Maybe I am missing something. Help some more Please

I had a previous post about my USB 2.0 drivers not being seen in the device
manager as "Enhanced". I did everything that everyone recommended and still
does not reflect the 2.0 stuff. Can someone tell me what the latest of all
is in terms of drivers and whatnot? I am sure I installed everything. Even
went through BIOS and it says 1.1/2.0. I am using XP Pro. Should I post on a
Microsoft group and see if maybe it is a XP problem or something? My main
concern is a thumb drive that I have that supports USB 2.0 and a negative
scanner I have. Please help me through this. Is getting frustrating. Thanks
much.

Mark G. wrote:
> I had a previous post about my USB 2.0 drivers not being seen in the
> device manager as "Enhanced".

How many are there? Two should be Standard OHCI and one should be Enhanced.

> I did everything that everyone recommended
> and still does not reflect the 2.0 stuff. Can someone tell me what the
> latest of all is in terms of drivers and whatnot?

XP SP1, I think. And of course the latest nVidia nForce drivers, 4.24 I
think.

Ben

Look at this link and you will see what it says under device manager under
the universal serial:

http://home.comcast.net/~cadman_meg/Misc-Pics/USB20.jpg

As you see, there are 2 OCH and they are both just standard. I have tried
everything I can think of and I am very computer literate and usually can
figure things out but am having a tough time with this one. Is very
frustrating. Like I said, I have done the following:

1. Installed software from the ASUS's drivers CD.
2. All relevant updates for XP Pro from MS site.
3. Made sure that my BIOS said 1.1/2.0 under the correct location.
4. Went through device manager under right-clicked to update current driver.

All of this is still no USB 2.0. What other ideas do you folks have? Would
really like to get this fixed.

Mark G. wrote:
> Look at this link and you will see what it says under device manager under
> the universal serial:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~cadman_meg/Misc-Pics/USB20.jpg
>
> As you see, there are 2 OCH and they are both just standard. I have tried
> everything I can think of and I am very computer literate and usually can
> figure things out but am having a tough time with this one. Is very
> frustrating. Like I said, I have done the following:
>
> 1. Installed software from the ASUS's drivers CD.
> 2. All relevant updates for XP Pro from MS site.
> 3. Made sure that my BIOS said 1.1/2.0 under the correct location.
> 4. Went through device manager under right-clicked to update current
> driver.
>
> All of this is still no USB 2.0. What other ideas do you folks have? Would
> really like to get this fixed.

See if the device has been enumerated at all... check the registry, some
thing like:

OHCI
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0067&SUBSY
S_0C111043&REV_A4\3&13c0b0c5&1&10

EHCI
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0068&SUBSY
S_0C111043&REV_A4\3&13c0b0c5&1&12

Check the DeviceDesc under those (or similar) keys.

Ben

That looks like it is referring to a PCI device. Both of those are there. I
also just uninstalled all of the USB devices and rebooted. I also
uninstalled the mouse software as well because that is the one that seems to
have the most difficulty. In fact it was coming to the point that each time
I rebooted that I would have to unplug and then replug it back into the USB
port. Once I did that and came back to windows, XP automatically installed
everything on the USB drive but I still do not have any USB 2.0 and I do not
have the mouse software either which allows me control over what the 4
buttons on my mouse does. If you or anyone can offer more suggestions, it
would be greatly appreciated. Do not understand why I can not go to 2.0 and
also why I was having to unplug and replug my mouse USB cable back and forth
to get to work. Thanks and hope to hear more soon.

Mark G. wrote:
> That looks like it is referring to a PCI device.

It is. The USB controllers.

> Both of those are there.

Then the USB2 exists, and is being enumerated, so it's most likely a driver
problem, not a hardware one.

> I also just uninstalled all of the USB devices and rebooted. I also
> uninstalled the mouse software as well because that is the one that seems
> to have the most difficulty. In fact it was coming to the point that each
> time I rebooted that I would have to unplug and then replug it back into
> the USB port. Once I did that and came back to windows, XP automatically
> installed everything on the USB drive but I still do not have any USB 2.0
> and I do not have the mouse software either which allows me control over
> what the 4 buttons on my mouse does. If you or anyone can offer more
> suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Do not understand why I can
> not go to 2.0 and also why I was having to unplug and replug my mouse USB
> cable back and forth to get to work. Thanks and hope to hear more soon.

OK, since the device has been enumerated, it should tell you the location of
the driver, on mine, the EHCI driver is at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11C
F-8056-444553540000}\0002

You should see the
{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}\0002

Bit in the key I described before:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0068&SUBSY
S_0C111043&REV_A4\3&13c0b0c5&1&12\Driver

Now, the top key should describe the driver installed. It seems that you
only have 2 devices, both OHCI, so this should be interesting.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11
CF-8056-444553540000}\0002]
"EnumPropPages32"="usbui.dll,USBControllerPropPageProvider"
"Controller"=hex:01
"InfPath"="oem5.inf"
"InfSection"="EHCI"
"InfSectionExt"=".NT"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,00,fe,cc,2d,ea,c0,01
"DriverDate"="6-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="pci\\cc_0c0320"
"DriverDesc"="Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"
"CoInstallers32"=hex(7):68,00,63,00,63,00,6f,00,69,00,6e,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,0
0,\

6c,00,2c,00,48,00,43,00,43,00,4f,00,49,00,4e,00,5f,00,45,00,6e,00,74,00,72,\
00,79,00,00,00,00,00
"EnIdleEndpointSupport"=dword:00000000

Do you have anything like this? If so, you should see the driver in Device
Manager, and it will be called the value of DriverDesc

If you go to the parent and check the Default key, that will be the class
description - it should be "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

ALL hidden devices can be viewed by doing:

Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
Devmgmt.msc

At a command prompt, and then going View->Show Hidden Devices

Ben