Should XP auto-reboot after CHKDSK?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I use XP Pro. It is on an NTFS partition.

I scheduled a disk check by selecting the option to Error Check the
disk in the tools tab of the C drive's properties. I asked it to
autmatically fix any errors.

I rebooted the PC and I got an XP logo and then the disk check ran.
After the disk check the PC rebooted itself.

Is this normal? Or does this point to some sort of problem?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
> I use XP Pro. It is on an NTFS partition.
>
> I scheduled a disk check by selecting the option to Error Check the
> disk in the tools tab of the C drive's properties. I asked it to
> autmatically fix any errors.
>
> I rebooted the PC and I got an XP logo and then the disk check ran.
> After the disk check the PC rebooted itself.
>
> Is this normal? Or does this point to some sort of problem?

That is normal after doing its check of the disk. If you need to see the
results of the check, go to "Computer management", then "Event Viewer", then
look for "Winlogon" in the mani pane, and open that up, it will tell you the
results.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

CHKDSK runs before Windows XP boots, when it has been
scheduled. As the computer begins to boot, it detects the
command, boots the to just the command line, runs and then
when finished reboots into Windows XP GUI. So, it is
normal.

If you multiple drives or partitions you can run chkdsk on
the non-system partitions and that will run in the GUI
immediately.

"Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
| I use XP Pro. It is on an NTFS partition.
|
| I scheduled a disk check by selecting the option to Error
Check the
| disk in the tools tab of the C drive's properties. I
asked it to
| autmatically fix any errors.
|
| I rebooted the PC and I got an XP logo and then the disk
check ran.
| After the disk check the PC rebooted itself.
|
| Is this normal? Or does this point to some sort of
problem?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
> I use XP Pro. It is on an NTFS partition.
>
> I scheduled a disk check by selecting the option to Error Check the
> disk in the tools tab of the C drive's properties. I asked it to
> autmatically fix any errors.
>
> I rebooted the PC and I got an XP logo and then the disk check ran.
> After the disk check the PC rebooted itself.
>
> Is this normal? Or does this point to some sort of problem?

If you read the blurb before rebooting you would know that
this is normal.

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote:

> "Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
>> I use XP Pro. It is on an NTFS partition.
>>
>> I scheduled a disk check by selecting the option to Error
>> Check the disk in the tools tab of the C drive's properties.
>> I asked it to autmatically fix any errors.
>>
>> I rebooted the PC and I got an XP logo and then the disk
>> check ran. After the disk check the PC rebooted itself.
>>
>> Is this normal? Or does this point to some sort of problem?
>
> If you read the blurb before rebooting you would know that
> this is normal.

Which blurb?