lsass.exe system error

HELP! When I have entered the internet my XP home edition
system will have a "system shutdown" popup stating
that "lsass.exe system error" has occurred and the system
will automatically shutdown. The next time I enter the
internet it will popup sooner than before and so on. I
have reformated my harddrive twice to clear out the
situation thought to be brought on by a virus but no
luck. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I
have tried researching the issue but no luck there
either. Thanks!

Follow these instructions to remove "The Sasser Worm" from your computer:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/sasser.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"System Error" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| HELP! When I have entered the internet my XP home edition
| system will have a "system shutdown" popup stating
| that "lsass.exe system error" has occurred and the system
| will automatically shutdown. The next time I enter the
| internet it will popup sooner than before and so on. I
| have reformated my harddrive twice to clear out the
| situation thought to be brought on by a virus but no
| luck. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I
| have tried researching the issue but no luck there
| either. Thanks!

If it is the sasser, bring up your task manager (Ctrl+Alt+
Del) and click on processes. Look for the following
processes: Avserve.exe or Avserve2.exe. End process for
each occurence of the file (you might have more than one
of each. You should then be able to connect to the
internet and download the sasser removal tool kit at
microsoft.com. You also mentioned that your pc tells the
system will automatically shutdown---this is not sasser,
if it gives you a countdown and then reboots, it is a
worm. This is usually accompanied by an RPC error after
the system reboots. If you are getting this also, as
soon as the countdown starts, click on Start--->Run, then
type in "shutdown -a" without the quotation marks. Do
this every time the countdown starts and you will be able
to stay online and download the blaster worm removal kit
at the same microsoft site. If you have any more
problems, just let me know and email me at my website.
Hope this helps,
Abel