CD-RW Not Recognized in Drive

I recently upgraded my PC OS to MS XP. Unfortunately, I am unable to write to my CDR-CDRW. I uninstalled the Adaptec Direct CD software because it's not supported by XP. Now I'm unable to writer to the burner.

I did modify the registry to ensure XP recognized the drive as CDR-CDRW drive. XP displays a "recording" tap in the properties dialog for the hardware. It even allows me to create temporary files to burn to a CD. However, when I attempt to "write the files to CD," a dialog appears prompting for a writable disc, which is already in the drive.

Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about recognized drive

    /Dan B./ said:

    > I recently upgraded my PC OS to MS XP. Unfortunately, I am unable to write to my CDR-CDRW. I uninstalled the Adaptec Direct CD software because it's not supported by XP. Now I'm unable to writer to the burner.
    >
    > I did modify the registry to ensure XP recognized the drive as CDR-CDRW drive. XP displays a "recording" tap in the properties dialog for the hardware. It even allows me to create temporary files to burn to a CD. However, when I attempt to "write the files to CD," a dialog appears prompting for a writable disc, which is already in the drive.

    Click that RECORD tab and verify that recording is enabled.

    All click START|RUN and type

    services.msc

    Locate the IMAPI CD Burner Service item. Double-click on it. If it isn't
    set to AUTOMATIC, click the arrow to the right of the box and make it so.
    If it isn't started, click START.

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

    ----- dev wrote: -----

    /Dan B./ said:

    > I recently upgraded my PC OS to MS XP. Unfortunately, I am unable to write to my CDR-CDRW. I uninstalled the Adaptec Direct CD software because it's not supported by XP. Now I'm unable to writer to the burner.
    >> I did modify the registry to ensure XP recognized the drive as CDR-CDRW drive. XP displays a "recording" tap in the properties dialog for the hardware. It even allows me to create temporary files to burn to a CD. However, when I attempt to "write the files to CD," a dialog appears prompting for a writable disc, which is already in the drive.

    Click that RECORD tab and verify that recording is enabled.

    All click START|RUN and type

    services.msc

    Locate the IMAPI CD Burner Service item. Double-click on it. If it isn't
    set to AUTOMATIC, click the arrow to the right of the box and make it so.
    If it isn't started, click START.

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
    http://support.microsoft.com

    --------------------------------
    Still doesn't see the disc with local services changed as prescribed. Any other suggestions?

    One other thing to note, the service, for whatever reasons, stops, and I have to restart.

    ----- Dan B. wrote: -----

    ----- dev wrote: -----

    /Dan B./ said:

    > I recently upgraded my PC OS to MS XP. Unfortunately, I am unable to write to my CDR-CDRW. I uninstalled the Adaptec Direct CD software because it's not supported by XP. Now I'm unable to writer to the burner.
    >> I did modify the registry to ensure XP recognized the drive as CDR-CDRW drive. XP displays a "recording" tap in the properties dialog for the hardware. It even allows me to create temporary files to burn to a CD. However, when I attempt to "write the files to CD," a dialog appears prompting for a writable disc, which is already in the drive.

    Click that RECORD tab and verify that recording is enabled.

    All click START|RUN and type

    services.msc

    Locate the IMAPI CD Burner Service item. Double-click on it. If it isn't
    set to AUTOMATIC, click the arrow to the right of the box and make it so.
    If it isn't started, click START.

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
    http://support.microsoft.com

    --------------------------------
    Still doesn't see the disc with local services changed as prescribed. Any other suggestions?

    In the properties > recording tab in My Computer, check
    that the write speed is appropriate for the disc you are
    using.
    ie. If your speed is set to 8x, and you insert a 4x max
    disc, the write wizard will appear to think there is no
    disc in the drive.

    Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
    My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
    I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply, but I didn't know
    how to implement the reply. In desperation I poked around my computer
    until I stumbled on Help and Support. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
    they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
    Since my knowledge of computers is marginal, at best, it was important for me that the
    procedure was very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

    If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
    Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

    Just in case you want to use the procedure that solved my problem, I include it here.
    I made it a bit more user friendly but lengthy. Hope you don't mind. All the best, Adam

    What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition?

    I suggest that you print the following procedure and work from paper copy.

    In case you don't know how to copy and print text,
    point cursor at top left of the text to print (When you loaded XP, etc),
    press and hold mouse's left button, drag the cursor to the right of the screen
    and then to the bottom right of the text,
    release left button, right click anywhere on the text, point cursor at word Copy
    and left click on it once.
    Open Notepad by left clicking on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad.
    Point cursor at top left of the blank page and right click. Left click on word Paste.
    Text should appear on the Notepad's blank page.
    To print left click on File (top left)>Print>Print button.

    When you loaded XP, was cd burning software like Easy CD Creator loaded on the computer?
    Was your CD writer listed in the BIOS? (BIOS is in white writing on black background
    right after computer starts up and before Windows XP loads up)
    Is it absent from the Device Manager?
    To check left click on: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>
    Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
    Minimize the Computer Management window, you will need it later.
    You are unable to load a new driver?
    Reloading cd burning software doesn't make any difference?
    Yes to all of the above means the culprits are the Upper/Lower Filters.

    1. Uninstall any cd burning software from the system.
    Then reboot by left clicking on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART

    2. Left click START>RUN, Type regedit , left click OK, to open the Registry Editor.
    To expand each line, left click on + (plus sign) to the left of each of the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENTCONTROLSET>CONTROL>CLASS.
    Find and highlight (left click) on the line: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    3. To save this file to the Desktop, in case this procedure does not work:
    Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then left click on EXPORT.
    Left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in Export Registry File
    to highlight it, this will place this line in File Name box, left click on Save. Close Export Registry File.

    4. With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
    blue on the left hand panel of Registry Editor,
    look on the right hand panel under Name for an entry for Upper Filters. Delete Upper Filters.
    To delete, right click on Upper Filters, left click on Delete.
    If there is an entry for Lower Filters, delete them as well.
    Right click on Lower Filters, left click on Delete. Close the Registry Editor.

    5. To restart the machine left click on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART.
    To see if your cd writer is in Device Manager left click on the minimized
    Comuter Management icon in bottom bar or left click on:
    Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>>Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
    Right click on your CD Writer and left click on Uninstall.
    Left click OK on Confirm Device Removal dialog box. This removes your CD Writer from
    the computer, so software can do the procedure of locating newly installed devices.
    Now right click on your computer's name at the top of the tree on right hand panel
    of Computer Management window, to the right of an icon of a computer,
    left click on: Scan For Hardware Changes. This reinstalls your cd writer on your computer.

    6. Reinstall cd burning software, reboot and check that your cd writer works OK.

Windows XP CD-Rom