Do I have USB 1.1 or 2.0?

May 16, 2004 1:16:05 AM

How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to connect an ipod and Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I have USB ports but I'm not sure what version.

More about : usb

May 16, 2004 1:36:02 AM

Check in the user manual for the PC if it is a Brand Name PC or the motherbaord manual if it is a white box PC.

If it says you have USB 2 support, then get the SP1 update for XP if it's not already installed.

Then go to the Update site and find the USB2 support download under Windows Updates [not Critcal Update or Device Drivers].

After these two steps have been pperformed, and the rebbot that is nbeccesary, try attaching the IPOD.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 1:46:06 AM

System is a Dell Inspiron 4100 (laptop). Did not come with manuals. Online doc's don't seem to mention version of USB port.
May 16, 2004 10:54:30 AM

Just plug the device in and see what you get, it won't do any harm. If it
works satisfactorily, problem solved but if it is pedestrian or you get a
warning message you will have your answer.

If you need USB2 and have only USB1.1, which is likely unless your laptop
is recent, you will need to buy a USB2 PC Card. If that is required, make
sure you buy a card with an external power supply as some external devices
drawn more power that the port can supply.

"deg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to connect an ipod and
Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I have USB ports but I'm
not sure what version.

May 16, 2004 10:54:31 AM

In Control Panel, System, Device Manager, hardware.If you don't see the
words ' Standard enhanced controller'' under USB devices, you do not have
USB 2.0...

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Just plug the device in and see what you get, it won't do any harm. If it
> works satisfactorily, problem solved but if it is pedestrian or you get a
> warning message you will have your answer.
>
> If you need USB2 and have only USB1.1, which is likely unless your laptop
> is recent, you will need to buy a USB2 PC Card. If that is required, make
> sure you buy a card with an external power supply as some external devices
> drawn more power that the port can supply.
>
> "deg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to connect an ipod and
> Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I have USB ports but
I'm
> not sure what version.

Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:31:11 PM

Enhanced means you DO have USB 2.0

But since the Dell Inspiron 4100 shipped with Windows ME
ands is now not listed as being available it is a strong
indication you do not have USB 2.0,
further I took the time to look at the Dell site and found
this which means you do not have USB 2.0
Ports and Connectors

Serial
9-pin connector; 16550C-compatible,
16-byte buffer connector

Parallel
25-hole connector; unidirectional, bidirectional, or
ECP

Video
15-hole connector

Audio
microphone connector, headphone/speakers connector

PS/2 keyboard/mouse
6-pin mini-DIN connector

USB
4-pin USB-compliant connector

Infrared
sensor compatible with IrDA Standard 2.0
(4 MB) and IrDA Standard 1.0 (Slow IR)

Docking
200-pin connector for a Dell docking device

S-video TV-out
7-pin mini-DIN connector (S-video to composite video
adapter is optional)

Mini PCI
Type IIIA Mini PCI card slot with Wi-Fi (802.11b)
wireless support

Modem
RJ-11 port (optional)

Ethernet LAN
RJ-45 port (optional)

It also means your USB 1.1 does not support devices
requiring more than 4 wires.

"Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| In Control Panel, System, Device Manager, hardware.If you
don't see the
| words ' Standard enhanced controller'' under USB devices,
you do not have
| USB 2.0...
|
| "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in
message
| > Just plug the device in and see what you get, it won't
do any harm. If it
| > works satisfactorily, problem solved but if it is
pedestrian or you get a
| > warning message you will have your answer.
| >
| > If you need USB2 and have only USB1.1, which is likely
unless your laptop
| > is recent, you will need to buy a USB2 PC Card. If that
is required, make
| > sure you buy a card with an external power supply as
some external devices
| > drawn more power that the port can supply.
| >
| > "deg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

| > > How can I tell if I have USB 1.1 or 2.0? I want to
connect an ipod and
| > Apple claims I need high power USB 2.0 or FireWire. I
have USB ports but
| I'm
| > not sure what version.

May 16, 2004 9:16:28 PM