Sign in with
Your question

Boot after changing motherboard

Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2011 1:04:40 PM

Having changed a motherboard (old one broken) I can't get Windows 7 64bit to boot. It reaches the windows splash screen then reboots. I have tried the startup repair but that can't find any problems. The new motherboard's manufacturer is different form the old one but all other hardware is from the old system. I'd assume its because the drivers on the hard disk are for the old board.

I've looked on the internet but can't find a solution other than a complete windows re-install.

Is there any other way to get this to boot?
Is there a way to uninstall the old drivers or install the new ones without booting window?

Thanks

Steve0410
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 16, 2011 2:51:38 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode.
January 17, 2011 10:20:46 AM

WR2 said:
Try booting into Safe Mode.

thanks but I have already tried booting safe mode and the system still reboots
Related resources
January 17, 2011 10:26:51 AM

Quote:
You will have to do a repair install. Your system is trying to boot on drivers of hardware thats not there anymore

I've tried the startup repair. Is there another repair option within Windows 7? I was looking for a repair like the one in Win XP where it would install over the top of the current installation but without removing user data but couldn't find something similar other than "startup repair". When I choose "Install" from the CD there are only two options, the option to install from scratch or go to the options menu where "Startup repair" (already tried), "open cmd prompt", "system restore" etc are.

Can you point me to an option I may have missed?
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2011 7:32:50 PM

Is this a home built pc or was it originaly an OEM pc from one of the major manufacturers? If it was, then the os is linked permantly to the original mb.
a b \ Driver
a c 98 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2011 7:45:07 PM

Vista and 7 dont have the ability to do a repair installation in the way XP does . Brilliance from microsoft designed to stop multiple use of the OS but seriously inconvenient to users

The problem , as already stated , is wrong mb drivers

The only fix is a clean install

Of course that will nuke all the data on your drive
but you could temporarily plug the hard drive in to any other computer and transfer files you want to save
or you could buy a new hard drive , do a clean install on that and then add the old drive to the computer and transfer files to the boot drive before reformating the old drive to use for back ups
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 1:51:59 AM

Jonmor68 said:
Is this a home built pc or was it originaly an OEM pc from one of the major manufacturers? If it was, then the os is linked permantly to the original mb.
You are right, but I don't think it would prevent the PC from booting. It might ask for reactivation and/or reboot every few hours, but it wouldn't just hang at boot.
!