When will the next Microsoft OS arrive?

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I found it hard to put a lot of thoughts into one question, then categorize it lol...

Aside from making money, why does MS do this? Why does MS completely revamp their OS? I have use a few Linux distros, still do, and sure they go on with a xyz 6,7,8, etc as the years roll on. But Linux does not go so far and call Fedora Ubuntu, etc....

But seriously folks, Vista & Windows 7 are different and too close to each other. I do like the direction MS is going with the branding though. Maybe a Windows 8? Clean & simple is best. I like the old MS 98, in fact I use Vista Home Basic with the Windows classic theme enabled. I like Linux. I try to make my MS OS behave and look as much as Linux as I can. :sol:
Anyway, hope my thoughts came out clearly enough for a reply to satisfy my curiosity.

The main question though is: Aside from making money, why does MS completely revamp their OS?

Solution
It's rather simple. It gives them a chance to redo some bad code rather than just patching it. You can see this going from Vista to Win 7 as Win 7 uses less memory and has a little lower CPU utilization. More importantly, it provides new features and libraries to incorporate into new programs to sell you. Keep in mind that you don't want to make the new OS a requirement for a particular program, like making a game Win 8 only one month after the Win 8 launch, or you won't sell that well. Rather the foundation for future programs and OS interfaces is built so that they can sell you programs that need Win 8 only after a large number of people are using Win 8 or latter.

So there you go, nifty programs Microsoft can sell you means more...

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
hi parabola

Welcome to THG

Windows 98
June 25, 1998

Windows XP
October 25, 2001

Windows Vista
November 30, 2006

Windows 7
October 22, 2009

Last word was early in 2013

For your other question. Its simple to force people onto newer hardware to keep their partners happy and to make money!!!

thx for the welcome, been a member for three years.

as stated i understand the money making part. my question is why the mindset to completely re brand the OS.

i realize upgrades are necessary as tech progresses...that is normal evolution.

my query is with the huge changes across the board. in comparison with other OS's, there's a huge difference.

imagine the good if they put as much effort into functionality - instead of eyewash, as has been the case through the years. Long live the penguin :lol: haha

+1
New competitors like Android and Chrome OS, and new hardware like ARM CPUs and tablets, smarter smart phones
and new directions of software, user applications and content (3D movies and 3D enhanced games) are all reasons to pursue a new OS.

Windows 8: everything you need to know

Actually Dell and a few other manufacturers offer Linux. Most of their computers are definately sold with Windows, but Windows is by no means the only option. MS Office is rarely bundled with OEM computers... the best you get is a 60-day trial... you have to buy Office if you want it.

Apple is just as evil. They're just not as big in the home / office PC business. Of course Apple doesn't sell Windows with their PCs... they're in the business of selling MacOS... something that they should try and sell on the PC side instead of shoving their over-priced, candy-shelled hardware down our throats. Twice the price of a WinPC, yet no one (or almost no one) seems to complain. Who's paying what tax again?

You're free to use whatever you want. No one is suggesting otherwise. The only limits you have are those you place on yourself.

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
...i guess MS changes their OS completely because they can. the majority of reasons is a monetary push. i like how XP just hangs on because so many [mainly businesses] just will not recant. love it... :fou:

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Microsoft also sometimes changes the underlying core components of the OS. There is a limit on what you could change underneath before you just start going mad.

Windows XP included a change to the NT Kernel (which was more stable at the time).

Windows Vista intended to change a lot, just take a look at how it handles graphics. Though not everything went to plan, they wanted to change a lot in such a limited time frame. (Also they removed a lot of legacy items here, such as 16-bit application compatibility)

Windows 7 is the new name to remove the bad taste people had of Vista. Sure they could have just marketed it as a Service Pack, but removing the notion from people is harder than you think. (Think Intel when you're referring to cpu's to old people)

With Windows 8, they're probably revamping another portion of the core of the OS. From initial rumors, some say they'd only make it a 64-bit only release.

It's rather simple. It gives them a chance to redo some bad code rather than just patching it. You can see this going from Vista to Win 7 as Win 7 uses less memory and has a little lower CPU utilization. More importantly, it provides new features and libraries to incorporate into new programs to sell you. Keep in mind that you don't want to make the new OS a requirement for a particular program, like making a game Win 8 only one month after the Win 8 launch, or you won't sell that well. Rather the foundation for future programs and OS interfaces is built so that they can sell you programs that need Win 8 only after a large number of people are using Win 8 or latter.

So there you go, nifty programs Microsoft can sell you means more money for them. OS upgrades mean more money for them. A more secure OS builds confidence in MS and means for money for them. So basically it means more money for them :D

Solution

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
well my country you buy a OEM pc from a middleman. Its a Dell but the software is bundled differently.

The user base of Microsoft software is tremendous . More accurately, it is unparallelled . No software or hardware company on the face of the Earth has as many users as Microsoft does. This is my ( personal ) first and foremost reason to begin to dislike and distrust Microsoft . It has unsurpassed power and influence . It could do just about anything it wants in the software world and, due to its monetary influence , in the physical world as well. Does it? How is it using its power ? Predatory Business Practices: Misuse of User

Microsoft uses its power to reinforce its position and gain money . Yes, those are the goals of a business , but are these the goal s that a superpower should have? Above, we have seen that Microsoft has unparallelled control within the world . Thus, it is a superpower . Indeed, the case can be made that it is a monopoly in the PC market. How are they using this monstrous advantage ? Quelling consumer choice and gain ing more money and power . Bundling Internet Exploitable ( IE ) with Windows was a step . Most casual IE users I know use it because it's a) already there and b) start s the fastest of any browser out there for Windows . Why is it already there? Because it's bundle d with Windows . Why does it start so fast ? Because it's an "inseperable" part of the operating system (suuure) and the core component s and libraries are load ed when you start the [computer. Additionally , (and this really torques me off) IE is required in order to obtain update s to the OS . Security updates as well as fun thing s such as screen saver s and theme s. You now really have to at least have IE install ed. Another step: Corel brought forth document s show ing that Microsoft deliberately threw in incompatabilities in Windows 3.1 in order to keep their product,DR-DOS, from running Windows , thus eliminating it as a threat to their monopoly . (http://www.drdos.com/fullstory/final4.html) Let us not forget .Net / C-sharp , the not- Java . C-sharp is effectively Java , with some Microsoft -specific " enhancement s" throw n in and the platform independence take n out . .Net puts the platform independence back in to a degree , and adds some more features to the Microsoft offering. Glorified , bloat ed RPC s, anyone ? Predatory Business Practices: Support Since when can a company get away with providing essentially no tech support with their product ? I remember back to the first Gateway 2000 box my family got. We got huge manual s detailing most everything that could be done on the computer (The Windows and MS-DOS book s were each in excess of 400-600 pages. Now, you get about 20-50 pages of basically installation instructions .) The online help is of no help, either. That is all of the "This is Your Mouse" variety . (Not quite true for all cases, but close ). In order to learn what all you can do with your win.ini file or registry for instance , you have to purchase a miriad of books. Even then, not all details are covered. If something isn't in your online help or brochure - manual , then you must pay to get the privilege of call ing tech support more than three time s. (for my copy of NT , anyhow ). If you have an OEM copy, then watch out ! You must contact your vendor . (a vast majority of users.) Microsoft: It's not Just Software Contrary to what some people believe , Microsoft does not just produce software . Ever heard of MSN ? Hotmail ? Microsoft is an ISP and an email provider . How about the Intellimouse or the Natural Keyboard ? They produce hardware , too. How about MSNBC ? They are into television and cable . Heard about the X-Box ? They do console game system s. The list of disparate fields Microsoft is in goes on and on. Microsoft is not just a monopoly , it's a conglomerate as well. (Has anyone checked in on this from a legal standpoint ?) Not only that, but even the software produced should be examined more closely . Microsoft produces the drivers many users use, the Operating System (core components e.g. the kernel), the Graphics system ( X in unix ), the window manager , the browser , on up to applications such as IIS and Office . There is nothing preventing Microsoft from putting in code to give themselves an advantage and competitors a disadvantage at any link along the chain from hardware to application s. This is possibly the scariest tothose like me who tend to be lightly paranoid . Unseen API s or call s to give Microsoft apps a leg up , enhance the performance of their hardware , or surreptitiously monitor the user without the user ever knowing. if(browser.ident != "Internet Explorer"){ error("This application has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.");} They Charged For a Beta of Windows 2000 Charging for a beta ?

...what? :sleep:

runswindows95

Distinguished
http://windows8news.com/2011/01/03/microsoft-compiled-windows-8-milestone-2-rumor/

Seems most likely Q1 of 2012. The main reason Windows keeps coming out is to keep up with hardware changes. Also, security changes as well. It's easier to make a new OS to support the changes than to keep rewriting the same OS to keep up. Far as the names, not sure of the new naming scheme, but whatever. Also, the average user only updates to the newest Windows when they buy a new system. I'm still running XP myself because my hardware is obsolete. Why put new software on a three year old system?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
@dadiggle

Do you remember how fast XP was before SP2? It was possible to boot into the desktop and have a usable system within 20~30 seconds. This is really damn hard to do after SP2.

Then there's the multitude of patches, upon patches being applied. (They even upped the KB numbers from 6 to 7 digits now)

Face it, XP is a leaky ship and just like a leaky ship, there's a limited amount of patching that you could do. There comes a point wherein the cost of repair becomes more than getting a new ship.

* As for the drivers, blame the device makers for not making drivers for old hardware wherein they wouldn't make a single buck.