Which type of memory do I need and how do I know?

pat

Expert

How do I know what type of memory I have and what type I need? What is
the difference between DDR and SDRAM? Does it matter if it is PC2700,
PC133, or PC100? Thanks for your help.

papa

Read your manual or get the info from your computer manufacturer's website.

Pat wrote:
> How do I know what type of memory I have and what type I need? What is
> the difference between DDR and SDRAM? Does it matter if it is PC2700,
> PC133, or PC100? Thanks for your help.

If you know the model of the motherboard or the model of your PC if it's a
brand name, the Crucial memory selector is invaluable.
http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

PC100/133 SDRAM, have 168 pins.
PC1600/2100/2700/3200 all DDR SDRAM, have 184 pins.

The Belarc Advisor can help identify your hardware by creating a local
summary page.

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

chrism

If you have a branded PC, you could look at www.kingston.com or
www.offtek.co.uk

both of those sites will let you search for memory by the brand and model of
your PC.

The documentation that came with your PC might give you some details of the
memory specification.

Otherwise, you will have to open your PC up and have a look. Only do this if
you know what you are doing though, otherwise it may be safer to take it
somewhere like PC-World and get an engineer to look for you (they will
probably rip you off though)

Also, try www.crucial.com
--
Cheers, Bob