Asus K8V SE Deluxe - Cool and Quiet not working ? - Chassi..

HI,

just built my new system on the K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD64 3200 and 1GB
Infineon DDR 400 RAM (512 MB on Bank 1and 2). System is running fine, Temps
are between 32 and 39 C with room temp 24 C, but I´ve got two problems.

1) I cannot get CnQ working. I followed all the Instructions in the Manual.
Installed the latest Drivers. But the processorspeed never goes down even on
Idle. When I turn on the Asus CnQ Software I get >>"," is not a valid
integer value<< with about a million error windows and the program is shot
off by XP.
The one thing I didn´t do yet is updating the bios to version 1003 as I
ruined my first K8V SE Deluxe with it, as the flash went wrong and even CMOS
Clear wasn´t possible anymore. On the Asus site I cannot find any hint to
whether this is necessary to run CnQ. Any hint from you would be great as I
bought this one especially because of this feature.

2) I cannot get any signal from my chassis fan "noiseblocker silent sx1 -
120 mm". It is running fine and hooked up tp the PWR-FAN-Connector. On my
other PC I get a clear speed signal from this one. The CPU FAN Signal is
there. Are there any limitations on how fast the Fan has to spin before it
is recognized by the Mobo?

Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Addy

"news.t-online.de" <addy1969@yahoo.de> writes:
> 2) I cannot get any signal from my chassis fan "noiseblocker silent sx1 -
> 120 mm". It is running fine and hooked up tp the PWR-FAN-Connector. On my
> other PC I get a clear speed signal from this one. The CPU FAN Signal is
> there. Are there any limitations on how fast the Fan has to spin before it
> is recognized by the Mobo?

On my k8v-se-d the PS fan sensor is unreliable (at least under the
v1001 bios). It will only read intermittently. It seems that once it
reads, it will continue to read until the next reboot. Before
that nothing.

This was observed under both Netbsd and Openbsd. If I run mbmon (a
motherboard temp/voltage/fan speed monitoring program) I see no RPM
for the first few redisplay cycles. Then all of a sudden after a few
seconds the PS fan speed appears. Even if a use other programs to
view the speeed, it then remains visible. Perhaps there is something
in the sensor chip's initialisation that the bios doesn't do correctly
but some other programs do.

What is interesting is when I go into the bios to the HW monitor page
I see much the same behavior; the first redisplay or two shows no fan
rpm for the PS fan.

-wolfgang
New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

Addy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003

Hi Wolfgang,

This behaviour might come from the QFAN feature. When I turned this on, the
CPU Cooler stopped totally and only started working again when the CPU Temp
reached 52 C.
Checking the Temp with both AsusProbe and MBM5 it seems the that AsusProbe
gets the signal a bit faster or this comes from the checking interval.
Otherwise the CPU Fan Signal is allways there. Fan running at about 2500
RPM.

Did you upgrade to BIOS 1003. I couldn´t find any hint to what this might
bring other than new CPU support.

Addy

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<wolfgang+gnus20040613T082717@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:x74qpfo4d0.fsf@bonnet.wsrcc.com...

"Addy" <addy1969@yahoo.de> writes:
> This behaviour might come from the QFAN feature. When I turned this on, the
> CPU Cooler stopped totally and only started working again when the CPU Temp
> reached 52 C.
> Checking the Temp with both AsusProbe and MBM5 it seems the that AsusProbe
> gets the signal a bit faster or this comes from the checking interval.
> Otherwise the CPU Fan Signal is allways there. Fan running at about 2500
> RPM.

Hi Addy,

Oh yes, I did notice the QFAN strangeness and/or bug. Scared the piss
out of me when I went into the Bios and saw how hot the CPU was. I
figured I'd just cooked my cpu. I turned it off again figuring
something was amiss. I really wish Asus would let one set the
temperature where the fan would be up to a certain RPM. My choice
would be in the 38-40 degree range for the fan being up to speed.

> Did you upgrade to BIOS 1003. I couldn´t find any hint to what this might
> bring other than new CPU support.

Well, I did download it, but never did find that DOS formatted floppy
I keep around for just such an emergency. (The joys or running an
"alternate", non-MS OS, I guess.) Waiting a bit may have worked out
well for me, seeing how your flashing went badly.

Did you ever figure out what caused the bad flash? I really don't
want to turn my computer into a paperweight.

wolfgang wrote:

> Well, I did download it, but never did find that DOS formatted floppy
> I keep around for just such an emergency. (The joys or running an
> "alternate", non-MS OS, I guess.) Waiting a bit may have worked out
> well for me, seeing how your flashing went badly.

Well I can´t complain about MS until now. But I´d gladly switch to Linux if
could be sure
there was good software for video processing. As this is only starting, I´ll
have to wait a bit.

> Did you ever figure out what caused the bad flash? I really don't
> want to turn my computer into a paperweight.

No I didn´t. It just stopped after erasing bios an said. "Bios flashing
failed". After that, I tried everything to revive it, but I had no luck
other than the online-shop where I bought it changed it for a new one. They
said I wasn´t the first one with this board.

Addy

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<wolfgang+gnus20040613T085727@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:x7vfhvmodg.fsf@bonnet.wsrcc.com...

> "Addy" <addy1969@yahoo.de> writes:
> > This behaviour might come from the QFAN feature. When I turned this on,
the
> > CPU Cooler stopped totally and only started working again when the CPU
Temp
> > reached 52 C.
> > Checking the Temp with both AsusProbe and MBM5 it seems the that
AsusProbe
> > gets the signal a bit faster or this comes from the checking interval.
> > Otherwise the CPU Fan Signal is allways there. Fan running at about 2500
> > RPM.
>
> Hi Addy,
>
> Oh yes, I did notice the QFAN strangeness and/or bug. Scared the piss
> out of me when I went into the Bios and saw how hot the CPU was. I
> figured I'd just cooked my cpu. I turned it off again figuring
> something was amiss. I really wish Asus would let one set the
> temperature where the fan would be up to a certain RPM. My choice
> would be in the 38-40 degree range for the fan being up to speed.
>
> > Did you upgrade to BIOS 1003. I couldn´t find any hint to what this
might
> > bring other than new CPU support.
>
> Well, I did download it, but never did find that DOS formatted floppy
> I keep around for just such an emergency. (The joys or running an
> "alternate", non-MS OS, I guess.) Waiting a bit may have worked out
> well for me, seeing how your flashing went badly.
>
> Did you ever figure out what caused the bad flash? I really don't
> want to turn my computer into a paperweight.
>
> -wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
> New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
> http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Does your PS fan autoadjust to temp ? Mine does and runs so slow
normally that it doesn't register in some monitor programs. It's
running about 1200-1300 according to PCwizard2004 although it's
confused and thinks it's my cpu fan ;)

Doesn't show up in my other programs.

Hook up a variable speed fan to your header and play with it.

john <john@nospam.com> writes:
> Does your PS fan autoadjust to temp ? Mine does and runs so slow
> normally that it doesn't register in some monitor programs. It's
> running about 1200-1300 according to PCwizard2004 although it's
> confused and thinks it's my cpu fan ;)
>
> Doesn't show up in my other programs.
>
> Hook up a variable speed fan to your header and play with it.

I think you are right. This is an Antec Sonata case and the PS fan is
a very slow 1300 RPM.

I think I will experiment and try it with a faster fan plugged in just
as a test.