Connecting 2 pcs directly, 1=XP, other is '98 - no hub???

Sam

Hi there - I was told by a knowledgeable sounding person
in an electical accessories store that it is possible to
coonect 2 PCs directly without going through a hub. I
have never networked anything before and am pretty
inexperienced all round with PCs.

However, I would like to transfer some files from my old
PC with Win 98 to my new XP machine. I have wired thme
both up. Using a sort of miss and hit technique, I have
managed to see my old PC on the new one but cannot see
the new one on the old one. When I tried to access the
old PC from the XP one, I got an error message saying
that I didn't not have authorisation or something. Can
someone either help me with the process of doing this or
point me to a good resource on the net that may help?
MUCH APPRECIATED - Sam, London

SubZero

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

On your XP machine, make sure you are logged in as an
administrator. You can check this by going into control
panel and double clicking on "Users". Make sure you have
given "permission" to access each machine from where you
see the icon for the old machine. You will have to type
in the name you gave to the 98 machine. Make sure you
have all the updates for the 98 machine. Go to
microsoft.com or click on start--->programs--->windows
update. You will only be able to download the updates if
you do not have a pirated version of each operating
system. If you have any trouble, just email me at my
website, and I'll try to help in any way I can.
Good Luck!
Abel

XP is a more secure version of Windows. In order for a system to "see" an
XP system, the user accounts must exist on the XP. Thsi will then allow the
second system access to the XP.

"Sam" <pug205cti@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there - I was told by a knowledgeable sounding person
> in an electical accessories store that it is possible to
> coonect 2 PCs directly without going through a hub. I
> have never networked anything before and am pretty
> inexperienced all round with PCs.
>
> However, I would like to transfer some files from my old
> PC with Win 98 to my new XP machine. I have wired thme
> both up. Using a sort of miss and hit technique, I have
> managed to see my old PC on the new one but cannot see
> the new one on the old one. When I tried to access the
> old PC from the XP one, I got an error message saying
> that I didn't not have authorisation or something. Can
> someone either help me with the process of doing this or
> point me to a good resource on the net that may help?
> MUCH APPRECIATED - Sam, London

norm

Do you have the folders you want to copy from the 98 machine shared?

"Sam" <pug205cti@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there - I was told by a knowledgeable sounding person
> in an electical accessories store that it is possible to
> coonect 2 PCs directly without going through a hub. I
> have never networked anything before and am pretty
> inexperienced all round with PCs.
>
> However, I would like to transfer some files from my old
> PC with Win 98 to my new XP machine. I have wired thme
> both up. Using a sort of miss and hit technique, I have
> managed to see my old PC on the new one but cannot see
> the new one on the old one. When I tried to access the
> old PC from the XP one, I got an error message saying
> that I didn't not have authorisation or something. Can
> someone either help me with the process of doing this or
> point me to a good resource on the net that may help?
> MUCH APPRECIATED - Sam, London

papa

You were told the truth. First, purchase a Network Interface Card (NIC) for
each computer and install them physically and also install their driver
software. Next, purchase a Category 5 Crossover cable with RJ45 connectors
and connect from the NIC in one computer to the NIC in the other computer.
Finally, from your XP computer, run the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
program. Then connect to the outside world from your host computer (probably
the XP computer), using whatever type of modem (cable, DSL, or dial-up) you
have. The other computer will be the "client" computer, and it can access
the internet ONLY when the Host computer is up and running.

For more details on this and other networking questions, go to
www.practicallynetworked.com.