No Intel Application accelerator for non-raid 865PE chipse..

TK

It doesn't install even on a machine with a raid 0 setup.
That system is a P4P800-Deluxe.

Why no IAA for the ide on this chipset?

Paul

Splendid

In article <40c9bbe7$1_1@127.0.0.1>, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:

> It doesn't install even on a machine with a raid 0 setup.
> That system is a P4P800-Deluxe.
>
> Why no IAA for the ide on this chipset?

I think IAA was invented a while ago, when the first
bus mastering IDE interfaces were invented. Windows didn't
come with bus mastering drivers, so Intel shipped its own
driver. It is also possible there might have been a little
caching (using system memory) in the Intel driver, not too
sure about that.

As time has passed, Windows now has perfectly good standard
drivers, and chipset designers try to make the IDE block as
standard as possible, to work with whatever drivers have
already been written. Bus mastering (DMA) is in those
drivers, so that feature is no longer unique. The OS probably
has some caching of its own now.

So, Intel decided to stop developing IAA and started working
on IAAR instead. That supports raid 0 under WinXP, on the ICH5R.
The RAID has to be enabled in the BIOS, for the driver to
install. For the RAID BIOS to load at POST, the RAID BIOS
might need to see a disk or two connected to the SATA
interface(s). Those are some things you can check out,
before trying to install the driver. I would hope the drivers
would install with zero disks connected, but you never know.

Your motherboard CD is probably the same one I've got, and
in the \manual folder is "IAA RAID Manual.doc". That is a
Word doc from Intel, on using the Intel RAID.

HTH,
Paul