A7V266-E CPU Upgrade Problems

I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.

Any ideas?

Thanks...Scott

Scott Zabolotzky <zabolots@ripco.com> writes:

>I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.

>Any ideas?

>Thanks...Scott

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm stumped here.

Scott

PALO_FREQ jumper??
Just a thought.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:59:16 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
<zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:

>Scott Zabolotzky <zabolots@ripco.com> writes:
>
>>I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>>web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>>version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>>the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>>drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>>codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>>CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>>CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.
>
>>Any ideas?
>
>>Thanks...Scott
>
>Anyone else have any ideas? I'm stumped here.
>
>Scott

Are you sure its a 266mhz fsb version :)

I think you might have a 333fsb version.

Not sure what it would do if you installed a 333fsb cpu maybe whats
happening to you now.

I was to wanted a 2600 but alas none in my country so i settled for a
2400 :(

Theirs some numbers on the chip write em down and do a google to see
what fsb version chip you have.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:17:37 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
<zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:

>I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks...Scott

Yes, I'm sure it's the 266MHz FSB version. Here's the breakdown of
the numbers on the chip:

AXDA 2600 D K V 3 C
#
| | | |__________Operating Voltage(Nominal Core Voltage)(????)
| | |____________Package Type(????.D=OPGA??,A=PGA??)
| |_______________Model Number(????)
|____________________Processor Core Architecture/Brand Name(??XP 0.13??)

Thoroughbred-B Athlon AMD XP 2600+ 2.133GHZ, 256KB Cache, 266MHZ FSB
AXDA2600DKV3C

Scott

We Live for the One we Die for the One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> writes:
>Are you sure its a 266mhz fsb version :)

>I think you might have a 333fsb version.

>Not sure what it would do if you installed a 333fsb cpu maybe whats
>happening to you now.

>I was to wanted a 2600 but alas none in my country so i settled for a
>2400 :(

>Theirs some numbers on the chip write em down and do a google to see
>what fsb version chip you have.

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:17:37 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
><zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:

>>I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>>web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>>version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>>the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>>drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>>codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>>CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>>CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks...Scott

Hmmmm.

rubicant78 <rubicant78@spymac.com> writes:

>PALO_FREQ jumper??
>Just a thought.

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:59:16 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
><zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:

>>Scott Zabolotzky <zabolots@ripco.com> writes:
>>
>>>I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>>>web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>>>version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>>>the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>>>drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>>>codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>>>CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>>>CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.
>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>
>>>Thanks...Scott
>>
>>Anyone else have any ideas? I'm stumped here.
>>
>>Scott

I've tried the PALO_FREQ jumper in both positions (Palomino & Athlon/Duron)
but it did not have any effect. No boot, no POST in either position.

Scott

Try this beta from the german ASUS FTP site, just save as and get it
and try it :)

The german site allways has the latest bios and everything why is Asus
German ?

Its 1015.033 beta :) just make sure you get the right one :) and i do
think its newer ?

Hope this helps, have not bothered getting anymore bios upgrades no
point now :0 am thinking of getting a Xp 3200 and a NForce 2 Ultra
board though to see me though MANy years, though my A7v266-e like
yours butonly with a Xp 2400 will do me gine i think before the 64bit
systems take hold and come down in price :) and dominate everything.

Hope this works BUB :)

<zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:

>Yes, I'm sure it's the 266MHz FSB version. Here's the breakdown of
>the numbers on the chip:
>
>AXDA 2600 D K V 3 C
> #
> | | |____________Package Type(????.D=OPGA??,A=PGA??)
> | |_______________Model Number(????)
> |____________________Processor Core Architecture/Brand Name(??XP 0.13??)
>
>Thoroughbred-B Athlon AMD XP 2600+ 2.133GHZ, 256KB Cache, 266MHZ FSB
>AXDA2600DKV3C
>
>Scott
>
>We Live for the One we Die for the One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> writes:
>>Are you sure its a 266mhz fsb version :)
>
>>I think you might have a 333fsb version.
>
>>Not sure what it would do if you installed a 333fsb cpu maybe whats
>>happening to you now.
>
>>I was to wanted a 2600 but alas none in my country so i settled for a
>>2400 :(
>
>>Theirs some numbers on the chip write em down and do a google to see
>>what fsb version chip you have.
>

>>On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:17:37 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
>><zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:
>
>>>I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>>>web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>>>version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>>>the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>>>drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>>>codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>>>CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>>>CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks...Scott

Also try this site lots of people have the same trouble :)

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/forum/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=a7v

<zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:

>Yes, I'm sure it's the 266MHz FSB version. Here's the breakdown of
>the numbers on the chip:
>
>AXDA 2600 D K V 3 C
> #
> | | |____________Package Type(????.D=OPGA??,A=PGA??)
> | |_______________Model Number(????)
> |____________________Processor Core Architecture/Brand Name(??XP 0.13??)
>
>Thoroughbred-B Athlon AMD XP 2600+ 2.133GHZ, 256KB Cache, 266MHZ FSB
>AXDA2600DKV3C
>
>Scott
>
>We Live for the One we Die for the One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> writes:
>>Are you sure its a 266mhz fsb version :)
>
>>I think you might have a 333fsb version.
>
>>Not sure what it would do if you installed a 333fsb cpu maybe whats
>>happening to you now.
>
>>I was to wanted a 2600 but alas none in my country so i settled for a
>>2400 :(
>
>>Theirs some numbers on the chip write em down and do a google to see
>>what fsb version chip you have.
>

>>On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:17:37 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
>><zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:
>
>>>I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>>>web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>>>version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>>>the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>>>drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>>>codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>>>CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>>>CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks...Scott

Check to make sure you have the latest bios.
If you flashed the bios recently, tried to reset the bios. You do this by
resetting manually in the bios and removing the battery, wait for 5 minutes
and replug battery into system. That once did the trick for an
unidentified/booting cpu.

"kmchow" <Volvo740Racing@yahoo.com> writes:

>Check to make sure you have the latest bios.
>If you flashed the bios recently, tried to reset the bios. You do this by
>resetting manually in the bios and removing the battery, wait for 5 minutes
>and replug battery into system. That once did the trick for an
>unidentified/booting cpu.

Sounds fishy but at this point I'll try anything. BTW, is this any
different from clearing the CMOS with the jumper?

Scott

You lot plonke dme and dont'e see me :)

I just answered the question ?>

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:59:29 GMT, "kmchow" <Volvo740Racing@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Check to make sure you have the latest bios.
>If you flashed the bios recently, tried to reset the bios. You do this by
>resetting manually in the bios and removing the battery, wait for 5 minutes
>and replug battery into system. That once did the trick for an
>unidentified/booting cpu.
>
>"Scott Zabolotzky" <zabolots@ripco.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an A7V266-E with BIOS version 1011. According to the Asus
>> web site this MB is supposed to support CPU's up to the 266MHz FSB
>> version of the Athlon XP 2600+. I bought one and when I put it in
>> the PC and turn it on nothing happens. The power lights come on, the
>> drives spin up but I get nothing on the screen and no POST beep
>> codes. Do I need to do anything to get the PC to recognize the new
>> CPU other than just installing it and booting up? When I put my orig
>> CPU back in (Athlon XP 1900+) it boots right up.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks...Scott

We Live for the One we Die for the One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> writes:

>You lot plonke dme and dont'e see me :)

>I just answered the question ?>

I just went back and read all of your posts and if there was an
answer in there I must have missed it :)

I did grab the lates BIOS I could use which is 1015.2. I can't use
1015.3 because I use a modified BIOS from Lumberjacker to obtain
full RAID capabilities and he has not yet modified the 1015.3 BIOS.

Even with the 1015.2 BIOS (which should support the 2600+ since even
the 1011 BIOS is supposed to support it) I get absolutely nothing when
I power on the PC with the new CPU installed. No boot, no POST, no
beep codes, nothing.

I've tried both JumperFree and jumper mode. Tried the PALO_FREQ in
both Palomino and Athlon/Duron modes. None of this made any difference.

Scott

You sure your not putt a Pentium 4 in the mobo :)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:38:58 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
<zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:

>"kmchow" <Volvo740Racing@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Check to make sure you have the latest bios.
>>If you flashed the bios recently, tried to reset the bios. You do this by
>>resetting manually in the bios and removing the battery, wait for 5 minutes
>>and replug battery into system. That once did the trick for an
>>unidentified/booting cpu.
>
>Sounds fishy but at this point I'll try anything. BTW, is this any
>different from clearing the CMOS with the jumper?
>
>Scott

What peoblem did you have with raid ?

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 02:51:08 +1000, We Live for the One we Die for the
One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>You sure your not putt a Pentium 4 in the mobo :)
>

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:38:58 +0000 (UTC), Scott Zabolotzky
><zabolots@ripco.com> wrote:
>
>>"kmchow" <Volvo740Racing@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>>Check to make sure you have the latest bios.
>>>If you flashed the bios recently, tried to reset the bios. You do this by
>>>resetting manually in the bios and removing the battery, wait for 5 minutes
>>>and replug battery into system. That once did the trick for an
>>>unidentified/booting cpu.
>>
>>Sounds fishy but at this point I'll try anything. BTW, is this any
>>different from clearing the CMOS with the jumper?
>>
>>Scott

No problems. Just wanted more control over the cluster size. The
modified BIOS gives full control over the Promise controller (same
as if you installed a Promise PCI card) rather than the limited
abilities that are built into MB BIOS versions.