Funny Display

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My display started squeezing down (Dali like) in the bottom. I have two XP
Pro computers plugged into this monitor, and pressing the INPUT button to
switch between computers, the other computer displays fine.

Is my video card dead? Or is there something else to look at.
6 answers Last reply
More about funny display

    If you have identical AGP cards in both PCs, make sure that the drivers and display settings resolution and refresh rate are identical.

    Small differences will affect the screen appearance.

    On 17-May-2004, =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > If you have identical AGP cards in both PCs, make sure that the drivers and
    > display settings resolution and refresh rate are identical.
    >
    > Small differences will affect the screen appearance.

    The cards are different. And the displays for both computers worked fine until
    yesterday.

    You could try swapping the inputs on the monitor (ie plug the PCs in the
    other way round) just to rule out monitor problems.

    Try different settings on the problem PCs graphics setting (reduce
    resolution, refresh rate, colour depth...)

    If you are a little bit technical, trying swapping the graphics cards round
    in the PCs and see if the problem follow the graphics card or stays with the
    problem PC.

    If it follows the card, I would suspect a dodgy graphics card.

    Cheers and good luck!

    ChrisM

    "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message

    > On 17-May-2004, =?Utf-8?B?QkFS?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    > > If you have identical AGP cards in both PCs, make sure that the drivers
    and
    > > display settings resolution and refresh rate are identical.
    > >
    > > Small differences will affect the screen appearance.
    >
    > The cards are different. And the displays for both computers worked fine
    until
    > yesterday.

    I swapped cords, plugging in the cords from the monitors to the other
    computers. They worked fine. Back and forth, good and bad. I finally
    changed refresh rate from 60 to 70 and everything is working fine.

    Weird.

    I spoke too soon. This morning my other computer displays with the same
    problem. My monitor is a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 400PS that cost more than
    my computer when I bought it. I wonder if it is going bad.

    On 19-May-2004, howard@brazee.net wrote:

    > I spoke too soon. This morning my other computer displays with the same
    > problem. My monitor is a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 400PS that cost more than
    > my computer when I bought it. I wonder if it is going bad.

    Funny thing. This monitor has two inputs. I am back to the same plugs in the
    same computers. But the input that was distorted is not the other input.

Hardware Computers Windows XP Displays