Copying mp3 files to hard drive

May 17, 2004 10:11:06 AM

When I copy mp3 audio files from CD to my hard drive, I randomly get an error saying "Cannot copy file: Invalid MS-Dos function". I can have 10 mp3's on one Cd and only one won't copy. How do I resolve this. Also, there is nothing wrong with these mp3 files - they copy fine if the operating system is not Windows XP.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 12:20:55 PM

Get a program to do your music copying, such as MusicMatch
or Jet Audio.

BTW, A music CD with 10 songs is probably a wav file, you
can have far more than 10 MP3 files on a CD. Are you trying
to rip files from a commercial CD to your hard drive, or
burn music from your hard drive to a CD?

"Helga" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| When I copy mp3 audio files from CD to my hard drive, I
randomly get an error saying "Cannot copy file: Invalid
MS-Dos function". I can have 10 mp3's on one Cd and only one
won't copy. How do I resolve this. Also, there is nothing
wrong with these mp3 files - they copy fine if the operating
system is not Windows XP.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 12:29:12 PM

The problem may be exactly how the files were written to the CD, or it could
be bad media. The typical drag&drop (copy&paste) function of the operating
system that you use for magnetic disks does NOT really work for CDs. If it
seems to work on a computer, that is because that computer has some
additional software that supports somehting called packet writing (e.g.,
DirectCD, InCD, DLA). However, these special formats are not all
interchangeable, and worse are not self-consistentent among versions of the
same nominal format.

In the future, try writing to the CD (-R or -RW) in Joliet format, which is
more universal, but is a write-once format. However, in the case of CD-RW
media, they can be "erased" and they re-written, Easy CD Creator version 6
does this well for XP, and I assume that Nero 6 does as well.

As for your current problem, download a program called ISOBUSTER, whihc can
read a CD (or DVD) by several different means. One way is the same as
Windows, but one of the others may allow you to copy the file off of the CD.
Technically, ISOBUSTER is part-free and part-shareware, but the features
that you need should be part of the free-part.

!