address, or the client
and router aren't agreeing on how to get the IP address
(as in enabling DHCP and using it). Private addresses suitable
for your virtual lan with WEP encryption, would be 192.168.x.x,
like say 192.168.1.2 .

Like most things on a computer, you'll just have to bash
on it some more till it works :)

If the WL-500g has Ethernet connectors on the back for
wired clients, I would want to test the config of the router
first via Ethernet and a wire from your client computer.
Once DHCP is set up, and your client computer can get an
IP address, and access DNS via your internet connection,
and you can surf, then and only then would I move over
to networking wirelessly. You know you can concentrate
on the wireless aspect, knowing the rest of it is in
good shape.

If you aren't using something like ICS on the client,
then each time you change network interfaces (i.e.
Ethernet or Wireless) will require a visit to your
friendly Networking Wizard, to set up one interface
as your chosen network interface. At least that is
what I would try.

Good luck,
Paul