USB use causes Blue Scree

birdie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002

I have a new computer. When I plug in some USB devices
the computer does not recognize them. Everything looks
fine in Device Manager. My zip drive works and printer
works. I bought a jump drive and that does not work. My
Palm Pilot causes a Blue Screen (physical memory dump)
when I plug it in and I see found new device. Can someone
tell me what the problem might be. Thank you

Sandman

Do you have SP1 installed?..Is USB 2.0 enabled on your mobo?. are your
printer and Zip drive USB?..Are you getting error or warning messages in the
taskbar saying you have a high speed USB device connected to a low speed
port? And lastly, have you gone into Control Panel and Compter management
applet ot activate your flash device and see if it has been assigned a
letter?

Birdie wrote:
> I have a new computer. When I plug in some USB devices
> the computer does not recognize them. Everything looks
> fine in Device Manager. My zip drive works and printer
> works. I bought a jump drive and that does not work. My
> Palm Pilot causes a Blue Screen (physical memory dump)
> when I plug it in and I see found new device. Can someone
> tell me what the problem might be. Thank you

Always, *always*, check the installation instruction for all devices
before connecting to your computer. Some need a driver installed before
the device is connected, some need no separate driver, some must be
connected during driver installation - there is no hard and fast rule.
For the Palm device, you must install the Palm Desktop which contains
the driver before you try to connect the palm. For the USB drive, it
might take up to a minute for the device to be recognized the first
time.

birdie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002

Yes, I SP1 installed, My printer, zip drive, scanner and
my digital camera are all USB. My printer, zip and
scanner are always plugged in the back USB 2.0 and they
work fine. I have 2 USB on the front. My camera is fine.
The only problem is the Palm Pilot. I can't check the
Palm because as soon as I plug it in and turn it on it
shows device found and the screen goes blue.