Do I have USB 1.1 or 2.0?

How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to connect an ipod and Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I have USB ports but I'm not sure what version.
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Check in the user manual for the PC if it is a Brand Name PC or the motherbaord manual if it is a white box PC.

    If it says you have USB 2 support, then get the SP1 update for XP if it's not already installed.

    Then go to the Update site and find the USB2 support download under Windows Updates [not Critcal Update or Device Drivers].

    After these two steps have been pperformed, and the rebbot that is nbeccesary, try attaching the IPOD.

    System is a Dell Inspiron 4100 (laptop). Did not come with manuals. Online doc's don't seem to mention version of USB port.

    Just plug the device in and see what you get, it won't do any harm. If it
    works satisfactorily, problem solved but if it is pedestrian or you get a
    warning message you will have your answer.

    If you need USB2 and have only USB1.1, which is likely unless your laptop
    is recent, you will need to buy a USB2 PC Card. If that is required, make
    sure you buy a card with an external power supply as some external devices
    drawn more power that the port can supply.

    "deg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to connect an ipod and
    Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I have USB ports but I'm
    not sure what version.

    In Control Panel, System, Device Manager, hardware.If you don't see the
    words ' Standard enhanced controller'' under USB devices, you do not have
    USB 2.0...

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Just plug the device in and see what you get, it won't do any harm. If it
    > works satisfactorily, problem solved but if it is pedestrian or you get a
    > warning message you will have your answer.
    >
    > If you need USB2 and have only USB1.1, which is likely unless your laptop
    > is recent, you will need to buy a USB2 PC Card. If that is required, make
    > sure you buy a card with an external power supply as some external devices
    > drawn more power that the port can supply.
    >
    > "deg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to connect an ipod and
    > Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I have USB ports but
    I'm
    > not sure what version.

    Enhanced means you DO have USB 2.0

    But since the Dell Inspiron 4100 shipped with Windows ME
    ands is now not listed as being available it is a strong
    indication you do not have USB 2.0,
    further I took the time to look at the Dell site and found
    this which means you do not have USB 2.0
    Ports and Connectors

    Serial
    9-pin connector; 16550C-compatible,
    16-byte buffer connector

    Parallel
    25-hole connector; unidirectional, bidirectional, or
    ECP

    Video
    15-hole connector

    Audio
    microphone connector, headphone/speakers connector

    PS/2 keyboard/mouse
    6-pin mini-DIN connector

    USB
    4-pin USB-compliant connector

    Infrared
    sensor compatible with IrDA Standard 2.0
    (4 MB) and IrDA Standard 1.0 (Slow IR)

    Docking
    200-pin connector for a Dell docking device

    S-video TV-out
    7-pin mini-DIN connector (S-video to composite video
    adapter is optional)

    Mini PCI
    Type IIIA Mini PCI card slot with Wi-Fi (802.11b)
    wireless support

    Modem
    RJ-11 port (optional)

    Ethernet LAN
    RJ-45 port (optional)

    It also means your USB 1.1 does not support devices
    requiring more than 4 wires.

    "Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | In Control Panel, System, Device Manager, hardware.If you
    don't see the
    | words ' Standard enhanced controller'' under USB devices,
    you do not have
    | USB 2.0...
    |
    | "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in
    message
    | > Just plug the device in and see what you get, it won't
    do any harm. If it
    | > works satisfactorily, problem solved but if it is
    pedestrian or you get a
    | > warning message you will have your answer.
    | >
    | > If you need USB2 and have only USB1.1, which is likely
    unless your laptop
    | > is recent, you will need to buy a USB2 PC Card. If that
    is required, make
    | > sure you buy a card with an external power supply as
    some external devices
    | > drawn more power that the port can supply.
    | >
    | > "deg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    | > > How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to
    connect an ipod and
    | > Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I
    have USB ports but
    | I'm
    | > not sure what version.

    Yup, I SAID THAT.
    > Enhanced means you DO have USB 2.0
    >
    > But since the Dell Inspiron 4100 shipped with Windows ME
    > ands is now not listed as being available it is a strong
    > indication you do not have USB 2.0,
    > further I took the time to look at the Dell site and found
    > this which means you do not have USB 2.0
    > Ports and Connectors
    >
    > Serial
    > 9-pin connector; 16550C-compatible,
    > 16-byte buffer connector
    >
    > Parallel
    > 25-hole connector; unidirectional, bidirectional, or
    > ECP
    >
    > Video
    > 15-hole connector
    >
    > Audio
    > microphone connector, headphone/speakers connector
    >
    > PS/2 keyboard/mouse
    > 6-pin mini-DIN connector
    >
    > USB
    > 4-pin USB-compliant connector
    >
    > Infrared
    > sensor compatible with IrDA Standard 2.0
    > (4 MB) and IrDA Standard 1.0 (Slow IR)
    >
    > Docking
    > 200-pin connector for a Dell docking device
    >
    > S-video TV-out
    > 7-pin mini-DIN connector (S-video to composite video
    > adapter is optional)
    >
    > Mini PCI
    > Type IIIA Mini PCI card slot with Wi-Fi (802.11b)
    > wireless support
    >
    > Modem
    > RJ-11 port (optional)
    >
    > Ethernet LAN
    > RJ-45 port (optional)
    >

    > It also means your USB 1.1 does not support devices
    > requiring more than 4 wires.

    > "Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > | In Control Panel, System, Device Manager, hardware.If you
    > don't see the
    > | words ' Standard enhanced controller'' under USB devices,
    > you do not have
    > | USB 2.0...
    > |
    > | "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | > Just plug the device in and see what you get, it won't
    > do any harm. If it
    > | > works satisfactorily, problem solved but if it is
    > pedestrian or you get a
    > | > warning message you will have your answer.
    > | >
    > | > If you need USB2 and have only USB1.1, which is likely
    > unless your laptop
    > | > is recent, you will need to buy a USB2 PC Card. If that
    > is required, make
    > | > sure you buy a card with an external power supply as
    > some external devices
    > | > drawn more power that the port can supply.
    > | >
    > | > "deg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message

    > connect an ipod and
    > | > Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I
    > have USB ports but
    > | I'm
    > | > not sure what version.

USB Microsoft Windows XP