  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 23, 2005 5:49:39 AM

Thinking of starting to play CS. Have not tested that or HL before. Is it
possible to play single-player in CS force (to train with before i am
getting online) or must a get CS condition zero?
/Krakel

More about : single player force

March 23, 2005 1:58:33 PM

On 23 Mar 2005 02:49:39 -0800, hnausta@hotmail.com (Krakel Spek)
wrote:

>Thinking of starting to play CS. Have not tested that or HL before. Is it
>possible to play single-player in CS force (to train with before i am
>getting online) or must a get CS condition zero?

If you mean CS:Source, then it has good bot support built in so you
can practice it offline.
March 23, 2005 6:18:28 PM

what is "... good bot .." ?

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> skrev i meddelandet
news:p ri241ddp586pai52d34r848pi1o3fjevq@4ax.com...
> On 23 Mar 2005 02:49:39 -0800, hnausta@hotmail.com (Krakel Spek)
> wrote:
>
>>Thinking of starting to play CS. Have not tested that or HL before. Is it
>>possible to play single-player in CS force (to train with before i am
>>getting online) or must a get CS condition zero?
>
> If you mean CS:Source, then it has good bot support built in so you
> can practice it offline.
March 23, 2005 6:18:29 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:18:28 +0100, "krakel" <krakel@spektakel.csd>
top posted:

>what is "... good bot .." ?

A bot is a computer controlled player. A good bot is one that acts
reasonably intelligently and is fun to play with/against.
March 23, 2005 11:59:42 PM

Just take the plunge my friend... find a server with a small player limit or
a quiet server and just try your luck, it is fun and you occasionally find
someone willing to watch your back and guide you whilst you improve your
skills and learn the maps....

"Krakel Spek" <hnausta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thinking of starting to play CS. Have not tested that or HL before. Is it
> possible to play single-player in CS force (to train with before i am
> getting online) or must a get CS condition zero?
> /Krakel
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 7:38:48 AM

"Reaps" <rumppole@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<2Nk0e.125177$y25.82073@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> Just take the plunge my friend... find a server with a small player limit or
> a quiet server and just try your luck, it is fun and you occasionally find
> someone willing to watch your back and guide you whilst you improve your
> skills and learn the maps....

First of all I wish to thank all for answers, it is not all times that
a newbie get kind answers. So now I am willing to take my chances with
some more quests; is there a great site where I can read how to begin
from scratch? Suppose that somebody wants to download the game
through, for instance DC++ (or oDC), then two major questions shows
up; the biggest CS:source-files has an extension of .gcf , what is
that? And a person could understand the so called STEAM play an
important role in this matter, what is steam? Is steam inside
"game-CD"?
I do not want to embarrass myself before some training, that's why,
all the single-player quests. /K
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:03:30 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:56:04 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:18:28 +0100, "krakel" <krakel@spektakel.csd>
>top posted:
>
>>what is "... good bot .." ?
>
>A bot is a computer controlled player. A good bot is one that acts
>reasonably intelligently and is fun to play with/against.

Got any 'good bot' programs to recommend?

thx,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com
March 24, 2005 5:18:49 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:03:30 -0500, The Real Tom <Tom @
www.Love-Calculators.com&gt; wrote:

>Got any 'good bot' programs to recommend?

As I said, bots are included with CS:Source.
March 24, 2005 5:18:50 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:18:49 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:03:30 -0500, The Real Tom <Tom @
>www.Love-Calculators.com&gt; wrote:
>
>>Got any 'good bot' programs to recommend?
>
>As I said, bots are included with CS:Source.

My bad, I read "good bot support" as meaning setup, and management,
not the actual bots.

thanks!

Tom
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:28:55 PM

> First of all I wish to thank all for answers, it is not all times that
> a newbie get kind answers. So now I am willing to take my chances with
> some more quests; is there a great site where I can read how to begin
> from scratch?

The best thing to do is just play, there is no better way to learn than to just
do it. However play Half-Life 2 first to get used to how the engine handles and
also read the included manual.

> Suppose that somebody wants to download the game
> through, for instance DC++ (or oDC), then two major questions shows
> up; the biggest CS:source-files has an extension of .gcf , what is
> that?

You can't download it through anything like that unless you plan on stealing a
copy of the game in which case you will get no further help from this newsgroup
and if the universe has any justice in it you would get a nasty disease too.

a gcf is a game content file and is an archive containing all the needed bits
for a steam based game.

>And a person could understand the so called STEAM play an
> important role in this matter, what is steam? Is steam inside
> "game-CD"?

Steam is a software delivery platform, server browser, chat program and
authentication system (see www.steampowered.com) it is required to run
Counter-Strike Source along with all current games made by valve.

If you buy Half-Life 2 on CD/DVD then steam will be installed along with the
games.

If you want to buy Half-Life 2 online and download it then you need to download
and install steam first and sign up for an account. Do this at
www.steampowered.com

I would recommend buying the game online through steam rather than retail in a
store

> I do not want to embarrass myself before some training, that's why,
> all the single-player quests

Even the best players get humiliated in online play from time to time, don't
worry, just have fun and don't listen to anyone who calls you a n00b.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:28:56 PM

"DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<apqdneZR0MtFm97fRVnyhg@eclipse.net.uk>...
> "Krakel Spek" <hnausta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > First of all I wish to thank all for answers, it is not all times that
> > a newbie get kind answers. So now I am willing to take my chances with
> > some more quests; is there a great site where I can read how to begin
> > from scratch?
>
> The best thing to do is just play, there is no better way to learn than to just
> do it. However play Half-Life 2 first to get used to how the engine handles and
> also read the included manual.
>
> > Suppose that somebody wants to download the game
> > through, for instance DC++ (or oDC), then two major questions shows
> > up; the biggest CS:source-files has an extension of .gcf , what is
> > that?
>
> You can't download it through anything like that unless you plan on stealing a
> copy of the game in which case you will get no further help from this newsgroup
> and if the universe has any justice in it you would get a nasty disease too.
>
> a gcf is a game content file and is an archive containing all the needed bits
> for a steam based game.
>
> >And a person could understand the so called STEAM play an
> > important role in this matter, what is steam? Is steam inside
> > "game-CD"?
>
> Steam is a software delivery platform, server browser, chat program and
> authentication system (see www.steampowered.com) it is required to run
> Counter-Strike Source along with all current games made by valve.
>
> If you buy Half-Life 2 on CD/DVD then steam will be installed along with the
> games.
>
> If you want to buy Half-Life 2 online and download it then you need to download
> and install steam first and sign up for an account. Do this at
> www.steampowered.com
>
> I would recommend buying the game online through steam rather than retail in a
> store
>
> > I do not want to embarrass myself before some training, that's why,
> > all the single-player quests
>
> Even the best players get humiliated in online play from time to time, don't
> worry, just have fun and don't listen to anyone who calls you a n00b.

Why is it, that many people always reefers to Half-Life when talking
about CS, is it the same or? I can understand that ‘n00b' could easily
reefers to any newbie's…or? Finally; what does U all think about the
upcoming "Day of Defeat"? (Personally I'll think it could be great,
especially since I have been a fan of "Hidden&Dangerous").
BR/K
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:28:56 PM

"DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<apqdneZR0MtFm97fRVnyhg@eclipse.net.uk>...
> "Krakel Spek" <hnausta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > First of all I wish to thank all for answers, it is not all times that
> > a newbie get kind answers. So now I am willing to take my chances with
> > some more quests; is there a great site where I can read how to begin
> > from scratch?
>
> The best thing to do is just play, there is no better way to learn than to just
> do it. However play Half-Life 2 first to get used to how the engine handles and
> also read the included manual.
>
> > Suppose that somebody wants to download the game
> > through, for instance DC++ (or oDC), then two major questions shows
> > up; the biggest CS:source-files has an extension of .gcf , what is
> > that?
>
> You can't download it through anything like that unless you plan on stealing a
> copy of the game in which case you will get no further help from this newsgroup
> and if the universe has any justice in it you would get a nasty disease too.
>
> a gcf is a game content file and is an archive containing all the needed bits
> for a steam based game.
>
> >And a person could understand the so called STEAM play an
> > important role in this matter, what is steam? Is steam inside
> > "game-CD"?
>
> Steam is a software delivery platform, server browser, chat program and
> authentication system (see www.steampowered.com) it is required to run
> Counter-Strike Source along with all current games made by valve.
>
> If you buy Half-Life 2 on CD/DVD then steam will be installed along with the
> games.
>
> If you want to buy Half-Life 2 online and download it then you need to download
> and install steam first and sign up for an account. Do this at
> www.steampowered.com
>
> I would recommend buying the game online through steam rather than retail in a
> store
>
> > I do not want to embarrass myself before some training, that's why,
> > all the single-player quests
>
> Even the best players get humiliated in online play from time to time, don't
> worry, just have fun and don't listen to anyone who calls you a n00b.

Why is it, that many people always reefers to Half-Life when talking
about CS, is it the same or? I can understand that ?n00b' could easily
reefers to any newbie's?or? Finally; what does U all think about the
upcoming "Day of Defeat"? (Personally I'll think it could be great,
especially since I have been a fan of "Hidden&Dangerous").
BR/K
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:42:56 AM

> Why is it, that many people always reefers to Half-Life when talking
> about CS, is it the same or?

CS (the original one) is a mod for the original half-life and CS:Source is part
half-life 2 even though they are separate games they belong together.

> Finally; what does U all think about the
> upcoming "Day of Defeat"? (Personally I'll think it could be great,

The Original day of defeat for Half-life 1 is great and porting it over to the
source engine should make it wonderful.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:23:33 PM

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message news:<jp0341tt0nk2c19c54fb1al6pd5uklpfoh@4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:18:28 +0100, "krakel" <krakel@spektakel.csd>
> top posted:
>
> >what is "... good bot .." ?
>
> A bot is a computer controlled player. A good bot is one that acts
> reasonably intelligently and is fun to play with/against.

And how do I do to start it? (some 'bot'-player) (is it some command
in the console? or? I must say that I feel like an idiot to ask the
obvious questions to u, but this game seems to be the game for me.
I tried first to start one server and the game starts perpectly but I
dont seems to have anyone to play against. And id I connect to a other
already started server, I always get some answer like : "The server is
using a newer protocol (7) than your client", so in the end I end up
all alone.....
And since I have already this window open; how can I find out what
patches I need? Or must I first find out what version I have? If so,
how do I do that?
Or in very short:
How can I do to find anyone to play against?
/BR
April 4, 2005 12:53:47 AM

On 3 Apr 2005 13:23:33 -0700, hnausta@hotmail.com (Krakel Spek) wrote:

>And how do I do to start it? (some 'bot'-player) (is it some command
>in the console?

Click Create Server, then tick the options about including CPU players
(bots), and tell it include 9 bots.
April 18, 2005 7:18:27 PM

Just look at the frag counts and follow the person on your team with the
most frags. Obviously he's a die hard player and you can learn something by
trailing him.

Running around the map by your self = dumb = dead. CS is a team game and
you'll need someone to cover your back as you do the same for others. If no
one's got your back, you'll end up taking one from behind.

!