smart data

Is it possible to read the S.M.A.R.T data on drives attached
to the Promise RAID controller on a P4C800 Deluxe MB?
If it is how do I.
Aida32 will read it from drives on the regular IDE ports.

Jim M

Paul

Splendid

In article <VL6dnXFABKszr1vdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, "JBM"
<jmanning95@hotimail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to read the S.M.A.R.T data on drives attached
> to the Promise RAID controller on a P4C800 Deluxe MB?
> If it is how do I.
> Aida32 will read it from drives on the regular IDE ports.
>
> Jim M

I have a copy of the Promise Array Management Utility
manual, and in the FastTrak Options section, there
is a check box "Enable SMART Check". But the question
remains, what software can read it, once it is enabled.
I don't know whether it is strictly associated with
ATA/IDE drives or whether your copy of AIDA will see
the Promise RAID drives, once that check box has
enabled the function.

If all that PAM is doing, is setting up a registry
setting, you might keep the key it sets, and uninstall
PAM, to save on unnecessary clutter.

Have fun,
Paul

> In article <VL6dnXFABKszr1vdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, "JBM"
> <jmanning95@hotimail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to read the S.M.A.R.T data on drives attached
> > to the Promise RAID controller on a P4C800 Deluxe MB?
> > If it is how do I.
> > Aida32 will read it from drives on the regular IDE ports.
> >
> > Jim M
>
> I have a copy of the Promise Array Management Utility
> manual, and in the FastTrak Options section, there
> is a check box "Enable SMART Check". But the question
> remains, what software can read it, once it is enabled.
> I don't know whether it is strictly associated with
> ATA/IDE drives or whether your copy of AIDA will see
> the Promise RAID drives, once that check box has
> enabled the function.
>
> If all that PAM is doing, is setting up a registry
> setting, you might keep the key it sets, and uninstall
> PAM, to save on unnecessary clutter.
>
> Have fun,
> Paul

Thanks didn't think of that. I installed PAM and get a SMART
status of functional on each drive. I was getting errors in scan
disk which were always in the directory used by system restore.
I disabled then reenabled system restore and the errors went away.

Jim M