Question On MB Change and RAID 0

I'm going to change my Abit KV7 with an Asus A7V880...
I've 2 hdd configured in Raid0 mode.
If I switch motherboard, will I lose all data on disks?
I mean, changing motherboard (brand apart) implies making a new RAID
configuration on the new controller... and that would destroy all data(?)
Thanks...

Paul

Splendid

In article <DwIyc.454726$rM4.18799855@news4.tin.it>, Willy TP
<WillyTP@EMail.iT> wrote:

> I'm going to change my Abit KV7 with an Asus A7V880...
> I've 2 hdd configured in Raid0 mode.
> If I switch motherboard, will I lose all data on disks?
> I mean, changing motherboard (brand apart) implies making a new RAID
> configuration on the new controller... and that would destroy all data(?)
> Thanks...

I believe both boards use the 8237 Via Southbridge, and the
Southbridge hosts the two SATA RAID connectors. You should be
able to move the disks over to the new board, because it is the
same chip. Of course, any time you change systems, you should
have a backup image of the disk drives, in case there is a
catastrophic failure of some part of your new hardware. What
I do, is clone my old disk drive, to a new disk drive, so that
if the new system doesn't work properly, I can immediately return
to the old system with no problem. So, even though the hardware
should be compatible, you should have a backup.

ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/manual/english//KV7_Eng_V100.pdf (pg.21)
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/KT880/A7V880/e1654_a7v880.pdf (pg.16)

HTH,
Paul

If you change the motherboard in a Windows configured system, you MUST
reformat the harddrive (RAID array) and do a fresh install of Windows,
otherwise you will get ongoing nasty Registry errors.

--
DaveW