A7N8X Deluxe-SATA Drv Questions?

Although I have subject board, have not done anything with the SATA Drive
capabilities. Currently using just the IDE Drive controllers. Find the
users manual leaves a lot to be desired with regard to the boards SATA
capabilities. I have more questions than it answers,by far. Manual seems to
indicate that I can use the SATA drives only in a RAID configuration, but
not sure about that. I have purchased two 120G WD SATA Drives, but have no
need for a RAID setup. Would appreciate knowledgeable comments and/or
answers to the following questions specifically with reference to subject
board:

a. Can the SATA drives be used in the same fashion as IDE? Only reason to do
so, if possible, is it seems to clearly be a simpler connection, and perhaps
some performance increase.
b. IF a above is affirmative, then can SATA drives be used along with IDE
drives in a non RAID manner? That is one or more IDE drives simultaneously
in operation with one or more SATA drives.
c. If a & b affirmative, can one copy, move and/or otherwise transfer data
between and IDE and a SATA drive on the same board?
d. IF all above are affirmative, can one clone an IDE drive to a SATA drive
with cloning software, such as Ghost, and visa versa.?
e. Can an SATA drive be used on an IDE channel assuming there exists
appropriate cable converters? Are there such converters?

"Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message

> Although I have subject board, have not done anything with the SATA Drive
> capabilities. Currently using just the IDE Drive controllers. Find the
> users manual leaves a lot to be desired with regard to the boards SATA
> capabilities. I have more questions than it answers,by far. Manual seems
> indicate that I can use the SATA drives only in a RAID configuration, but
> not sure about that. I have purchased two 120G WD SATA Drives, but have
no
> need for a RAID setup. Would appreciate knowledgeable comments and/or
> answers to the following questions specifically with reference to subject
> board:
>
> a. Can the SATA drives be used in the same fashion as IDE? Only reason to
do
> so, if possible, is it seems to clearly be a simpler connection, and
perhaps
> some performance increase.
> b. IF a above is affirmative, then can SATA drives be used along with IDE
> drives in a non RAID manner? That is one or more IDE drives
simultaneously
> in operation with one or more SATA drives.
> c. If a & b affirmative, can one copy, move and/or otherwise transfer data
> between and IDE and a SATA drive on the same board?
> d. IF all above are affirmative, can one clone an IDE drive to a SATA
drive
> with cloning software, such as Ghost, and visa versa.?
> e. Can an SATA drive be used on an IDE channel assuming there exists
> appropriate cable converters? Are there such converters?

a. b. and c. are true. As far as d. I couldn't get Ghost to work.
But having no problems with Acronis true image..
Don't kmow about e.

Jim M

Dino

I am running a single MAx 120 SATA with a 40 gig Max IDE ,DVD-RW and
CD-rom..transfers and reads are no problem...there is converters but like
they said..why slow down the drive...as for the RAID ..you just need to
enter the RAID utility and set up what you do or don't want..on my other
system I can set it to run RAID 0 or 1 or none..never really looked at this
one because I only hooked up one drive..as for cloning..I have not done
it...but have read in different forums of people who have

Hi Bill,
In answer to d.
On Asus K8v se Deluxe new build AMD64. Until my new Seagate SATA 160gb was
delivered I formatted my old Maxtor 120gb IDE drive and installed XP and
went through product authentication. Several days later the new drive
arrived. I then used the Seagate clone tool to copy the ide boot drive to
the SATA Seagate. This drive was then setup to be the boot drive. No
problems whatsoever. I have since used Powerquest Drive Image 7.0 to clone
this SATA drive to DVDROM.
HTH
Dave

"Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message

> Although I have subject board, have not done anything with the SATA Drive
> capabilities. Currently using just the IDE Drive controllers. Find the
> users manual leaves a lot to be desired with regard to the boards SATA
> capabilities. I have more questions than it answers,by far. Manual seems
> indicate that I can use the SATA drives only in a RAID configuration, but
> not sure about that. I have purchased two 120G WD SATA Drives, but have
no
> need for a RAID setup. Would appreciate knowledgeable comments and/or
> answers to the following questions specifically with reference to subject
> board:
>
> a. Can the SATA drives be used in the same fashion as IDE? Only reason to
do
> so, if possible, is it seems to clearly be a simpler connection, and
perhaps
> some performance increase.
> b. IF a above is affirmative, then can SATA drives be used along with IDE
> drives in a non RAID manner? That is one or more IDE drives
simultaneously
> in operation with one or more SATA drives.
> c. If a & b affirmative, can one copy, move and/or otherwise transfer data
> between and IDE and a SATA drive on the same board?
> d. IF all above are affirmative, can one clone an IDE drive to a SATA
drive
> with cloning software, such as Ghost, and visa versa.?
> e. Can an SATA drive be used on an IDE channel assuming there exists
> appropriate cable converters? Are there such converters?

peter

answers within query...
"Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message

> Although I have subject board, have not done anything with the SATA Drive
> capabilities. Currently using just the IDE Drive controllers. Find the
> users manual leaves a lot to be desired with regard to the boards SATA
> capabilities. I have more questions than it answers,by far. Manual seems to
> indicate that I can use the SATA drives only in a RAID configuration, but
> not sure about that. I have purchased two 120G WD SATA Drives, but have no
> need for a RAID setup. Would appreciate knowledgeable comments and/or
> answers to the following questions specifically with reference to subject
> board:
>
> a. Can the SATA drives be used in the same fashion as IDE? Only reason to do
> so, if possible, is it seems to clearly be a simpler connection, and perhaps
> some performance increase.
ans:yes
> b. IF a above is affirmative, then can SATA drives be used along with IDE
> drives in a non RAID manner? That is one or more IDE drives simultaneously
> in operation with one or more SATA drives.
ans: yes I am using mine in that way
> c. If a & b affirmative, can one copy, move and/or otherwise transfer data
> between and IDE and a SATA drive on the same board?
ans: yes...I seamlessly move data/pictures/movies/audio between the drives
> d. IF all above are affirmative, can one clone an IDE drive to a SATA drive
> with cloning software, such as Ghost, and visa versa.?
ans: yes I have not done so but others have
> e. Can an SATA drive be used on an IDE channel assuming there exists
> appropriate cable converters? Are there such converters?
Ans: these converters exist...but why would you want to slow the drive down??

peter

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotimail.com> wrote in message

> "Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Although I have subject board, have not done anything with the SATA
Drive
> > capabilities. Currently using just the IDE Drive controllers. Find the
> > users manual leaves a lot to be desired with regard to the boards SATA
> > capabilities. I have more questions than it answers,by far. Manual
seems
> > indicate that I can use the SATA drives only in a RAID configuration,
but
> > not sure about that. I have purchased two 120G WD SATA Drives, but have
> no
> > need for a RAID setup. Would appreciate knowledgeable comments and/or
> > answers to the following questions specifically with reference to
subject
> > board:
> >
> > a. Can the SATA drives be used in the same fashion as IDE? Only reason
> do
> > so, if possible, is it seems to clearly be a simpler connection, and
> perhaps
> > some performance increase.
> > b. IF a above is affirmative, then can SATA drives be used along with
IDE
> > drives in a non RAID manner? That is one or more IDE drives
> simultaneously
> > in operation with one or more SATA drives.
> > c. If a & b affirmative, can one copy, move and/or otherwise transfer
data
> > between and IDE and a SATA drive on the same board?
> > d. IF all above are affirmative, can one clone an IDE drive to a SATA
> drive
> > with cloning software, such as Ghost, and visa versa.?
> > e. Can an SATA drive be used on an IDE channel assuming there exists
> > appropriate cable converters? Are there such converters?
> >

> a. b. and c. are true. As far as d. I couldn't get Ghost to work.
> But having no problems with Acronis true image..
> Don't kmow about e.
>
> Jim M

I had no problems using Ghost to clone a PATA drive to a SATA drive. Then I
got a couple of Raptors and used Ghost to clone the PATA drive (with my OS
on it) to them in a RAID0 array.
--
Doug Ramage

"Doug Ramage" <namxat666@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotimail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Although I have subject board, have not done anything with the SATA
> Drive
> > > capabilities. Currently using just the IDE Drive controllers. Find
the
> > > users manual leaves a lot to be desired with regard to the boards SATA
> > > capabilities. I have more questions than it answers,by far. Manual
> seems
> > > indicate that I can use the SATA drives only in a RAID configuration,
> but
> > > not sure about that. I have purchased two 120G WD SATA Drives, but
have
> > no
> > > need for a RAID setup. Would appreciate knowledgeable comments and/or
> > > answers to the following questions specifically with reference to
> subject
> > > board:
> > >
> > > a. Can the SATA drives be used in the same fashion as IDE? Only reason
> > do
> > > so, if possible, is it seems to clearly be a simpler connection, and
> > perhaps
> > > some performance increase.
> > > b. IF a above is affirmative, then can SATA drives be used along with
> IDE
> > > drives in a non RAID manner? That is one or more IDE drives
> > simultaneously
> > > in operation with one or more SATA drives.
> > > c. If a & b affirmative, can one copy, move and/or otherwise transfer
> data
> > > between and IDE and a SATA drive on the same board?
> > > d. IF all above are affirmative, can one clone an IDE drive to a SATA
> > drive
> > > with cloning software, such as Ghost, and visa versa.?
> > > e. Can an SATA drive be used on an IDE channel assuming there exists
> > > appropriate cable converters? Are there such converters?
> > >

> > a. b. and c. are true. As far as d. I couldn't get Ghost to work.
> > But having no problems with Acronis true image..
> > Don't kmow about e.
> >
> > Jim M
> >

> I had no problems using Ghost to clone a PATA drive to a SATA drive. Then
> got a couple of Raptors and used Ghost to clone the PATA drive (with my OS
> on it) to them in a RAID0 array.
> --
> Doug Ramage

It does work for some people. When I booted from the ghost boot disc
my system would hang and I would have to press the reset button.
When I checked on the ghost web site they said ghost didn't support
raid but that it may or may not work.

Jim M

Bill Tarkington wrote:
> Although I have subject board, have not done anything with the SATA Drive
> capabilities. Currently using just the IDE Drive controllers. Find the
> users manual leaves a lot to be desired with regard to the boards SATA
> capabilities. I have more questions than it answers,by far. Manual seems
> to indicate that I can use the SATA drives only in a RAID configuration,
> but not sure about that. I have purchased two 120G WD SATA Drives, but
> have no need for a RAID setup. Would appreciate knowledgeable comments
> and/or answers to the following questions specifically with reference to
> subject board:
>
> a. Can the SATA drives be used in the same fashion as IDE? Only reason to
> do so, if possible, is it seems to clearly be a simpler connection, and
> perhaps some performance increase.

Same? Well, yeah, but only one drive per cable.

> b. IF a above is affirmative, then can SATA drives be used along with IDE
> drives in a non RAID manner? That is one or more IDE drives
> simultaneously in operation with one or more SATA drives.

Yep. You don't have to use RAID on any RAID controller.

> c. If a & b affirmative, can one copy, move and/or otherwise transfer data
> between and IDE and a SATA drive on the same board?

Of course. A drive is a drive, regardless of it's interface - that should
be completely transparent to you.

> d. IF all above are affirmative, can one clone an IDE drive to a SATA
> drive with cloning software, such as Ghost, and visa versa.?

Yep. If said drive contains the OS, then be sure to get the appropriate
drives to change letter.

> e. Can an SATA drive be used on an IDE channel assuming there exists
> appropriate cable converters? Are there such converters?

I've seen adapters to get IDE drives on SATA interfaces, but not vice-versa.
A SATA PCI card would likely be in order (if you wanted more than 2 SATA
drives).

Ben

Many thanks to all of you who responded. Answers are both informative and
educational, at least for me. Basically you all are in agreement as to the
questions I posed. My last question, it seems, begs some explanation. It
was posed only in the event the answers to the other questions forced me to
use an SATA drive on an IDE controller, just to avoid purchasing another IDE
drive when two SATA's were immediately at hand. It was a question of
economics rather than performance based. I do in fact possess a couple of
IDE to SATA converters, but was curious as to whether the opposite existed.
Thanks again, guess it is time to plunge ahead now that I know it can be
done.