birdie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002

I have a dell P4 running XP. Was getting an error message that says the
hard drive is going bad.

Borrowed an external hard drive and down loaded all the files. Except the 7
home movies (in .avi format) would not transfer.

Dell came out to replace my hard drive. Even the technician that came out
could not transfer the .avi files. We though maybe the files were too big.
Split them up and the same result.

So now I have a bad hard drive sitting on the shelf with all these family
movies on them and can't seem to access/download them.

Any ideas?

TIA

---

bar

Can't offer an explanation as to why you cannot transfer or copy files from one HD to another. Defies logic!

Can suggest that you try converting to another format, and if successful then save to the new HDD. Get the AVI top MPEG converter from:
http://www.winmpg.com/

It doesn't defy logic at all. It is just in knowing about file systems!

The external hard drive is formatted as fat32. Because of this, the maximum
file size is 4 gig. Many .avi files are larger. If the external hard drive
was formatted as NTFS, the files could be transferred!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"BAR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can't offer an explanation as to why you cannot transfer or copy files
from one HD to another. Defies logic!

> Can suggest that you try converting to another format, and if successful
then save to the new HDD. Get the AVI top MPEG converter from:
> http://www.winmpg.com/

Try using Ontrack's Easy Recovery. Get it at Ontrack.com

(http://www.grisoft.com).
5/14/04