CPU slower than it should be

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have just finished building my own computer.
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz Hyperthreading
PC3200 512Kb Ram

They problem is that my computer is unstable when set to
2.8Ghz. I have installed Windows XP Pro, but to do so I
had to set the BIOS to Fail-Safe defaults. After
installation was over I set BIOS to Optimized defaults.
Windows loads up, I log in and everything seems fine.
When I try to run any programs or access the hard drive I
get errors. The computer shutsdown, loads back up, it
runs chkdsk, it finds files missing everywhere, says it
fixed them, and cause more errors and restarts again.
The board says it supports Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
hyperthreading with 800Mhz Front side bus and the Ram
runs at 400Mhz.

The computer runs fine with fail-safe defaults loaded,
but it runs at 1.86Ghz hyperthreading and the RAM runs at
333Mhz. Sure it runs fine, but I paid for 2.8Ghz, not
1.8.

Any help will be gratefull.

I have also tried finding a BIOS upgrade and have had no
luck.

It is not uncommon for parts to be "accidentally"
mislabeled. You didn't say details such as mobo and power
supply. It is possible that your P4 2.8 is designed for a
533 bus and not an 800.
AS another said, get EVEREST and see all the details about
your system. It will show the details such as actual mfg'r,
serial numbers, model numbers and you can find out what is
what.

"Chris" <dude99_00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| I have just finished building my own computer.
| Pentium 4 2.8Ghz Hyperthreading
| PC3200 512Kb Ram
|
| They problem is that my computer is unstable when set to
| 2.8Ghz. I have installed Windows XP Pro, but to do so I
| had to set the BIOS to Fail-Safe defaults. After
| installation was over I set BIOS to Optimized defaults.
| Windows loads up, I log in and everything seems fine.
| When I try to run any programs or access the hard drive I
| get errors. The computer shutsdown, loads back up, it
| runs chkdsk, it finds files missing everywhere, says it
| fixed them, and cause more errors and restarts again.
| The board says it supports Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
| hyperthreading with 800Mhz Front side bus and the Ram
| runs at 400Mhz.
|
| The computer runs fine with fail-safe defaults loaded,
| but it runs at 1.86Ghz hyperthreading and the RAM runs at
| 333Mhz. Sure it runs fine, but I paid for 2.8Ghz, not
| 1.8.
|
| Any help will be gratefull.
|
| I have also tried finding a BIOS upgrade and have had no
| luck.

"Chris" <dude99_00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just finished building my own computer.
> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz Hyperthreading
> PC3200 512Kb Ram
>
> They problem is that my computer is unstable when set to
> 2.8Ghz. I have installed Windows XP Pro, but to do so I
> had to set the BIOS to Fail-Safe defaults. After
> installation was over I set BIOS to Optimized defaults.
> Windows loads up, I log in and everything seems fine.
> When I try to run any programs or access the hard drive I
> get errors. The computer shutsdown, loads back up, it
> runs chkdsk, it finds files missing everywhere, says it
> fixed them, and cause more errors and restarts again.

Check your RAM specs to see whether they they are
what they're supposed to be: download EVEREST from
http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=5
and run it to find out. Click on "SPD" under "Motherboard".

-- Bob Day
Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software, now with
adjustable motion sensitivity, at: http://bobday.vze.com.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Chris" <dude99_00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just finished building my own computer.
> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz Hyperthreading
> PC3200 512Kb Ram
>
> They problem is that my computer is unstable when set to
> 2.8Ghz. I have installed Windows XP Pro, but to do so I
> had to set the BIOS to Fail-Safe defaults. After
> installation was over I set BIOS to Optimized defaults.
> Windows loads up, I log in and everything seems fine.
> When I try to run any programs or access the hard drive I
> get errors. The computer shutsdown, loads back up, it
> runs chkdsk, it finds files missing everywhere, says it
> fixed them, and cause more errors and restarts again.
> The board says it supports Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
> hyperthreading with 800Mhz Front side bus and the Ram
> runs at 400Mhz.
>
> The computer runs fine with fail-safe defaults loaded,
> but it runs at 1.86Ghz hyperthreading and the RAM runs at
> 333Mhz. Sure it runs fine, but I paid for 2.8Ghz, not
> 1.8.
>
> Any help will be gratefull.
>
> I have also tried finding a BIOS upgrade and have had no
> luck.

a) Not enough information.
b) Go to Intel's web page and download the CPU ID
and the chipset ID utilities.
c) You probably have a hardware mismatch somewhere.