P4C800-E motherboard - problem with cold boot seeing the I..

Hi gtoup,

Get a "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in
selected boot device and press a key" error when I cold boot my new
P4C800-E motherboard.
If I do a warm reset the drive is seen and everything works fine.

The drive is a Western Digital 80GB IDE and is set to master. No
other HDs attached.

This guy seems to be having similar issue:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50251

Any suggestions for things to try? Things to enable disable in the
BIOS? I am using rev 1016 of the BIOS. Things to change on the
motherboard?

Help???

thanks group,
Kelly Greer
kellygreer1@nospam.com
change nospam to yahoo

Paul

Splendid

In article <2523a97c.0406070851.6fee345@posting.google.com>,
kellygreer1@yahoo.com (Kelly Greer) wrote:

> Hi gtoup,
>
> Get a "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in
> selected boot device and press a key" error when I cold boot my new
> P4C800-E motherboard.
> If I do a warm reset the drive is seen and everything works fine.
>
> The drive is a Western Digital 80GB IDE and is set to master. No
> other HDs attached.
>
> This guy seems to be having similar issue:
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50251
>
> Any suggestions for things to try? Things to enable disable in the
> BIOS? I am using rev 1016 of the BIOS. Things to change on the
> motherboard?
>
> Help???
>
> thanks group,
> Kelly Greer
> kellygreer1@nospam.com
> change nospam to yahoo

Western Digital has some funny ideas about jumpering. Most drives
have three jumper positions, like Master, Slave, or Cable Select.
Western Digital has Master (single), meaning the drive is Master
and you don't plan on using a slave. Them, there is just Master,
implying you do have a slave to go with it. Then Slave, and Cable
Select. Try Cable Select, assuming you have a modern 80wire/40pin
connector cable to go with it. I think Master (single) might be
no jumpers at all, if you really want to try that. (Usually there
is a parking position for the jumper, so you won't lose it. In
the parking position, the jumper isn't shorting anything
important.)

HTH,
Paul

TRENDING THREADS