When new XP release will support SSE3 ?

Hi,
Because I want to choose the good Pentium4 (P4C vs P4E) to build my new professionnel platform - I generally overload my system by running many applications (even the same - like 10 or more Explorer) at the same time -
I want to be sure if I Choose the P4-E (Prescott) proc the SSE3 will support soon by XP - especially the HT new features (mwait, monitor) the others features are normally more application dépendant.

Does any body Know When ?
in whitch release ?
XP SP2 ?
XP Reloaded ?

If I need to wait for Longhorn, I'm afraid it's also the time of the next change of my platform !!!

Many thanks for your Helps
4 answers Last reply
More about when release support sse3

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 is mostly about security. It will give you tools to easily view, understand, and control the security aspects of your computer. It includes changes in the operating system to nearly every area related to computer and network security.

    A pop-up blocker for Internet Explorer, a new Security Centre, and a new and more intuitive interface for wireless networking are some of the most visible components of SP2.

    For a detailed overview:

    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/200401/01/win_xp_sp2_preview.html

    Gerald wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Because I want to choose the good Pentium4 (P4C vs P4E) to build my
    > new professionnel platform - I generally overload my system by
    > running many applications (even the same - like 10 or more Explorer)
    > at the same time - I want to be sure if I Choose the P4-E (Prescott)
    > proc the SSE3 will support soon by XP - especially the HT new
    > features (mwait, monitor) the others features are normally more
    > application dépendant.
    >
    > Does any body Know When ?
    > in whitch release ?
    > XP SP2 ?
    > XP Reloaded ?
    >
    > If I need to wait for Longhorn, I'm afraid it's also the time of the
    > next change of my platform !!!
    >
    > Many thanks for your Helps

    If you are wanting long-term CPU upgrade capabilities, now is the wrong
    time to invest in a new CPU unless that CPU has the new pin designs
    being developed by both AMD and Intel. Most of the P4 and AMD Barton
    are near or at a dead end in the socket design, leaving no upgrade path.

    Hi

    There are News Groups specific to SP2. Someone there may be able to help
    you:

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Gerald" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    | Because I want to choose the good Pentium4 (P4C vs P4E) to build my new
    professionnel platform - I generally overload my system by running many
    applications (even the same - like 10 or more Explorer) at the same time -
    | I want to be sure if I Choose the P4-E (Prescott) proc the SSE3 will
    support soon by XP - especially the HT new features (mwait, monitor) the
    others features are normally more application dépendant.

    | Does any body Know When ?
    | in whitch release ?
    | XP SP2 ?
    | XP Reloaded ?
    |
    | If I need to wait for Longhorn, I'm afraid it's also the time of the next
    change of my platform !!!

    | Many thanks for your Helps

    Answer is never, but that is just my educated guess.

    I have disassembled kernel from SP2 RC1 and haven't found MONITOR/MWAIT support in it

    Linux community already implemented this nice feature into the kernel as of 2.6.4

    Only thing different in SP2 is new processor driver (intelppm.sys) which seems to be the same or at
    least similar to the one mentioned in Knowledge Base which is meant to support mobile Prescott power
    management features.

    What is surprising that it installs itself for my Prescott 2.8E and if I do some profiling in VTune Performance
    Analyzer 50% of the clockticks come from the driver and other 50% from the application I am profiling -- IMHO
    that is a bit wierd.

    IF ANYONE FROM MICROSOFT IS READING THIS:

    PLEASE INCLUDE UPDATED KERNEL SYNCHRONIZATION PRIMITIVES
    (MONITOR/MWAIT INSTEAD OF SPIN LOOPS) FOR PRESCOTT CPU IN SP2 FINAL.
    SSE3 IS APPLICATION SPECIFIC BUT MONITOR/MWAIT BELONGS IN THE KERNEL!!!

Support Windows XP