jeff

I am attempting to connect a Visioneer 8650 scanner to my computer.
I've had a heck of time getting it configured, however, I seem to have
some luck in one scenario. When the scanner is the only device
connected on my 8 available USB ports it can be connected and used as
advertised. (Well, almost, if you can excuse the ADF paper jams, but
that's another issue for a different post.)

When I add my additional devices, USB ports (2) from my Dell monitor
(model: 1703FPt) and the Linksys (2.4GHz 802.11b) wireless USB network
adapter, the scanner looses connection and cannot be re-connected
with. When I reboot, with all USB devices connected, the scanner does
not show up in the Device Manager. When I move the scanner to a
different USB port, any different USB port, the Device Manager lists
it as an Unknown Device.

I have used Visioneer's SARA online help and have executed the various
options and steps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times I
think I could write the steps down from memory. It was SARA that led
me to the scenario of connecting the scanner as the only USB device.
I have now reached the limits of SARA. Since Visioneer offers support
M-F Pacific I am hoping someone can help over the weekend.

I am running Windows XP Pro, version 2002, service pack 1 and have
installed the latest driver from Visioneer for the 8650 and XP o/s. I
have the scanner connected to a Dell Dimension 4600. It uses an Intel
chipset for the USB.

Thanks in advance!

Usually this is caused by an insufficient power supply unit... each USB port
needs power.... if too many are powered up, one will not work. Solution....
either purchase a powered USB hub or upgrade your PSU.

I'd suggest a minimum of 420watt... if not more.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message news:<udagCasOEHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Usually this is caused by an insufficient power supply unit... each USB port
> needs power.... if too many are powered up, one will not work. Solution....
> either purchase a powered USB hub or upgrade your PSU.
>
> I'd suggest a minimum of 420watt... if not more.
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
> "Jeff" <jcox858@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I am attempting to connect a Visioneer 8650 scanner to my computer.
> > I've had a heck of time getting it configured, however, I seem to have
> > some luck in one scenario. When the scanner is the only device
> > connected on my 8 available USB ports it can be connected and used as
> > advertised. (Well, almost, if you can excuse the ADF paper jams, but
> > that's another issue for a different post.)
> >
> > When I add my additional devices, USB ports (2) from my Dell monitor
> > (model: 1703FPt) and the Linksys (2.4GHz 802.11b) wireless USB network
> > adapter, the scanner looses connection and cannot be re-connected
> > with. When I reboot, with all USB devices connected, the scanner does
> > not show up in the Device Manager. When I move the scanner to a
> > different USB port, any different USB port, the Device Manager lists
> > it as an Unknown Device.
> >
> > I have used Visioneer's SARA online help and have executed the various
> > options and steps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled so many times I
> > think I could write the steps down from memory. It was SARA that led
> > me to the scenario of connecting the scanner as the only USB device.
> > I have now reached the limits of SARA. Since Visioneer offers support
> > M-F Pacific I am hoping someone can help over the weekend.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP Pro, version 2002, service pack 1 and have
> > installed the latest driver from Visioneer for the 8650 and XP o/s. I
> > have the scanner connected to a Dell Dimension 4600. It uses an Intel
> > chipset for the USB.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

I've been thinking this scanner is a POS, but, I'll give the powered
USB hub a try once the stores open. It can't hurt to have one around!
I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!

Cari, thanks for the input regarding the powered USB hub. I tried it
but it was not the cure. I can't get the scanner to connect at all
now. It was a bad purchase decision. Live and learn... I'm going to
return this scanner and buy another brand. Thanks for the response!