From: Eric (EricCrawford@worldnet.att.net)
Subject: upgrade motherboard/cpu with windows XP already installed
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Date: 2002-05-14 15:22:25 PST

I have personally changed out a motherboard and video
card, no problem what so ever. Nothing ever came up
saying that I needed to activate again or anything.

Greetings --

From the reports and posts I've seen, the primary reason that some
people have successfully changed their motherboards without having to
perform a repair installation is that both the old and new
motherboards used chipsets from the same manufacturer. The other,
much rarer, success stories are a bit of a mystery.

Your proposed example of pre-installing video drivers wouldn't
have any affect on a motherboard change, unless you've made the
mistake of buying a motherboard with an integrated video chip.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"David Perrault" <esieens@chez.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm going to upgrade my motherboard (KT266A chipset to nforce 2
> 400).
>
> Read a lot of things and seems like i'll need to do a 'repair' on my
> win xp pro install.
>
> I've seen a few reports saying that they did manage an upgrade
> without
> doing a repair and wanted to check with you all what are the factors
> that could mean success?
>
> For example if I do install all the nforce drivers before changing
> mobo would that make a difference?
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> ****************
> From: Eric (EricCrawford@worldnet.att.net)
> Subject: upgrade motherboard/cpu with windows XP already installed
> Original Format
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
> Date: 2002-05-14 15:22:25 PST
>

> I have personally changed out a motherboard and video
> card, no problem what so ever. Nothing ever came up
> saying that I needed to activate again or anything.

Thanks Bruce - the nforce drivers are the nvidia chipse driver not the
nvidia graphic card drivers! ;0)

Just trying to understand what is the safest and easiest way to
upgrade without doing a full install - I have too much stuff installed
and don't want to have to install it again.

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message news:<e6tDgS1OEHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Greetings --
>
> From the reports and posts I've seen, the primary reason that some
> people have successfully changed their motherboards without having to
> perform a repair installation is that both the old and new
> motherboards used chipsets from the same manufacturer. The other,
> much rarer, success stories are a bit of a mystery.
>
> Your proposed example of pre-installing video drivers wouldn't
> have any affect on a motherboard change, unless you've made the
> mistake of buying a motherboard with an integrated video chip.
>

> Bruce Chambers
>
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. -- RAH
>

> "David Perrault" <esieens@chez.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm going to upgrade my motherboard (KT266A chipset to nforce 2
> > 400).
> >
> > Read a lot of things and seems like i'll need to do a 'repair' on my
> > win xp pro install.
> >
> > I've seen a few reports saying that they did manage an upgrade
> > without
> > doing a repair and wanted to check with you all what are the factors
> > that could mean success?
> >
> > For example if I do install all the nforce drivers before changing
> > mobo would that make a difference?
> >
> > Any help much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > ****************
> > From: Eric (EricCrawford@worldnet.att.net)
> > Subject: upgrade motherboard/cpu with windows XP already installed
> > Original Format
> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
> > Date: 2002-05-14 15:22:25 PST
> >

> > I have personally changed out a motherboard and video
> > card, no problem what so ever. Nothing ever came up
> > saying that I needed to activate again or anything.

Most of the time, a Repair Install will save you from having to
reinstall applications and third-party hardware drivers, while
replacing the MoBo drivers that need to be replaced. Problems are more
likely if the "old" MoBo includes additional hardware (video, sound,
networking), particularly if the new one doesn't. It may help to
uninstall third party drivers for such hardware before starting the
upgrade. As long as you have a complete backup of your old system, the
worst tha can happen if a Repair Install fails is that you have to
reinstall from scratch. Despite the inconvenience, I tend to do that
anyway in this situation, since I have occasionally had problems with
Repar Installs being unstable. Considering what is being done, it is
impressive that they so often work without problems!

On 16 May 2004 12:45:52 -0700, esieens@chez.com (David Perrault)
wrote:

>Thanks Bruce - the nforce drivers are the nvidia chipse driver not the
>nvidia graphic card drivers! ;0)
>
>Just trying to understand what is the safest and easiest way to
>upgrade without doing a full install - I have too much stuff installed
>and don't want to have to install it again.
>
>"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message news:<e6tDgS1OEHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
>> Greetings --
>>
>> From the reports and posts I've seen, the primary reason that some
>> people have successfully changed their motherboards without having to
>> perform a repair installation is that both the old and new
>> motherboards used chipsets from the same manufacturer. The other,
>> much rarer, success stories are a bit of a mystery.
>>
>> Your proposed example of pre-installing video drivers wouldn't
>> have any affect on a motherboard change, unless you've made the
>> mistake of buying a motherboard with an integrated video chip.
>>

>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> --
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
>> having both at once. -- RAH
>>

>> "David Perrault" <esieens@chez.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm going to upgrade my motherboard (KT266A chipset to nforce 2
>> > 400).
>> >
>> > Read a lot of things and seems like i'll need to do a 'repair' on my
>> > win xp pro install.
>> >
>> > I've seen a few reports saying that they did manage an upgrade
>> > without
>> > doing a repair and wanted to check with you all what are the factors
>> > that could mean success?
>> >
>> > For example if I do install all the nforce drivers before changing
>> > mobo would that make a difference?
>> >
>> > Any help much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > ****************
>> > From: Eric (EricCrawford@worldnet.att.net)
>> > Subject: upgrade motherboard/cpu with windows XP already installed
>> > Original Format
>> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
>> > Date: 2002-05-14 15:22:25 PST
>> >

>> > I have personally changed out a motherboard and video
>> > card, no problem what so ever. Nothing ever came up
>> > saying that I needed to activate again or anything.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher