Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Xerox Phaser 8400B

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 9:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't need to
laminate.

Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems feeding our
glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x slower in colour
than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to be the case, and they're
not cheap.

the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm colour.
Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they use a lot of
black ink during the charging process.

any comments on the unit?

thanks,

Carl

More about : xerox phaser 8400b

April 18, 2004 9:41:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

The Minolta 3300 does 26 pages per minute in both color and b&w.The 8400
costs about $1000 in the US,where my 3300 cost me $1539.Of course my 3300DN
also has a built in duplexer,so it was not that bad.I would put this printer
above the HP4600 anyday!I print sales pamphlets with mine and didn't want
the "waxy"feel that the Phaser gives.As for your glossy paper,I find that
you have to try a few brands with any printer to find the one that works
best.Different papers work better with some printers than others.Of course
since I own a laminating shop,as you pointed out,the 8400 was ruled out
anyway.
"Carl Farrington" <carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:c5ub2s$90p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't need to
> laminate.
>
> Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems feeding
our
> glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x slower in colour
> than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to be the case, and
they're
> not cheap.
>
> the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm colour.
> Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they use a lot of
> black ink during the charging process.
>
> any comments on the unit?
>
> thanks,
>
> Carl
>
>
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 11:26:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Douglas wrote:
> The Minolta 3300 does 26 pages per minute in both color and b&w.The
> 8400 costs about $1000 in the US,where my 3300 cost me $1539.Of
> course my 3300DN also has a built in duplexer,so it was not that
> bad.I would put this printer above the HP4600 anyday!I print sales
> pamphlets with mine and didn't want the "waxy"feel that the Phaser
> gives.As for your glossy paper,I find that you have to try a few
> brands with any printer to find the one that works best.Different
> papers work better with some printers than others.Of course since I
> own a laminating shop,as you pointed out,the 8400 was ruled out
> anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. The paper feed issue is a strange one. We bought a
Color Laserjet 3700. Our pre-printed stationary (letterheads) have an inch
of logo at the top of the paper in a glossy red print going edge-to-edge. As
soon as this paper enters the paper-path of the Laserjet 3700, the printer
flags up a paper jam. HP man came out and swapped parts, but the problem is
still there.
HP have now given us a DOA reference and agreed that it is an
incompatibility between the printer and paper.

I'd say a design flaw in the printer myself - it tries to detect the type of
paper as it enters the input path - for example it observes that it has fed
plain copier paper, but that you have set the paper-type to glossy, so it
pauses printing and asks for the correct type of paper. This obviously
doesn't work very well and goes crazy when it sees the shiny red on our
paper.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 4:43:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In message <c5ub2s$90p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
<carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes
>anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't need to
>laminate.
>
>Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems feeding our
>glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x slower in colour
>than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to be the case, and they're
>not cheap.
>
>the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm colour.
>Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they use a lot of
>black ink during the charging process.
>
>any comments on the unit?
>
I have the 8200 version and it is very good, it needs to be on all the
time, and I can just about get away with laminating buy turning the
temperature right down, I had a QMS 2200 before and the Phasers output
is much nicer with the glossiness. Out of interest which reseller are
you talking to?

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Carl Farrington wrote:
> anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't need to
> laminate.
>
> Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems feeding our
> glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x slower in colour
> than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to be the case, and they're
> not cheap.
>
> the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm colour.
> Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they use a lot of
> black ink during the charging process.
>
> any comments on the unit?
>
> thanks,
>
> Carl
>
>

We have an 860dx (free black ink so I can't pass comment on
consumables).

If not used enough it burns (discolours) the cyan ink ... roughly two
sticks of ink and 300 sheets of paper have to go through it to replace
the ink

Quality output !

BTW ... I don't know if you are considering it ... but if you can, buy
the 3 additional year warranty (ie. total of 4 years). Tomorrow I will
be calling xerox for the 2nd time in (2.5?) years

Regards
Charles

PS. They are not particularly fault prone but Xerox is the only company
I found willing to offer a 4 year warranty.

--

Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 9:03:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Timothy Lee wrote:
> In message <c5ub2s$90p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
> <carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes
>> anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't
>> need to laminate.
>>
>> Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems
>> feeding our glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x
>> slower in colour than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to
>> be the case, and they're not cheap.
>>
>> the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm
>> colour. Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they
>> use a lot of black ink during the charging process.
>>
>> any comments on the unit?
>>
> I have the 8200 version and it is very good, it needs to be on all the
> time, and I can just about get away with laminating buy turning the
> temperature right down, I had a QMS 2200 before and the Phasers output
> is much nicer with the glossiness. Out of interest which reseller are
> you talking to?

Sorry for being so slow replying. Simply Computers have the 8400B (base
model) for £575 + vat, and in stock. We might end up buying it from Dabs
though since the Colour Laserjet 3700 came from their and they will be
crediting us.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 12:50:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In message <c6e34a$qqc$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
<carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes
>
>Sorry for being so slow replying. Simply Computers have the 8400B (base
>model) for £575 + vat, and in stock. We might end up buying it from Dabs
>though since the Colour Laserjet 3700 came from their and they will be
>crediting us.

I haven't checked but you _might_ find a better price from lnl or
printware.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 1:23:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Timothy Lee wrote:
> In message <c6e34a$qqc$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
> <carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes
>>
>> Sorry for being so slow replying. Simply Computers have the 8400B
>> (base model) for £575 + vat, and in stock. We might end up buying it
>> from Dabs though since the Colour Laserjet 3700 came from their and
>> they will be crediting us.
>
> I haven't checked but you _might_ find a better price from lnl or
> printware.

hmmm. thank you very much! £530+vat from printware and £535+vat from lnl :) 
!