RAID1 and P4PE: do I need identical drives or just the sam..

I would like to set up a RAID1 with my Western Digital IDE 120GB hdd and
a new Hitachi SATA 120GB drive. Can this be done or do I need to have
identical drives?

Thanks
Ken K

Paul

Splendid

In article <10cd3vct35hag84@corp.supernews.com>, Ken K
<psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote:

> I would like to set up a RAID1 with my Western Digital IDE 120GB hdd and
> a new Hitachi SATA 120GB drive. Can this be done or do I need to have
> identical drives?
>
> Thanks
> Ken K

Controllers with mixed connector types, allow using a PATA and a
SATA drive together. Should work fine.

The manual seems to suggest this. The reference to the IDE cable,
is to not expecting to connect two PATA drives. The claim is, only
one PATA drive can be connected to the PATA RAID connector, and the
drive should be jumped for master mode. Apparently you cannot place
two PATA drives on that cable. (The 20376 supports one drive on the
PATA RAID cable, while the 20378 used on some other boards, allows
two drives on the PATA RAID connector.)

Paul