P4P800 Deluxe MPU-401 problem

xyz

Hi,

How do I get back my MPU-401 midiport which seems to have gone after I had
to perform an XP repair. It is present in "other devices" in Device Manager,
but I need to install it. Where would the driver be?

Cheers in advance

xyz

anybody?

"xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How do I get back my MPU-401 midiport which seems to have gone after I had
> to perform an XP repair. It is present in "other devices" in Device
Manager,
> but I need to install it. Where would the driver be?
>
> Cheers in advance

Paul

Splendid

In article <cadntv$85s$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote:

> anybody?
>
> "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I get back my MPU-401 midiport which seems to have gone after I had
> > to perform an XP repair. It is present in "other devices" in Device
> Manager,
> > but I need to install it. Where would the driver be?
> >
> > Cheers in advance

Well, your Super I/O chip has two serial ports on it, and a
Windows driver is used for that. As I understand it from looking
in Google, Midi is just a serial port on the Super I/O chip as
well. I'm guessing the driver is already in Windows.
Maybe updating the device by looking for a new driver (and
letting the system find a driver in its existing collection)
will work. The device has to be enabled in the BIOS for this to
work, and since you see it in Other Devices, then you should be
able to fix it while in the Device Manager.

OK, I just enabled the Game/Midi port in the BIOS. I set mine to
200-300, the two addresses for game and midi respectively. I had
three other choices, and I picked the first one from the list.

When I rebooted, I didn't even see the New Hardware Wizard show
up, which means maybe the drivers were in there from the old
motherboard.

The drivers loaded were MSMPU401.sys, PORTCLS.sys, STREAM.sys,
KSUSER.dll, WDMAUD.drv and I/O addresses 300-301 for Midi.
Midi uses IRQ10. For Game port, GAMEENUM.sys is the driver,
and address range is 201-208.

Judging from the location of the drivers, I'm thinking they
are already in Windows.

Just a guess,
Paul

xyz

Thanks for the post - I've installed a Microsoft Windows Publisher "MPU-401
Compatible MIDI Device" driver" but am now faced with a yellow exclamation
mark and the message "This device cannot start. (Code 10). Click
Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device." The
troubleshooter is unable to solve the problem. There are "no conflicts" (I
take it IRQ-wise), so what isn't it functioning?

> In article <cadntv$85s$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "xyz" <dont@spamme.com>
wrote:

> > anybody?
> >
> > "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How do I get back my MPU-401 midiport which seems to have gone after I
had
> > > to perform an XP repair. It is present in "other devices" in Device
> > Manager,
> > > but I need to install it. Where would the driver be?
> > >
> > > Cheers in advance
> > >

> Well, your Super I/O chip has two serial ports on it, and a
> Windows driver is used for that. As I understand it from looking
> in Google, Midi is just a serial port on the Super I/O chip as
> well. I'm guessing the driver is already in Windows.
> Maybe updating the device by looking for a new driver (and
> letting the system find a driver in its existing collection)
> will work. The device has to be enabled in the BIOS for this to
> work, and since you see it in Other Devices, then you should be
> able to fix it while in the Device Manager.
>
> OK, I just enabled the Game/Midi port in the BIOS. I set mine to
> 200-300, the two addresses for game and midi respectively. I had
> three other choices, and I picked the first one from the list.
>
> When I rebooted, I didn't even see the New Hardware Wizard show
> up, which means maybe the drivers were in there from the old
> motherboard.
>
> The drivers loaded were MSMPU401.sys, PORTCLS.sys, STREAM.sys,
> KSUSER.dll, WDMAUD.drv and I/O addresses 300-301 for Midi.
> Midi uses IRQ10. For Game port, GAMEENUM.sys is the driver,
> and address range is 201-208.
>
> Judging from the location of the drivers, I'm thinking they
> are already in Windows.
>
> Just a guess,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <cahh62$3t3$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the post - I've installed a Microsoft Windows Publisher "MPU-401
> Compatible MIDI Device" driver" but am now faced with a yellow exclamation
> mark and the message "This device cannot start. (Code 10). Click
> Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device." The
> troubleshooter is unable to solve the problem. There are "no conflicts" (I
> take it IRQ-wise), so what isn't it functioning?

This thread states a few ideas, but I don't know if I believe them
or not.

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=57697

I guess if I ran out of things to try, I would enter Device Manager
and delete the MPU401 device in Safe Mode. Then, reboot, and let
Windows rediscover the hardware. I don't know enough about code 10,
based on what I've read so far (like info from Microsoft) to
even guess at another solution.

Is there anything in Event Viewer, or other logs of that type ?

Google wasn't too helpful.

Paul

> > In article <cadntv$85s$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "xyz" <dont@spamme.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > anybody?
> > >
> > > "xyz" <dont@spamme.com> wrote in message

> had
> > > Manager,

> > Well, your Super I/O chip has two serial ports on it, and a
> > Windows driver is used for that. As I understand it from looking
> > in Google, Midi is just a serial port on the Super I/O chip as
> > well. I'm guessing the driver is already in Windows.
> > Maybe updating the device by looking for a new driver (and
> > letting the system find a driver in its existing collection)
> > will work. The device has to be enabled in the BIOS for this to
> > work, and since you see it in Other Devices, then you should be
> > able to fix it while in the Device Manager.
> >
> > OK, I just enabled the Game/Midi port in the BIOS. I set mine to
> > 200-300, the two addresses for game and midi respectively. I had
> > three other choices, and I picked the first one from the list.
> >
> > When I rebooted, I didn't even see the New Hardware Wizard show
> > up, which means maybe the drivers were in there from the old
> > motherboard.
> >
> > The drivers loaded were MSMPU401.sys, PORTCLS.sys, STREAM.sys,
> > KSUSER.dll, WDMAUD.drv and I/O addresses 300-301 for Midi.
> > Midi uses IRQ10. For Game port, GAMEENUM.sys is the driver,
> > and address range is 201-208.
> >
> > Judging from the location of the drivers, I'm thinking they
> > are already in Windows.
> >
> > Just a guess,
> > Paul

Len

If you have done this my apologies for wasting bandwidth... my P4P800Dlx has
a setting in CMOS to activate the MIDI interface and also to change (in a
limited way) its I/O. Have you checked in cmos to see if possibly you could
choose the other I/O to see if that helps?

Good Luck,
Len