A7N8X Deluxe, 1007 Bios-SATA Drive Installation, Need LOTS..

drives, install a single Western Digital Caviar SATA 120GB, unformatted
drive to the Primary SATA channel connector on subject motherboard after
enabling on board RAID controller by changing pin out. HOwever, I do not
wish to involk a RAID configuration. I want to use an SATA drive as my
primary OS drive, and/or clone same once fully configured and loaded with
software back to an IDE drive to be installed on that controller at a later
date. The WD drive was installed with no pins in place per instructions from
WD web site for this particular drive. Booted from CDROM drive intending to
load XP and format the drive.

After much stumbling around, guessing, etc., could never get the BIOS to see
the SATA drive much less the OS. It does see that no IDE drives are
installed, that two CD drives are installed on the primary IDE channel, but
nothing on SATAs.

Did get to the RAID setup screen which gave me no options that seem to apply
to what I want to do, except a low level format, which I presumably
accomplished. Also, later, after installing a bootable IDE drive, the OS
confirmed recognition and installation of the RAID controller. BUT, still no
recognition of the SATA drive except by the RAID screen. GUESS it needs a
high level format too, but not sure how I should proceed with this whole
installation procedure. Was attempting to load WinXP to the drive using same
to format it, but only got so far as a screen that sees three separate
unknown drives which I believe are the two CDs and the SATA HD. On screen
instructions indicated could select one using up/dwn arrows, however, none
of the control keys had any effect. Every thing just stopped there.

Would appreciate additional help from those who previously responded or
whomever else can help. Will gladly contact by email if that is desireable.
I have nothing to reference that has helped on how to procede getting one or
more SATA drives operating so as to install XP and use just like an IDE
drive. Also, for Ben Pope whose previous response led me to his site:
Looked your site over carefully and dwn loaded all drivers you specified.
But, the link for the SIIMAGE 3112 connected me to there home page, but for
the life of me, I could find nothing thereon that was downloadable, so did
not get whatever it is you expected me to get. Advising of this only because
do not know if I was the problem or the link may no longer be valid for
intended purpose??

Mike
"Bill Tarkington" <k3yc@arrl.net> schreef in bericht
> drives, install a single Western Digital Caviar SATA 120GB, unformatted
> drive to the Primary SATA channel connector on subject motherboard after
> enabling on board RAID controller by changing pin out. HOwever, I do not
> wish to involk a RAID configuration. I want to use an SATA drive as my
> primary OS drive, and/or clone same once fully configured and loaded with
> software back to an IDE drive to be installed on that controller at a
later
> date. The WD drive was installed with no pins in place per instructions
from
> WD web site for this particular drive. Booted from CDROM drive intending
> load XP and format the drive.
>
> After much stumbling around, guessing, etc., could never get the BIOS to
see
> the SATA drive much less the OS. It does see that no IDE drives are
> installed, that two CD drives are installed on the primary IDE channel,
but
> nothing on SATAs.
>
> Did get to the RAID setup screen which gave me no options that seem to
apply
> to what I want to do, except a low level format, which I presumably
> accomplished. Also, later, after installing a bootable IDE drive, the OS
> confirmed recognition and installation of the RAID controller. BUT, still
no
> recognition of the SATA drive except by the RAID screen. GUESS it needs a
> high level format too, but not sure how I should proceed with this whole
> installation procedure. Was attempting to load WinXP to the drive using
same
> to format it, but only got so far as a screen that sees three separate
> unknown drives which I believe are the two CDs and the SATA HD. On screen
> instructions indicated could select one using up/dwn arrows, however, none
> of the control keys had any effect. Every thing just stopped there.
>
> Would appreciate additional help from those who previously responded or
> whomever else can help. Will gladly contact by email if that is
desireable.
> I have nothing to reference that has helped on how to procede getting one
or
> more SATA drives operating so as to install XP and use just like an IDE
> drive. Also, for Ben Pope whose previous response led me to his site:
> Looked your site over carefully and dwn loaded all drivers you specified.
> But, the link for the SIIMAGE 3112 connected me to there home page, but
for
> the life of me, I could find nothing thereon that was downloadable, so did
> not get whatever it is you expected me to get. Advising of this only
because
> do not know if I was the problem or the link may no longer be valid for
> intended purpose??

Bill,

At the beginning of the XP install you are asked whether you wish to install
third party drivers,
then press F6 and point to the floppydisk that contains the sata driver.

Hope that helps.

Mike