A7V8X-X and PC3200/2700 Ram units

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2004 5:39:45 AM

Hello everybody,

sorry for my english, but I'm french...

I've bought an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and tried to install on it a pair of
PC3200 Ram memories (2 x 512Mo).
My computer didn't start ! (long "bips", without BIOS display)
I put off one of the Ram units (slot 2) and... my computer worked well !!!

I asked to Asus site if a good reason for this, but never have any answer !
:-((

Is somebody here could know what is the problem ? J've changed my PC3200 by
another pair of Ram units (2 x 512Mo of PC2700), and the problem is EXACTLY
the same as with the PC3200 modules.

Thanks a lot to everybody who could tell me what to do about this problem

ATOMIZER (Paris/France)
June 8, 2004 5:39:46 AM

had a similar issue.

built computer using this board and 2*512m ddr333 (pc2700) about 2 months
ago.
worked ok for about a month then stopped recognizing anything more than the
first slot.

i know the memory works, tested it in 2 other rigs, also tried other other
memory in this
board. have run memtest86 for overnight on all memory sticks with no
issues, ran
prime 95 for a couple days without issue.

have been in touch with asus tech support but they have been of little help.

amd 2500+
asus a7v8x-x
1010 bios
512m ddr333
sapphire 9800 pro
antec 430w ps

good luck, any suggestions are welcome.

thanks
john

"servtech" <pasdemail@chez.moi> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
>
> sorry for my english, but I'm french...
>
> I've bought an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and tried to install on it a pair
of
> PC3200 Ram memories (2 x 512Mo).
> My computer didn't start ! (long "bips", without BIOS display)
> I put off one of the Ram units (slot 2) and... my computer worked well !!!
>
> I asked to Asus site if a good reason for this, but never have any answer
!
> :-((
>
> Is somebody here could know what is the problem ? J've changed my PC3200
by
> another pair of Ram units (2 x 512Mo of PC2700), and the problem is
EXACTLY
> the same as with the PC3200 modules.
>
> Thanks a lot to everybody who could tell me what to do about this problem
>
> ATOMIZER (Paris/France)

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2004 5:44:08 AM

I forgot to say that I've downloaded and installed the last BIOS version for
Asus A7V8-X available on Asus Internet site...

Thank you for your attention.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2004 8:03:49 AM

=|[ servtech's ]|= wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> sorry for my english, but I'm french...
>
> I've bought an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and tried to install on it a pair of
> PC3200 Ram memories (2 x 512Mo).
> My computer didn't start ! (long "bips", without BIOS display)
> I put off one of the Ram units (slot 2) and... my computer worked well !!!
>
> I asked to Asus site if a good reason for this, but never have any answer !
> :-((
>
> Is somebody here could know what is the problem ? J've changed my PC3200 by
> another pair of Ram units (2 x 512Mo of PC2700), and the problem is EXACTLY
> the same as with the PC3200 modules.
>
> Thanks a lot to everybody who could tell me what to do about this problem
>
> ATOMIZER (Paris/France)

Lol! I dont believe it, you should be able to boot and run the same mem at
100 - 133MHz or 166 instead of 200

come on try the Bios you crazy beachbum!
--
' gonzalez driodstone
pief

servtech wrote:

> I forgot to say that I've downloaded and installed the last BIOS version
> for Asus A7V8-X available on Asus Internet site...
>
> Thank you for your attention.

I think the previous message was asking you to check your memory speed
settings in BIOS (make sure set at 166/333 - can't remember what it
says:-). The KT400 chipset had limitations regarding memory modules. The
section below pulled from Asus FAQs

"PC3200 maximum to 2 banks only and PC2700 maximum to 4 banks only"
Could you explain more in detail?

Simply to say, one single sided DIMM means one bank, one double sided DIMM
means two banks, two single sided DIMMs means two banks, etc.
Hence, e.g. you can install one pcs double sided PC3200 or two pcs single
sided PC3200

I personally would avoid PC3200 on this board because of the above
limitation. I think you can run async (cpu333/mem400) but with little speed
benefit if any. PC2700 seems to be the sweet spot for this chipset.

You should be OK with 2 x PC2700 memory though (in any combination) make
sure it is set as 166/333 (can't remember what the screen says) in the
BIOS.

Karl
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2004 7:05:59 PM

"Karl" a dit :

> I think the previous message was asking you to check your memory speed
> settings in BIOS (make sure set at 166/333 - can't remember what it
> says:-). The KT400 chipset had limitations regarding memory modules. The
> section below pulled from Asus FAQs

> "PC3200 maximum to 2 banks only and PC2700 maximum to 4 banks only"
> Could you explain more in detail?
>
> Simply to say, one single sided DIMM means one bank, one double sided DIMM
> means two banks, two single sided DIMMs means two banks, etc.
> Hence, e.g. you can install one pcs double sided PC3200 or two pcs single
> sided PC3200
>
> I personally would avoid PC3200 on this board because of the above
> limitation. I think you can run async (cpu333/mem400) but with little
speed
> benefit if any. PC2700 seems to be the sweet spot for this chipset.
>
> You should be OK with 2 x PC2700 memory though (in any combination) make
> sure it is set as 166/333 (can't remember what the screen says) in the
> BIOS.
>
> Karl

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I just understood what could be the problem
with the PC3200 Ram units :
all the Ram units I bought were "double-side" (chips on every side)
In saying "2 banks only", it is normal that I had a problem with a paire of
PC3200 units 512Mo "double-side" (so, I had "4 banks" with this Ram units).

BUT (!!!) : "4 banks" sould be acceptable with PC2700 and it wasn't too :
the problem was exactly the same like with the PC3200 Ram units (the PC2700
is also 512Mo "double-side")

So, I continue to believe that there is a problem with the A7V8X-X
motherboard. I confirm that I tried (in starting with only ONE Ram unit) to
save BIOS params manualy, in giving the good values. But noway, the PC didn'
start when I installed the second Ram unit...

Well, I continue to read all comments about that !

Thanks a lot for your conribution.

ATOMIZER (Paris-France)

=============================
Subsidiary question : why Asus NEVER answer to the mails we can send to them
???????? (I've sent two mails now, and they are "read" but, no answer...
(not a "very good commercial politic system" !)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2004 7:20:49 PM

"John" a dit :

> had a similar issue.
>
> built computer using this board and 2*512m ddr333 (pc2700) about 2 months
> ago.
> worked ok for about a month then stopped recognizing anything more than
the
> first slot.
>
> i know the memory works, tested it in 2 other rigs, also tried other other
> memory in this
> board. have run memtest86 for overnight on all memory sticks with no
> issues, ran
> prime 95 for a couple days without issue.
>
> have been in touch with asus tech support but they have been of little
help.

> amd 2500+
> asus a7v8x-x
> 1010 bios
> 512m ddr333
> sapphire 9800 pro
> antec 430w ps
>
> good luck, any suggestions are welcome.
>
> thanks
> john

Well, I'm afraid "something's wrong" with this kind of motherboard !!!

Nearly the same config *, and EXACTLY the same problem ? We cann't be
responsible...
What says Asus about that issue ? (they NEVER answered to my questions, by
e-mail... :-((

*
Amd 2800+
Asus A7V8X-X
1010 BIOS
512Mo DDR 333 PC2700 "double-side" (I expected 1Go with 2 units ! :-((
NVidia FX5700

Waht the params are "default" (automatic) or manualy confugured on the
motherboard, the problem with the Ram, PC3200 or PC2700, is exactly the same
for me : my PC NEVER started with 2 units of Ram "double-side" (= "4 banks")
installed.

Nota, I installed some "old" PC133 DDR PC2100 in this config :
Slot 1 : 1 "double-side" PC2100 512Mo Ram unit
Slot 2 : 1 "simple-side" PC2100 128Mo Ram unit
Slot 3 : 1 "simple-side" PC2100 128Mo Ram unit
In this config, my PC start normaly and works well, but the proc runs only
on 1660MHz.

I just bought now a PC2700 1Go Ram unit, and I'll come back her to say you
what append when it will be installed

Thanks a lot for your contribution

ATOMIZER (Paris-France)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2004 4:15:38 AM

"Creeping Stone" a dit :

> >> come on try the Bios you crazy beachbum!
>>
> maybe talking to myself ;)
> wasnt sure, you were french because post was so fluent,
> I thought you might be impersonating like inspector Clusoe
> but your ip is french

Sure...

> so you must be!

or not ! ;-))
(I could only leave in France (my IP is OK with that) BUT not necessary...
to be French !
Well, I am French and I'm leaving near Paris... and always have a problem
with my Asus A7V8X-X motherboard !)

A+

ATOMIZER (Paris - France)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2004 9:08:35 PM

=|[ servtech's ]|= wrote:
>... and always have a problem
> with my Asus A7V8X-X motherboard !)

It should settle with the right settings *G
If it stays flakey, slowing cpu can fix cpu related and power and heat
related problems.
Mine has been thrashed and cooked and twisted and fumbled and
its still going strong.

There might be some bad bios revisions though, mine had problems with rev
1007 -i think.

gl,
--
' gathering moss,
android

"Creeping Stone" a dit :

> =|[ servtech's ]|= wrote:
> >... and always have a problem
> > with my Asus A7V8X-X motherboard !)
> >
> It should settle with the right settings *G
> If it stays flakey, slowing cpu can fix cpu related and power and heat
> related problems.

I've monitored all my params (hard and soft), and not dicover any problem...

> Mine has been thrashed and cooked and twisted and fumbled and
> its still going strong.

Sometimes, mine too (old procs !), but they work well until today (for
exemple, an very old PII 300MHz that works wery well to 412 MHz (+116MHz =
+38% !) for 6 years ago, on a DFI P2XBL motherboard. I've also another DFI
motherboard, with an old AMD T-Bird 1,3GHz that works very well too. So, I
believe I do what it must be do for all my computers, until now...)

> There might be some bad bios revisions though, mine had problems with rev
> 1007 -i think.

3 BIOS, and 3 times the same problems !... Could it be 3 "errors" from Asus
?

THX for your help

A+
!