P4B266C user :please fall in!!!

I've been using this MoBo for abround 2 yrs plus now.

I've o'ced my 1.8A to 2.1Ghz with no problems
But I want to push it more.

Any of you got recommendation of good branded fans???

any story to share???

Thanks :
Gore

"Gore" <goremasta@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> any story to share???

Had my P4B266 running with a 2.8B 512mbDDR333 Bios 1010.
FSB 142, 3:4 memory workarround & Turbo 1 enabled worked best for me.

G.

I have an 1.6a running on my P4B266-C MB.

I got the bug to upgrade a few months ago, and I bought a 2.4GHz
CPU. I still can't get it to work. It will not boot with the
2.4GHz CPU installed!!! When I switch back to the 1.6a, BIOS comes
up and gives me an error message that the last boot (the one with
the 2.4) failed due to an "improper multiplier" being detected.

I have checked the ASUS website, and one page states that 2.2GHz
is the fastest CPU supported on the P4B266-C. Another page claims
2.4GHz is the fastest, and yet a third webpage claims 2.6GHz
is the fastest. The User Manual implies 2.4GHz by way of the
fastest manually DIP switch set multiplier being 24x.

IMHO, I don't know why the MB, or its BIOS, would even care
what the internal multiplier is, as long as the external bus
speed is appropriate (100/400MHz for me).

When I have some free time, my last hope of getting the 2.4GHz
CPU to work is by clearing out the CMOS first. This is based
on my guess that the "improper multiplier" message is due to
BIOS remembering the multiplier was 16x, and flags the unexpected
change to 24x as an error. I know that this is a long shot, but
nothing else has worked (and I have tried everything).

BTW, I have tried BIOS 1007.2 (beta from TW), 1007.3 (beta from DE),
and 1006 (latest released).

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:35:57 +0200, Clock´n Roll wrote:

> "Gore" <goremasta@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>
>> any story to share???
>
> Had my P4B266 running with a 2.8B 512mbDDR333 Bios 1010. FSB 142, 3:4
> memory workarround & Turbo 1 enabled worked best for me.

I've got an unlocked P4 2.4GHz ES running at 2.5/528 3:4 DDR350 on my
P4B266-C, stock Intel fan. I will probably in the future look at running
even faster (both CPU multiplier and bus) - but I have the most recent
beta bios 1007.002, which doesn't allow the 3:4 at 133 and above...

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 14 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:36:54 -0400, Walt wrote:

> I have an 1.6a running on my P4B266-C MB.
>
> I got the bug to upgrade a few months ago, and I bought a 2.4GHz CPU. I
> still can't get it to work. It will not boot with the 2.4GHz CPU
> installed!!! When I switch back to the 1.6a, BIOS comes up and gives me
> an error message that the last boot (the one with the 2.4) failed due to
> an "improper multiplier" being detected.
>
> I have checked the ASUS website, and one page states that 2.2GHz is the
> fastest CPU supported on the P4B266-C. Another page claims 2.4GHz is
> the fastest, and yet a third webpage claims 2.6GHz is the fastest. The
> User Manual implies 2.4GHz by way of the fastest manually DIP switch set
> multiplier being 24x.
>
> IMHO, I don't know why the MB, or its BIOS, would even care what the
> internal multiplier is, as long as the external bus speed is appropriate
> (100/400MHz for me).
>
> When I have some free time, my last hope of getting the 2.4GHz CPU to
> work is by clearing out the CMOS first. This is based on my guess that
> the "improper multiplier" message is due to BIOS remembering the
> multiplier was 16x, and flags the unexpected change to 24x as an error.
> I know that this is a long shot, but nothing else has worked (and I have
> tried everything).
>
> BTW, I have tried BIOS 1007.2 (beta from TW), 1007.3 (beta from DE), and
> 1006 (latest released).

If you're really good, you can get some of those BIOS editing tools, and
find where this multiplier value is, and change it. Similar stuff has
been done to the P2B BIOS, in order to have it recognize the tualatin
celeron microcode:

http://tipperlinne.com/bios6b4.htm

I am still thinking about trying something like this with an old P2B board
that I have, which throttles the processor cycles (speed) down due to an
apparent faulty harware monitor chip (even tried flashing to no-hardware
monitor BIOS, it still thinks the CPU is overheating)...

--

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:48:41 +0200, Clock´n Roll wrote:

> "Ixnei" <ixnei@ixnei.ixnei> skrev i en meddelelse
>> beta bios 1007.002, which doesn't allow the 3:4 at 133 and above...
>
> Have you ever tried the workarround?
>
> http://www.bleedinedge.com/guides/p4b266_mem_ratio/p4b266_mem_ratio.html

Not yet - I haven't had a need or desire to run any faster...

One thing I didn't mention, is that I bump my Vcore 0.05V (to 1.55V). I
do this because the ASUS monitor reports 1.44V idle, 1.38V load (under
CPUBurn). Sounds like I'd have to go up to 1.65V (1.6V?), which I really
don't want to do. I used to run a P4 1.8a @ 2.7GHz using 1.65V, and the
processor gradually drifted over two years, to where it only runs stable
@2.0GHz now (no matter what Vcore - so I dropped it to 1.55V). I know
it's the CPU that drifted - I improved my cooling (through
airflow/heatsink improvements, verified by monitor measurements) with this
same effect seen, and that board is running a 2.4 @ 2.9GHz now (stock
Vcore).

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 14 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.
"U.S.-led sanctions have killed over a million Iraqi citizens,
according to UN studies" - James Jennings
3,000+ innocent Iraqi civilian casualties can't be "wrong"...

Bios 1010???where I can get it?
Global ASUS website only put 1006 ???

tks