STRANGE NOTIFICATION

i just reformatted my HD and installed windows XP. i
have a wireless network adapter plugged into my 1st USB
port. a notification appears on my taskbar next to the
clock whenever this network adapter is plugged into my
USB port. the notification looks like a green arrow next
to some generic piece of hardware. when i right click on
the notification the only option i'm given reads: "safely
remove hardware". when i click on that a window pops up
giving me the option to disable my network adapter so
that it can be safely removed. the problem is--i don't
want to remove it!

can anyone tell me why XP all of a sudden thinks i want
to remove my USB hardware? furthermore, can anyone tell
me how to get rid of this pesky little notification?

thank you so much for your help-matt

Matt;
You got it wrong.
It is not that Windows thinks you want to remove the hardware.
It is there so you can click it to prepare Windows to remove the
hardware.
Even though USB is hot swappable, there is still some preparation that
Windows should do to prepare for disconnection.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

matt crowe wrote:
> i just reformatted my HD and installed windows XP. i
> have a wireless network adapter plugged into my 1st USB
> port. a notification appears on my taskbar next to the
> clock whenever this network adapter is plugged into my
> USB port. the notification looks like a green arrow next
> to some generic piece of hardware. when i right click on
> the notification the only option i'm given reads: "safely
> remove hardware". when i click on that a window pops up
> giving me the option to disable my network adapter so
> that it can be safely removed. the problem is--i don't
> want to remove it!
>
> can anyone tell me why XP all of a sudden thinks i want
> to remove my USB hardware? furthermore, can anyone tell
> me how to get rid of this pesky little notification?
>
> thank you so much for your help-matt

XP does that. If you have something plugged into USB, it tells you about
it. Printers included, NICs included, removable hard drives too.

You cannot get "rid of" this, but you can set it to always hide.

--
<- Shenan ->

Click on Start, Settings, Taskbar & Start Menu, check the
box marked Hide Inactive Icons, hit Customize and you'll
get an option to hide it . . . or you could just ignore it
as it's not hurting anything . . . Good Luck !