Xerox Phaser 8400B

anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't need to
laminate.

Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems feeding our
glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x slower in colour
than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to be the case, and they're
not cheap.

the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm colour.
Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they use a lot of
black ink during the charging process.

any comments on the unit?

thanks,

Carl
7 answers Last reply
More about xerox phaser 8400b

    The Minolta 3300 does 26 pages per minute in both color and b&w.The 8400
    costs about $1000 in the US,where my 3300 cost me $1539.Of course my 3300DN
    also has a built in duplexer,so it was not that bad.I would put this printer
    above the HP4600 anyday!I print sales pamphlets with mine and didn't want
    the "waxy"feel that the Phaser gives.As for your glossy paper,I find that
    you have to try a few brands with any printer to find the one that works
    best.Different papers work better with some printers than others.Of course
    since I own a laminating shop,as you pointed out,the 8400 was ruled out
    anyway.

    Douglas wrote:
    > The Minolta 3300 does 26 pages per minute in both color and b&w.The
    > 8400 costs about $1000 in the US,where my 3300 cost me $1539.Of
    > course my 3300DN also has a built in duplexer,so it was not that
    > bad.I would put this printer above the HP4600 anyday!I print sales
    > pamphlets with mine and didn't want the "waxy"feel that the Phaser
    > gives.As for your glossy paper,I find that you have to try a few
    > brands with any printer to find the one that works best.Different
    > papers work better with some printers than others.Of course since I
    > own a laminating shop,as you pointed out,the 8400 was ruled out
    > anyway.

    Thanks for the feedback. The paper feed issue is a strange one. We bought a
    Color Laserjet 3700. Our pre-printed stationary (letterheads) have an inch
    of logo at the top of the paper in a glossy red print going edge-to-edge. As
    soon as this paper enters the paper-path of the Laserjet 3700, the printer
    flags up a paper jam. HP man came out and swapped parts, but the problem is
    still there.
    HP have now given us a DOA reference and agreed that it is an
    incompatibility between the printer and paper.

    I'd say a design flaw in the printer myself - it tries to detect the type of
    paper as it enters the input path - for example it observes that it has fed
    plain copier paper, but that you have set the paper-type to glossy, so it
    pauses printing and asks for the correct type of paper. This obviously
    doesn't work very well and goes crazy when it sees the shiny red on our
    paper.

    In message <c5ub2s$90p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
    <carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes
    >anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't need to
    >laminate.
    >
    >Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems feeding our
    >glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x slower in colour
    >than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to be the case, and they're
    >not cheap.
    >
    >the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm colour.
    >Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they use a lot of
    >black ink during the charging process.
    >
    >any comments on the unit?

    I have the 8200 version and it is very good, it needs to be on all the
    time, and I can just about get away with laminating buy turning the
    temperature right down, I had a QMS 2200 before and the Phasers output
    is much nicer with the glossiness. Out of interest which reseller are
    you talking to?

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Carl Farrington wrote:
    > anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't need to
    > laminate.
    >
    > Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems feeding our
    > glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x slower in colour
    > than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to be the case, and they're
    > not cheap.
    >
    > the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm colour.
    > Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they use a lot of
    > black ink during the charging process.
    >
    > any comments on the unit?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Carl

    We have an 860dx (free black ink so I can't pass comment on
    consumables).

    If not used enough it burns (discolours) the cyan ink ... roughly two
    sticks of ink and 300 sheets of paper have to go through it to replace
    the ink

    Quality output !

    BTW ... I don't know if you are considering it ... but if you can, buy
    the 3 additional year warranty (ie. total of 4 years). Tomorrow I will
    be calling xerox for the 2nd time in (2.5?) years

    Regards
    Charles

    PS. They are not particularly fault prone but Xerox is the only company
    I found willing to offer a 4 year warranty.

    --

    Please remove _removeme_ to reply.

    Timothy Lee wrote:
    > In message <c5ub2s$90p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
    > <carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes
    >> anybody using one? Seems to be the best value as long as you don't
    >> need to laminate.
    >>
    >> Apart from the new crop of HP Colour Lasers (which have problems
    >> feeding our glossy headed-paper), most colour laser printers run 4x
    >> slower in colour than black, so an average of 4-6ppm colour seems to
    >> be the case, and they're not cheap.
    >>
    >> the Phaser 8400B is about £575 +vat (£675 inc.) and does 24ppm
    >> colour. Consumables are supposed to be cheaper although I hear they
    >> use a lot of black ink during the charging process.
    >>
    >> any comments on the unit?
    >>
    > I have the 8200 version and it is very good, it needs to be on all the
    > time, and I can just about get away with laminating buy turning the
    > temperature right down, I had a QMS 2200 before and the Phasers output
    > is much nicer with the glossiness. Out of interest which reseller are
    > you talking to?

    Sorry for being so slow replying. Simply Computers have the 8400B (base
    model) for £575 + vat, and in stock. We might end up buying it from Dabs
    though since the Colour Laserjet 3700 came from their and they will be
    crediting us.

    In message <c6e34a$qqc$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
    <carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes

    >Sorry for being so slow replying. Simply Computers have the 8400B (base
    >model) for £575 + vat, and in stock. We might end up buying it from Dabs
    >though since the Colour Laserjet 3700 came from their and they will be
    >crediting us.

    I haven't checked but you _might_ find a better price from lnl or
    printware.

    --

    Timothy Lee wrote:
    > In message <c6e34a$qqc$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, Carl Farrington
    > <carl@000compsup000.net.invalid> writes
    >>
    >> Sorry for being so slow replying. Simply Computers have the 8400B
    >> (base model) for £575 + vat, and in stock. We might end up buying it
    >> from Dabs though since the Colour Laserjet 3700 came from their and
    >> they will be crediting us.
    >
    > I haven't checked but you _might_ find a better price from lnl or
    > printware.

    hmmm. thank you very much! £530+vat from printware and £535+vat from lnl :)

Printers Phaser Peripherals