Win XP Pro and D-Link DWL-G520 can't connect to the intern..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.

Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
something but.....It is really starting to bug me.

Thanks,
Walter
7 answers Last reply
More about link g520 connect intern
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    The first question I always ask is if you can ping the web sites. if not,
    check the DNS settings first, or post ipconfig /all here.
    or you can go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net >do-it-yourself tools to do the
    troubleshooting.

    --
    For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
    Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

    Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
    > connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
    > DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
    > The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
    > I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
    > connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
    > utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
    >
    > Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
    > using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
    > something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Walter
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    It sounds as though you may have a corrupted Winsock. The Winsock is an
    application that sits between your browser and the tcp/ip stack. When you
    install a network adapter without first disabling your virus protection
    software it corrupts the winsock. Normally, you won't see the difference
    unless you're attempting to connect wirelessly. This is because wireless
    traffic has additional headers that increase the packet size.

    I would suggest that you first log into the router's web configuration
    utility. Select the Tools tab and the Misc button. Attempt to ping
    "yahoo.com" from the router's ping utility. If the ping is unsuccessful,
    click on the Home tab and the WAN button and set static DNS addresses.
    4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 should work.

    If this is successful you probably do have a corrupted Winsock. You can
    download a small program that will fit a a floppy disk that will reinstall
    your Winsock and get you up and running in no time. That program can be
    downloaded at http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html .

    Best of luck to you.

    1-877-45DLINK

    "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
    > connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
    > DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
    > The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
    > I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
    > connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
    > utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
    >
    > Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
    > using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
    > something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Walter
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Even before PINGing web sites:
    1) run IPCONFIG. Do you have an IP address in the same subnet as the
    wireless desktop's wireless interface?
    2) does IPCONFIG show a Default Gateway address equal to the wireless
    desktop's wireless interface?
    3) can you PING the wireless desktop's wireless interface? Can you PING the
    wireless desktop's Internet interface? Can you PING the ISP (run IPCONFIG
    on the wireless desktop and get the address of the Default Gateway).

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "Robert L [MS-MVP]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The first question I always ask is if you can ping the web sites. if not,
    > check the DNS settings first, or post ipconfig /all here.
    > or you can go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net >do-it-yourself tools to do
    the
    > troubleshooting.
    >
    > --
    > For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >
    > Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
    > Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more
    help.

    > Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    >
    > "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
    > > connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
    > > DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
    > > The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
    > > I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
    > > connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
    > > utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
    > >
    > > Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
    > > using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
    > > something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Walter

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Hi Ron.
    Here's the IPCONFIG from the wireless desktop:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . : mycomputer-c4gqi8
    Primary Dns Suffix. . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G
    DWL-G520 Adapter
    Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-88-A6-5A-7C
    Dhcp Enabled . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address . . . : 169.254.81.115
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . :

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Media State. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet
    Adapter
    Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-6E-82-5B-0F

    * I should note that it looks like I have 2 network adapters - according to
    the above and according to Device Manager (also I have two double computer
    icons in my Win XP tray, one with a red X through it (the VIA Compatable
    one). The VIA Compatable tray icon states that 'Local Area Connection - A
    network cable is unplugged'. This adapter still shows as enabled in Device
    Manager. I have an Asus A7V8X-X mobo and I believe the VIA adapter is a
    resident PCI adapter that comes on the install disk for the mobo.

    **By the way, IPCONFIG on my main desktop (the one with the D-Link DI-624
    and cable modem) shows:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2 :

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . . . :
    IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

    I also tried a 'tracert www.yahoo.com'. It comes back with :

    "Unable to resolve target system name www.yahoo.com"

    Thank you!
    Walter

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > Even before PINGing web sites:
    > 1) run IPCONFIG. Do you have an IP address in the same subnet as the
    > wireless desktop's wireless interface?
    > 2) does IPCONFIG show a Default Gateway address equal to the wireless
    > desktop's wireless interface?
    > 3) can you PING the wireless desktop's wireless interface? Can you PING
    the
    > wireless desktop's Internet interface? Can you PING the ISP (run IPCONFIG
    > on the wireless desktop and get the address of the Default Gateway).
    >
    > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
    >
    > "Robert L [MS-MVP]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > The first question I always ask is if you can ping the web sites. if
    not,
    > > check the DNS settings first, or post ipconfig /all here.
    > > or you can go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net >do-it-yourself tools to do
    > the
    > > troubleshooting.
    > >
    > > --
    > > For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >
    > > Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
    > > Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more
    > help.
    > >
    > > Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting
    on
    > > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    > >
    > > "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have Win XP Pro and put in a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless PCI card. It
    > > > connects ok and can 'see' my network that is established by my D-Link
    > > > DI-624 but I cannot get any Internet access from the wireless desktop.
    > > > The link status and signal strength is at 100%.
    > > > I have unchecked the option of 'Let Windows manage my wireless
    > > > connection' because I am using the D-Link wireless configuration
    > > > utility. I have also tried checking this option with the same result.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas as to what I need to do in order to get Internet access
    > > > using the G520 card? I am thinking it is a Win XP setting or
    > > > something but.....It is really starting to bug me.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Walter

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Walter,

    I misunderstood your configuration before. I now understand your
    configuration to be a broadband modem connected to the WAN port of the
    DI-624, and two computers connected to the DI-624's LAN: one wired to a LAN
    port (the main desktop), and one wireless (the wireless desktop) using the
    DWL-G520.

    The wireless desktop has an IP address in the 169.254.0.0 network. This
    range of addresses is used by Microsoft to give an address to an adapter
    than fails to obtain an address from a DHCP server (in this case, from the
    DI-624). If the wireless desktop had been successful in obtaining an
    address from the router, it would have been in the 192.168.0.x range,
    probably 192.168.0.101.

    With your wireless desktop having an address that's not in the subnet of the
    LAN to which it's connected, you will never communicate with anything at the
    IP layer. Your wireless desktop failed to obtain an address because it has
    not correctly associated with the DI-624, despite the strong signal. You
    need to focus your efforts on the Wi-Fi parameters. Is WEP enabled on the
    DI-624? Try disabling it until you get a basic wireless connection. I'm
    unfamiliar with D-Link's wireless communications utility. You may need to
    configure the wireless desktop with the matching SSID that you configured
    into the DI-624. Make sure that the wireless desktop is in infrastructure
    (not ad-hoc) mode. Infrastructure mode is the mode used with an access
    point.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> [...]
    > > > The first question I always ask is if you can ping the web sites. if
    > not,
    > > > check the DNS settings first, or post ipconfig /all here.
    > > > or you can go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net >do-it-yourself tools to
    do
    > > the
    > > > troubleshooting.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > >
    > > > Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
    > > > Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more
    > > help.
    > > >
    > > > Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting
    > on
    > > > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Ron,

    The suggestion by Mike Greene was the key. It was a corrupted winsock.
    After running the program Mike referenced and rebooting then all was well
    again.
    Thank you Mike!!!

> [...]
    > > Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    > >
    > > I also tried a 'tracert www.yahoo.com'. It comes back with :
    > >
    > > "Unable to resolve target system name www.yahoo.com"
    > >
    > > Thank you!
    > > Walter
    > >
    > > "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
    > > > Even before PINGing web sites:
    > > > 1) run IPCONFIG. Do you have an IP address in the same subnet as the
    > > > wireless desktop's wireless interface?
    > > > 2) does IPCONFIG show a Default Gateway address equal to the wireless
    > > > desktop's wireless interface?
    > > > 3) can you PING the wireless desktop's wireless interface? Can you
    PING
    > > the
    > > > wireless desktop's Internet interface? Can you PING the ISP (run
    > IPCONFIG
    > > > on the wireless desktop and get the address of the Default Gateway).

    I was having a similiar issue with the default MS network settings (ethernet not wireless for me). 4 hours of trying different troubleshooting. Even attempted to install another networking card and reinstall new driver and router. Nothing worked, however... the utility you recommended worked like a champ.

    I regularly scan and clean my home office machine for spyware with adaware and spybot. I have had this problem intermittenly over the past year (twice before) but fixed by doing a restore in the system accessories. Hope no idea that the winsock could be corrupted so easily in XP.

    Thanks a bunch Mike. I learned something new!

    Daniel

Wireless D-Link Microsoft Windows XP