P4P800-E delux +radeon 9800Pro visual artefacts and perfor..

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Overclocking
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2004 12:05:48 AM

Just noticed the scariest thing while using the latest ATI drivers on their site
under Win98se. Slight overclocking [+10%] of the CPU seemed to be stable,
but when I noticed this I stopped and reverted to the ATI drivers provided on CD.
detail / 1Gig Kingston Value ram: Cas3 / ANTEC 480Watts.

All was fine for a dozen hours in and out. Then the image quality started showing
slight horizontal artefacts, weaving like intensity. Then it got worse and worse.
I had to act, so despite ASUS probe showing normal temperatures;
I opened the case, and reverted to no cpu overclocking at all.
Even uninstalled latest ATI drivers and Catalyst, to be replaced by the originals ASAP.
Every artefacts stopped and the quality is now back to excellent.
I ran an old 3DMark2000 1.1 bench, and it gave me even better
results than under 10% overclock.. Say a jump from 16 hundred some to above
17 hundreds.. And consistantly over 17 hundreds now.
Therefore, 10% CPU overclocking using AI overclock can be quite deceiving.
Or are the older ATI drivers that much preferable ?

I closes the computer case to determine if the Radeon card temperature is
responsible or borderline. And for some reasons, I fell asleep like a baby.
Waking-up only fours hour later to observe that the natural light demo was
still spinning in perfect pace, no visual artefacts at all...

My logical conclusion would be that, since it works clean at default CPU settings,
and even slightly better 3D with this default installation than a slight AI overclock and
latest GFX rivers. Why bother ?.. Even the performance difference I measured using
these demos and benchmarks reveal virtually no difference between AGP 4x and AGP 8x.

IMHO The obvious evil side effects even to slight overlcocking GFX/CPU setup
insidiously grew worse with time. Must be temperature taking its toll on the Gfx card.

BEWARE if you seek this little extra in a similat setup.
Unless you apply extra hardware cooling strategie$$ of course; It's hard to notice from
the ASUS probe alone.

You should have seen the ATI slow visual deterioration on the monitor.
the image was slowly melting away.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

My two cents.
Cheers.

More about : p4p800 delux radeon 9800pro visual artefacts perfor

June 8, 2004 3:11:35 AM

In article <J4-dnckJd_qbnljdRVn_iw@look.ca>, "James Bald"
<Rutherford@NOSPAM.ever> wrote:

> Just noticed the scariest thing while using the latest ATI drivers on
their site
> under Win98se. Slight overclocking [+10%] of the CPU seemed to be stable,
> but when I noticed this I stopped and reverted to the ATI drivers
provided on CD.
> detail / 1Gig Kingston Value ram: Cas3 / ANTEC 480Watts.
>
> All was fine for a dozen hours in and out. Then the image quality
started showing
> slight horizontal artefacts, weaving like intensity. Then it got worse
and worse.
> I had to act, so despite ASUS probe showing normal temperatures;
> I opened the case, and reverted to no cpu overclocking at all.
> Even uninstalled latest ATI drivers and Catalyst, to be replaced by the
originals ASAP.
> Every artefacts stopped and the quality is now back to excellent.
> I ran an old 3DMark2000 1.1 bench, and it gave me even better
> results than under 10% overclock.. Say a jump from 16 hundred some to above
> 17 hundreds.. And consistantly over 17 hundreds now.
> Therefore, 10% CPU overclocking using AI overclock can be quite deceiving.
> Or are the older ATI drivers that much preferable ?
>
> I closes the computer case to determine if the Radeon card temperature is
> responsible or borderline. And for some reasons, I fell asleep like a baby.
> Waking-up only fours hour later to observe that the natural light demo was
> still spinning in perfect pace, no visual artefacts at all...
>
> My logical conclusion would be that, since it works clean at default CPU
settings,
> and even slightly better 3D with this default installation than a slight
AI overclock and
> latest GFX rivers. Why bother ?.. Even the performance difference I
measured using
> these demos and benchmarks reveal virtually no difference between AGP 4x
and AGP 8x.

> IMHO The obvious evil side effects even to slight overlcocking GFX/CPU setup
> insidiously grew worse with time. Must be temperature taking its toll on
the Gfx card.

> BEWARE if you seek this little extra in a similat setup.
> Unless you apply extra hardware cooling strategie$$ of course; It's hard
to notice from
> the ASUS probe alone.
>
> You should have seen the ATI slow visual deterioration on the monitor.
> the image was slowly melting away.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> My two cents.
> Cheers.

Try a search on abxzone.com for the two terms artifact and P4P800.
You'll find threads like this, which notes overclocking at 1:1
FSB:MEM can cause artifacts on the video card:

http://abxzone.com/forums/search.php
http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275&highli...

This is thought to be related to the choice of Northbridge, and
the fact that Intel bins them for performance.

You can try 5:4 ratio, by selecting "DDR333" for the memory. Then
see if your artifacts disappear.

Also, for the ATI9800, feel the two inductors near the top center of the
card. On mine, these get quite hot while 3D code is running. I
currently have an 80mm fan blowing on the card, to try to keep them
cool. As I don't know what kind of core these have, I'm keeping them
cool for now.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2004 7:34:47 AM

I'm back ! :)
With a good explanation that should conclude this thread and reassure
those who think about a P4P800-E delux as their next upgrade solution.

Everything came down to two things.
The OLD Proview monitor was the cause of all this messy display,
Nothing to do with overclocking, nor heating of the Radeon9800Pro.
That is consistent with my post stating temperatures seemed normal.
And even the radeon felt barely warm.

What happened is the ProView monitor is not PnP compliant, yet
I was driving it out of specs at1280x960. At that resolution, it can hold
for a few minutes but eventually artefacts start to appear. I noticed this
upon swapping the monitor to my old machine and setting such high resolution.
Same happened but this time on a trusty old TnT2Ultra.
The vertical fuzzy shaking is also a ProView problem I thought fixed,
a defective contact inside, end of story.

Another thing is Radeon9800's 'smarter' monitor detection software.
When the monitor is internally failing, the Radeon card might end-up
limiting resolutions from display properties a lot.

All the Horz weavy display, is due to my running it too fast...Causing the ProView
electronics to overheat and risking its death. The Vertical snake like dancing line,
appears while the horizontal retrace is getting a sync pulse, while the monitor is
not fast enough to be already at left position.... So it shows as a dim pale line..
In a way, I just saved the monitor...The computer was A1-Okay all the time.

The fact that I was undergoing CPU overclocking tests is then irrelevent.
Except that the conclusion about performances might remain true, 2 cents well spend.
Using AI overclock of 10%; Running a 2.8C at 3Ghz did affect RAM performances,
and/or AGP video access in a way that reduced overall 3D performances.
AI overclock 'might' get better results with faster ram; Not my CAS3 PC3200.

At this time, I skipped every problem by installing Win2K on what I used to think
was Win98SE but really was a golden Win98.

I shall post soon about the single one issue left, regarding ATAPI CDROM
acces affecting the onboard sound chipset performance.

I strongly recomment my current Hardware configuration.
Make no mistake.. That VALUE Kingston KVR Cas3, 512MB*2 is giving
me slightly better performances than a P4 2.8B using CL2 PC1066 RDRAM,
on a i850E chipset.
I'm not overclocking anything right now...Been burning-in this baby like phoenix.

The image quality on my NEC monitor is bliss with a 9800 with such a fillrate.
Upon installing the ATI power demos, SANDRA also confirms that it's been
finally set at AGP8x, FastWrite ON.

Now I understand why so many switch to XP or NT based later OS, from the
ease of installation.
This motherboard is the best thing since the BX440 chipset :)
Regards

!