Do most new motherboards have Wake-on-Lan?

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my motherboard and would very much like to
have the wake-on-lan feature so I can start my computer and access it
remotely. I have never used this feature before. Does it work well? Do
most motherboards include it these days? I see little mention of it in
the specs of many boards.

Thanks,
Marcus
2 answers Last reply
More about motherboards wake

    Every mobo I've had over the last 10 yrs has had it, its a feature of the
    bios

    "Marcus" <holysmokes99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to upgrade my motherboard and would very much like to
    > have the wake-on-lan feature so I can start my computer and access it
    > remotely. I have never used this feature before. Does it work well? Do
    > most motherboards include it these days? I see little mention of it in
    > the specs of many boards.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Marcus

    Many new motherboards do WOL via a PCI 2.2 compatible bus, older ones often
    had a WOL header whish was used to connect to the NIC via a special cable
    both types are enabled through BIOS settings. WOL is very handy for network
    admins, especially when combined with PXE capability on the NIC. This
    enables things like re-imaging machines remotely. In my expeince (having
    worked as a computer tech in a school) it works well.

    Paul
    "Marcus" <holysmokes99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to upgrade my motherboard and would very much like to
    > have the wake-on-lan feature so I can start my computer and access it
    > remotely. I have never used this feature before. Does it work well? Do
    > most motherboards include it these days? I see little mention of it in
    > the specs of many boards.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Marcus

Asus LAN Motherboards