Copying mp3 files to hard drive

When I copy mp3 audio files from CD to my hard drive, I randomly get an error saying "Cannot copy file: Invalid MS-Dos function". I can have 10 mp3's on one Cd and only one won't copy. How do I resolve this. Also, there is nothing wrong with these mp3 files - they copy fine if the operating system is not Windows XP.
2 answers Last reply
More about copying files hard drive

    Get a program to do your music copying, such as MusicMatch
    or Jet Audio.

    BTW, A music CD with 10 songs is probably a wav file, you
    can have far more than 10 MP3 files on a CD. Are you trying
    to rip files from a commercial CD to your hard drive, or
    burn music from your hard drive to a CD?

    "Helga" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | When I copy mp3 audio files from CD to my hard drive, I
    randomly get an error saying "Cannot copy file: Invalid
    MS-Dos function". I can have 10 mp3's on one Cd and only one
    won't copy. How do I resolve this. Also, there is nothing
    wrong with these mp3 files - they copy fine if the operating
    system is not Windows XP.

    The problem may be exactly how the files were written to the CD, or it could
    be bad media. The typical drag&drop (copy&paste) function of the operating
    system that you use for magnetic disks does NOT really work for CDs. If it
    seems to work on a computer, that is because that computer has some
    additional software that supports somehting called packet writing (e.g.,
    DirectCD, InCD, DLA). However, these special formats are not all
    interchangeable, and worse are not self-consistentent among versions of the
    same nominal format.

    In the future, try writing to the CD (-R or -RW) in Joliet format, which is
    more universal, but is a write-once format. However, in the case of CD-RW
    media, they can be "erased" and they re-written, Easy CD Creator version 6
    does this well for XP, and I assume that Nero 6 does as well.

    As for your current problem, download a program called ISOBUSTER, whihc can
    read a CD (or DVD) by several different means. One way is the same as
    Windows, but one of the others may allow you to copy the file off of the CD.
    Technically, ISOBUSTER is part-free and part-shareware, but the features
    that you need should be part of the free-part.

    "Helga" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I copy mp3 audio files from CD to my hard drive, I randomly get an
    error saying "Cannot copy file: Invalid MS-Dos function". I can have 10
    mp3's on one Cd and only one won't copy. How do I resolve this. Also, there
    is nothing wrong with these mp3 files - they copy fine if the operating
    system is not Windows XP.

CD-Rom Hard Drives MP3 Windows XP