tomas

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I have a problem with floppy and XP.
Sometimes XP can't detect my disk with error
message "Insert floppy ..." (eventhough the floppy is
already in the drive and the LED light is on), sometimes
XP gives error "Floppy is unformatted ..." (which is not
the case because I've used it before) or even error
message like "The disk is formatted with MacIntosh..."
which is, again, not the case.
Once I worked with Win98 and then moved to XP. The floppy
worked fine in Win98 but when I inserted it to XP, the
machine said that it's formatted with MacIntosh.
This problem happens in random order :=). If it's my
lucky day :=), I don't get error message at all for the
whole day. Sometimes I can work for half day before error
message appear or even the problem starts in the morning.
If the error message appears, the floppy will be
useless. "Chkdsk /f" doesn't fix the floppy. Sometimes
Norton Disk Doctor can repair but most of the times can't.
Has anyone ever experienced this problem and has a
solution?

Thanks so much.
tomas.

tomas

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

When I searched through Google, I found out that this is
a common case with Windows XP. A lot of XP users
experienced the same problem. I'm just crossing my finger
that somebody has a solution for this. Otherwise I'll
downgrade my office system to Win2K or Win98. This
problem has already taken my time too much and made my
users very upset.
Just curious, how come Microsoft hasn't come up with
something to solve this problem as there are already a
lot of XP users experienced this problem?

tomas.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Tomas" <tdidi@tcet.com> wrote in message
> [...]

I don't find this to be an XP problem. Check the following....

Try the links below

In Win XP Will not read floppy drives or diskettes.
http://support.Microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282470

Floppy will not format under Win XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060&Product=win2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

I think this is the 'current' hardware compatibility link for x86 and
caution,
if that's a new dell box, dell aint too good on following 'industry
standard'
PC clone rules. The biggest problems are usually in the video card
and
(you've learned this) scsi or ata disk controller. try at first:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

Cause 1: This error can be caused if the Drive Image 2002 virtual
floppy files have been compressed by Windows XP. (The "Disk Cleanup"
feature in Windows XP has an option to compress files on NTFS
partitions if those files have not been accessed for a specific amount
of time.) When Drive Image reboots to true DOS mode to perform an
imaging task, it is unable to find the virtual floppy files it needs
to perform the task since DOS cannot access files that Windows XP has
compressed.

tomas

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

>I don't find this to be an XP problem.
>Check the following....
I do think this is the XP problem.

>In Win XP Will not read floppy drives or diskettes.
>http://support.Microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
>us;282470
No, this is not the case.

>Floppy will not format under Win XP
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
us;140060&Product=win2000
>us;140060
This is not about floppy formatting. The floppy was
already formatted when we bought them. Even if we
reformatted them, we still had the problem. One of the
error message we have is about "floppy is formatted in
MacIntosh". This is a very weird error message since this
is not the case at all.

>I think this is the 'current' hardware compatibility
>link for x86 and
>caution,
>if that's a new dell box, dell aint too good on
>following 'industry
>standard' PC clone rules.
The problem not only happens in Dell PCs. It also happens
to a clone PC. We have several PCs from various brands.

>Cause 1: This error can be caused if the Drive Image
2002 virtual
>floppy files have been compressed by Windows XP.
(The "Disk Cleanup"
>feature in Windows XP has an option to compress files on
NTFS
>partitions if those files have not been accessed for a
specific amount
>of time.) When Drive Image reboots to true DOS mode to
perform an
>imaging task, it is unable to find the virtual floppy
files it needs
>to perform the task since DOS cannot access files that
Windows XP has
>compressed.
I don't exactly understand this. Can you explain, pls.?

Sorry for the late reply, I'm very occupied lately,
especially trying to solve this problem. I think I'm
going to give up XP forever and move back to either Win2K
or (even) Win98.
I don't know if MS monitors this Newsgroups but
unfortunately no solution come from MS or Dell.
Thanks all.

Tomas
TDidi@tcet.com

tomas

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

us;140060

Forgot to mention, I checked the BPB Media Descriptor of
troubled floppy and it was ok. I meant the BPB showed the
right byte, ie F0.

Tomas
tdidi@tcet.com

I am not as verse as most of you here, but here are my experiences. Have
2 laptops, HP and Dell, also 3 cloned desktops, all running XP Pro.
Have 5 clones running 98SE.
Put formatted floppy in XP machine (any of them) and copy small XL file
to floppy. Seems to work fine. Shows file on floppy. Move to any other
XP or 98SE machine and no file recognized and message says floppy needs
formatting. Put back in original machine and same result. Try to format
& get message that unable to format (XP machine). Put blank formatted
floppy in XP machine and get same message. Put in 98SE machine and can
format and use between 98SE machines. Like I said in the beginning, I'm
probably not as experience as most of you, but if it smells like a
duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck-it's a duck, and
this is an XP problem.
Yes, I've checked cables, switched new floppy drives etc.

--
js289
js289's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=547