Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 12, 2004 4:33:03 PM

Hi:

I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink wireless
router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer Sharing
enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.

If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users from
the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and won't let me
change to the other computer.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!
December 12, 2004 10:10:00 PM

Bob wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
> wireless
> router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
> Sharing
> enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
> see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>
> If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
> from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
> won't let me change to the other computer.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
Trusted.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Hello,
I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers
in the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000
computer recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't
connect to it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Malke wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>>I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
>>wireless
>>router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
>>Sharing
>>enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
>>see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>>
>>If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
>>from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
>>won't let me change to the other computer.
>>
>>Thanks for any help you can provide!!!
>

> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
> Trusted.
>
> Malke
Related resources
December 13, 2004 4:55:20 PM

I can get to shares on the other computer by typing its address. For
example, \\192.168.0.253\SharedFolder works. Can't browse by name, and
connecting to the shared dvd drive using the IP address doesn't seem to
work.

Developer wrote:

> Hello,
> I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers
> in the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000
> computer recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't
> connect to it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions....
>
> Malke wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>

>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
>>> wireless
>>> router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
>>> Sharing
>>> enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
>>> see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>>>
>>> If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
>>> from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
>>> won't let me change to the other computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can provide!!!
>>

>> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
>> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
>> Trusted.
>>
>> Malke
December 13, 2004 5:03:00 PM

I can get to shares on the other computer by typing its address. For
example, \\192.168.0.253\SharedFolder works. Can't browse by name, and
connecting to the shared dvd drive using the IP address doesn't seem to
work. Probably the app trying to use the share can't handle the IP
address...

Developer wrote:

> Hello,
> I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers
> in the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000
> computer recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't
> connect to it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions....
>
> Malke wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>

>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
>>> wireless
>>> router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
>>> Sharing
>>> enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
>>> see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>>>
>>> If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
>>> from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
>>> won't let me change to the other computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can provide!!!
>>

>> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
>> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
>> Trusted.
>>
>> Malke
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 5:03:01 PM

Greetings,

Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...

_____________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Developer" <charles.bates@mapinfo.com> wrote in message
>I can get to shares on the other computer by typing its address. For
> example, \\192.168.0.253\SharedFolder works. Can't browse by name, and
> connecting to the shared dvd drive using the IP address doesn't seem to
> work. Probably the app trying to use the share can't handle the IP
> address...
>

> Developer wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers in
>> the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000 computer
>> recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't connect to
>> it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions....
>>
>> Malke wrote:

>>> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
>>> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
>>> Trusted.
>>>
>>> Malke
December 13, 2004 5:47:02 PM

Spoke too soon...
I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and
removed the NetWare junk), it didn't work.

Thanks for the reply.

> Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...

December 13, 2004 5:47:03 PM

You will have to make sure you remove that NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS
protocol from all of them and reboot all.. Leave netbios over tcp/ip
enabled. Then go and see if TCP/IP is bound to Client for Microsoft
Networking and Printer and Filesharing. Sounds like your bindings got
changed.
"Developer" <charles.bates@mapinfo.com> wrote in message
news:o 9eGGyU4EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Spoke too soon...
> I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
> seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and removed
> the NetWare junk), it didn't work.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

>> Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
>>
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...

December 13, 2004 7:11:04 PM

Thanks for the help, Tanya.
The laptop (WinXP Pro) can browse the shares on the desktop (Win2000
sp3). When I try to browse the network on the desktop computer, it
recognizes the workgroup, but then says it is not accessible.
Could this have something to do with my making the network settings from
an admin account, while my daily account is not in the admin group?
Thanks again...

Tanya wrote:

> You will have to make sure you remove that NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS
> protocol from all of them and reboot all.. Leave netbios over tcp/ip
> enabled. Then go and see if TCP/IP is bound to Client for Microsoft
> Networking and Printer and Filesharing. Sounds like your bindings got
> changed.
> "Developer" <charles.bates@mapinfo.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9eGGyU4EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
>>Spoke too soon...
>>I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
>>seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and removed
>>the NetWare junk), it didn't work.
>>
>>Thanks for the reply.
>>

>>>Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
>>>
>>>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...

December 13, 2004 11:38:32 PM

If you have simple filesharing disabled then go into the machine and add
your profile to permissions. Is there a $(hidden share) in the title in the
sharing and security tab? If there is maybe click on new share and rename
it. This will get everybody. Not a secure method but if it is a personal
machine your the only one browsing. Giving your profile permission would be
better.
Here is a good site to go through
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/net...
> Thanks for the help, Tanya.
> The laptop (WinXP Pro) can browse the shares on the desktop (Win2000 sp3).
> When I try to browse the network on the desktop computer, it recognizes
> the workgroup, but then says it is not accessible.
> Could this have something to do with my making the network settings from
> an admin account, while my daily account is not in the admin group?
> Thanks again...
>
> Tanya wrote:
>
>> You will have to make sure you remove that NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS
>> protocol from all of them and reboot all.. Leave netbios over tcp/ip
>> enabled. Then go and see if TCP/IP is bound to Client for Microsoft
>> Networking and Printer and Filesharing. Sounds like your bindings got
>> changed.
>> "Developer" <charles.bates@mapinfo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 9eGGyU4EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Spoke too soon...
>>>I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
>>>seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and removed
>>>the NetWare junk), it didn't work.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the reply.

December 15, 2004 10:02:09 AM

Another poster on this group (Vinay S) says that the NetWare Ipx/Spx
NetBIOS is required. When I re-installed that, the two computers can
connect to each other by name (instead of IP).

Tanya wrote:
> You will have to make sure you remove that NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS
> protocol from all of them and reboot all.. Leave netbios over tcp/ip
> enabled. Then go and see if TCP/IP is bound to Client for Microsoft
> Networking and Printer and Filesharing. Sounds like your bindings got
> changed.
> "Developer" <charles.bates@mapinfo.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9eGGyU4EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
>>Spoke too soon...
>>I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
>>seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and removed
>>the NetWare junk), it didn't work.
>>
>>Thanks for the reply.
>>

>>>Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
>>>
>>>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...

December 15, 2004 5:31:50 PM

Apparently your bindings for file and printer sharing are with Netware not
TCP/IP. My son had to use that when he wanted to Game on his LAN and was
running a proxy(don't know if a proxy mattered)
> Another poster on this group (Vinay S) says that the NetWare Ipx/Spx
> NetBIOS is required. When I re-installed that, the two computers can
> connect to each other by name (instead of IP).
>
> Tanya wrote:
>> You will have to make sure you remove that NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS
>> protocol from all of them and reboot all.. Leave netbios over tcp/ip
>> enabled. Then go and see if TCP/IP is bound to Client for Microsoft
>> Networking and Printer and Filesharing. Sounds like your bindings got
>> changed.
>> "Developer" <charles.bates@mapinfo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 9eGGyU4EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Spoke too soon...
>>>I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
>>>seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and removed
>>>the NetWare junk), it didn't work.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the reply.

December 17, 2004 12:37:04 PM

Hi Malke:

I did have identical usernames/passwords. Turns out it was my s/w firewall,
that freeware from SyGate. That firewall has a parameter in Options to allow
browsing Network Neighborhood and another parameter to allow file and print
sharing.

Thank you!
Bob

"Malke" wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
> > wireless
> > router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
> > Sharing
> > enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
> > see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
> >
> > If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
> > from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
> > won't let me change to the other computer.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide!!!
>
> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
> Trusted.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

December 17, 2004 1:20:39 PM

Bob wrote:

> Hi Malke:
>
> I did have identical usernames/passwords. Turns out it was my s/w
> firewall,
> that freeware from SyGate. That firewall has a parameter in Options
> to allow browsing Network Neighborhood and another parameter to allow
> file and print sharing.

I'm glad you got it figured out. Thanks for posting the resolution. It
will help others.

Malke
--
!