Looking for recommendations for new inkjet printer (UK)

I'd appreciate any recommendations for a printer to the following spec:

Price: up to 250 pounds sterling
Paper: A4 only is ok. But may want to print the occassional acetate.
Photo: Occassional photo printing but no need for direct printing from compact flash or other photo media.
Connection: Parallel (important)
Network: Must work with a print server. (Linksys EFSP42)

My previous printer was a HP Deskjet 895CXi. Something similar in size to that would be fine. The Canon i865 is currently top of my list.

Dougie

<< From: Dougie Nisbet pan@highmoor.co.uk
Date: Sun, Apr 18, 2004 10:39 AM

I'd appreciate any recommendations for a printer to the following spec:

Price: up to 250 pounds sterling
Paper: A4 only is ok. But may want to print the occassional acetate.
Photo: Occassional photo printing but no need for direct printing
from compact flash or other photo media.
Connection: Parallel (important)
Network: Must work with a print server. (Linksys EFSP42)

My previous printer was a HP Deskjet 895CXi. Something similar in size to that
would be fine. The Canon i865 is currently top of my list.

Dougie

The i865 is a great little printer. A friend of mine (USA) bought an i860 and
it produces quick, beautiful photos. The i860 was rated tops in a recent
consumer reports magazine and also had the lowest text printing costs.

I enthusiastically second the recommendation for the Canon i865
(US=i860; the same except without the ability to print CDs).

I also had the HP 895cxi printer and replaced it with the Canon i860
and have never once regretted it. The ink cartridges are about
one-third the cost of the HP cartridges; the i860 prints great
pictures quickly; it has separate cartridges for each of the colors
(remember having to throw away the HP color cartridge when just one of
the colors was empty?); and it also prints great, crisp text with the
additional black pigment ink cartridge. I use it to print my high
school class newsletter (Class of 1952!)and it churns out great
pictures and laser-like text equally.

I wish the i865 version was available here in the U.S. because I'm
putting my high school yearbook on a CD with lots of other class
memoribilia, such as newspaper clippings, photos, programs, etc., and
the CD-printing capability of the i865 sure would come in handy to
give it a professional look.

My i860 does everything else very well though. I've had it half a year
with absolutely no trouble with clogging or print fading (although I
haven't hung any prints out in full sun, but who does?). It feeds
envelopes very well too (remember all the frustrating envelope feeding
problems with the HP 895?) All papers and envelopes feed straight
through flawlessly.

The price is right too (at least over here). I recommend the Canon
i865 (i860 in U.S.) highly.