Do most new motherboards have Wake-on-Lan?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 10, 2004 12:51:18 PM

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my motherboard and would very much like to
have the wake-on-lan feature so I can start my computer and access it
remotely. I have never used this feature before. Does it work well? Do
most motherboards include it these days? I see little mention of it in
the specs of many boards.

Thanks,
Marcus

More about : motherboards wake lan

June 10, 2004 10:04:32 PM

Every mobo I've had over the last 10 yrs has had it, its a feature of the
bios

"Marcus" <holysmokes99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to upgrade my motherboard and would very much like to
> have the wake-on-lan feature so I can start my computer and access it
> remotely. I have never used this feature before. Does it work well? Do
> most motherboards include it these days? I see little mention of it in
> the specs of many boards.
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2004 3:52:37 AM

Many new motherboards do WOL via a PCI 2.2 compatible bus, older ones often
had a WOL header whish was used to connect to the NIC via a special cable
both types are enabled through BIOS settings. WOL is very handy for network
admins, especially when combined with PXE capability on the NIC. This
enables things like re-imaging machines remotely. In my expeince (having
worked as a computer tech in a school) it works well.

Paul