Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will I See Noticeable Performance Boost In This Upgrade??

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2004 6:35:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

Hi All,

I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?

Thanks.
June 14, 2004 11:36:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

You'll still have an antique :>)

"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
news:a967f5b9.0406141335.298982bf@posting.google.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
> matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
> 1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
> and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
> chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 2:41:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In message <a967f5b9.0406141335.298982bf@posting.google.com>, Robert
Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net> writes
>I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
>matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
>1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
>and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
>chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?

Depends what you use it for

--
__________________________________________________
Personal email for Gareth Jones can be sent to:
'usenet4gareth' followed by an at symbol
followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
__________________________________________________
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 2:41:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

The processor upgrade will definitely help, but the memory
upgrade from 512MB to 1GB is problematical. Unless
you do things like editing large video or picture files it won't help
at all. However, I don't game. Perhaps the best test is do you
end up using virtual memory a lot or not.

"Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:2vQO+5E4thzAFwWc@nospam.demon.co.uk...
> In message <a967f5b9.0406141335.298982bf@posting.google.com>, Robert
> Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net> writes
> >I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
> >matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
> >1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
> >and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
> >chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance
increase?
>
> Depends what you use it for
>
> --
> __________________________________________________
> Personal email for Gareth Jones can be sent to:
> 'usenet4gareth' followed by an at symbol
> followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
> followed by 'net'
> __________________________________________________
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 3:08:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

It will not be a night and day difference, but you will see an increase in
performance. By the way, you didn't say which OS you are using. Just in
case, you know that Win 98 and Win98SE CANNOT use more than 512MB of RAM.
Otherwise you get system conflicts and freezes.

--
DaveW



"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
news:a967f5b9.0406141335.298982bf@posting.google.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
> matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
> 1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
> and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
> chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
>
> Thanks.
June 15, 2004 3:08:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:08:00 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>It will not be a night and day difference, but you will see an increase in
>performance. By the way, you didn't say which OS you are using. Just in
>case, you know that Win 98 and Win98SE CANNOT use more than 512MB of RAM.
>Otherwise you get system conflicts and freezes.

I don't know how much credibility one should give to someone who makes
such an obvious error. I (and many more people) regularly run Win 98SE
with more than 512 MB of RAM without any problems at all.

Charlie Hoffpauir
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 4:05:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Robert Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
> matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
> 1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
> and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
> chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?

If the OS is Win XP, you might have to rinstall. I fought with
this pice of trash for 3 days until it worked again after an
upgrade from an Athlon XP 2200 to 3000. Aparently it forgets
all installed drivers (or something like it), if the CPU is
changed.

Arno
--
For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 4:05:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In article <2j6sqdFtpa69U1@uni-berlin.de>, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Robert Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>
>> I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
>> matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
>> 1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
>> and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
>> chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
>
>If the OS is Win XP, you might have to rinstall. I fought with
>this pice of trash for 3 days until it worked again after an
>upgrade from an Athlon XP 2200 to 3000. Aparently it forgets
>all installed drivers (or something like it), if the CPU is
>changed.
>

If it's an OEM copy of XP you'll have to buy a new copy if you change
the mobo, I'm told.



--
Al Dykes
-----------
adykes at p a n i x . c o m
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 4:05:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

Al Dykes wrote:
> In article <2j6sqdFtpa69U1@uni-berlin.de>, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Robert Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>
>>>I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
>>>matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
>>>1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
>>>and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
>>>chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
>>
>>If the OS is Win XP, you might have to rinstall. I fought with
>>this pice of trash for 3 days until it worked again after an
>>upgrade from an Athlon XP 2200 to 3000. Aparently it forgets
>>all installed drivers (or something like it), if the CPU is
>>changed.
>>
>
>
> If it's an OEM copy of XP you'll have to buy a new copy if you change
> the mobo, I'm told.
>

You were told wrong. You just have to call MicroSoft for
a new product activation code.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 6:06:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
news:a967f5b9.0406141904.d2d62eb@posting.google.com...
|
| Sorry, I should have mentioned my apps. Primarily, I'll be
| programming (Java/Eclipse, C/Visual Studio, Dreamweaver MX, ),
online
| gaming (UT2004) and lots of downloading (McAfee updates, AntiSpam,
| etc). Some Photoshop. But not really much.

AHA. The extra memory is pretty much essential with UT2k4 for smooth
game play. When I had a mere 512 meg of ram, I saw glitches with
ut2k4, but now with 1 gig of ram, no more glitches.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 10:47:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

"JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<G9GdnVLaj40Qq1PdRVn-gQ@giganews.com>...
> You'll still have an antique :>)
>
> "Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
> news:a967f5b9.0406141335.298982bf@posting.google.com...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
> > matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
> > 1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
> > and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
> > chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
> >
> > Thanks.

Yeah, I know. But, for now, this is what I have to work with. I'd
love to build a new system. But, cash is tight right now.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 11:05:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2j6sqdFtpa69U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Robert Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote:
>
> If the OS is Win XP, you might have to rinstall. I fought with
> this pice of trash for 3 days until it worked again after an
> upgrade from an Athlon XP 2200 to 3000. Aparently it forgets
> all installed drivers (or something like it), if the CPU is
> changed.
>
> Arno

The OS is indeed Win XP Pro. I hope I don't have to reinstall XP to
merely change the CPU. I just got through upgrading to XP Pro and
reinstalling all my apps! Having to reinstall for a motherboard
change makes sense. Different main boards may use different chip sets
and other hardware which means different drivers. Hopefully it'll be
just a matter of calling M$ for an activation code.
June 15, 2004 1:38:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote in message
news:10csntod70nupb1@corp.supernews.com...
> Al Dykes wrote:
> > In article <2j6sqdFtpa69U1@uni-berlin.de>, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net>
wrote:
> >
> >>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Robert Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net>
wrote:
> >>
> >>>Hi All,
> >>
> >>>I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
> >>>matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
> >>>1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
> >>>and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
> >>>chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
> >>
> >>If the OS is Win XP, you might have to rinstall. I fought with
> >>this pice of trash for 3 days until it worked again after an
> >>upgrade from an Athlon XP 2200 to 3000. Aparently it forgets
> >>all installed drivers (or something like it), if the CPU is
> >>changed.
> >>
> >
> >
> > If it's an OEM copy of XP you'll have to buy a new copy if you change
> > the mobo, I'm told.
> >
>
> You were told wrong. You just have to call MicroSoft for
> a new product activation code.

Really?, I doubt that work with my Dell OEM copy of XP Home....
June 15, 2004 1:38:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:38:43 +0100, "Phil"
<pjharding____24@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>> > If it's an OEM copy of XP you'll have to buy a new copy if you change
>> > the mobo, I'm told.
>> >
>>
>> You were told wrong. You just have to call MicroSoft for
>> a new product activation code.
>
>Really?, I doubt that work with my Dell OEM copy of XP Home....
>

What makes you think that it wouldn't work? Try, you might be
pleasantly surprised. Of course, the agent will question you to see if
you're trying to install your copy on a "second" computer. But if you
simply explain that the MB was replaced, and that otherwise it is the
same computer, you should get the activation code.

Charlie Hoffpauir
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 3:47:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In article <10csntod70nupb1@corp.supernews.com>, rob.stow@sasktel.net
says...
> Al Dykes wrote:
> > In article <2j6sqdFtpa69U1@uni-berlin.de>, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
[snip]
> >
> > If it's an OEM copy of XP you'll have to buy a new copy if you change
> > the mobo, I'm told.
> >
> You were told wrong. You just have to call MicroSoft for
> a new product activation code.

OEM copies are licenses to the machine and may include install code that
checks the BIOS to ensure that the board is still the OEM board that the
vendor provided.

In many instances the OEM copy is licenses to the vendor since the
vendor is the one providing technical support for the system/OS, that's
the reason for the price break on it. If you change the board, unless it
was a OEM purchase with "hardware" then you may be unable to reinstall
or get a new key from MS.

You can purchase OEM software/OS with a purchase of a new drive and/or
motherboard in most cases. Windows XP Prof is about $140 OEM, Office
2003 SBE is about $230 OEM.

--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 3:50:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In article <a967f5b9.0406141904.d2d62eb@posting.google.com>,
rnurse@cudbytech.net says...
> Sorry, I should have mentioned my apps. Primarily, I'll be
> programming (Java/Eclipse, C/Visual Studio, Dreamweaver MX, ), online
> gaming (UT2004) and lots of downloading (McAfee updates, AntiSpam,
> etc). Some Photoshop. But not really much.

Any graphics editing app will appreciate more RAM, 512MB is the min I
would use with PhotoShop - 2GB and Dual P4's runs very nice when doing
large images :) 

As for the rest, you won't get much benefit of having more than 512MB
from any of them - not even a game. Games benefit from FAST video cards
and load faster from FAST (high RPM) hard drives. In a properly
configured XP Prof. system, at idle it should be using about 110MB of
RAM, with UT or CS (games) loaded it might hit 400MB as it caches maps
and other objects, but it will only chache that high if you have that
much RAM.

With W98SE, just dump it, get a better OS.


--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
June 15, 2004 5:06:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Charlie wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:08:00 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>
>
>>It will not be a night and day difference, but you will see an increase in
>>performance. By the way, you didn't say which OS you are using. Just in
>>case, you know that Win 98 and Win98SE CANNOT use more than 512MB of RAM.
>>Otherwise you get system conflicts and freezes.
>
>
> I don't know how much credibility one should give to someone who makes
> such an obvious error. I (and many more people) regularly run Win 98SE
> with more than 512 MB of RAM without any problems at all.
>
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

It's just the OS was never designed to take advantage of that much RAM,
not that it dosn't work, it just isn't used optimaly. But then who back
then ran a Win9X OS with 512M RAM or more? more than likely they would
have been using Windows NT or 0S/2. Hence why the programmers didn't
take the time to optimise the OS, it wasn't ever thought people would
need 512M or more with Win9X.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 5:06:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Minotaur" <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40ce66eb$0$8071$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
| Charlie wrote:
| > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:08:00 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
| >
| >
| >>It will not be a night and day difference, but you will see an
increase in
| >>performance. By the way, you didn't say which OS you are using.
Just in
| >>case, you know that Win 98 and Win98SE CANNOT use more than 512MB
of RAM.
| >>Otherwise you get system conflicts and freezes.
| >
| >
| > I don't know how much credibility one should give to someone who
makes
| > such an obvious error. I (and many more people) regularly run Win
98SE
| > with more than 512 MB of RAM without any problems at all.
| >
| > Charlie Hoffpauir
| > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
|
| It's just the OS was never designed to take advantage of that much
RAM,
| not that it dosn't work, it just isn't used optimaly. But then who
back
| then ran a Win9X OS with 512M RAM or more? more than likely they
would
| have been using Windows NT or 0S/2. Hence why the programmers didn't
| take the time to optimise the OS, it wasn't ever thought people
would
| need 512M or more with Win9X.


win98(se) uses all the ram you got. The problem that crops up is with
the code handling the vcache HD caching subsystem. One need only use
the vcache limit fix to overcome this minor annoyance with win98(se).
--
Best regards,
Kyle
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 5:27:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <ktrtc0h9eo9hk7qmtp6d7faruplrka64eo@4ax.com>,
invalid@invalid.com says...
> What makes you think that it wouldn't work? Try, you might be
> pleasantly surprised. Of course, the agent will question you to see if
> you're trying to install your copy on a "second" computer. But if you
> simply explain that the MB was replaced, and that otherwise it is the
> same computer, you should get the activation code.

In a lot of cases you will get a support/call rep that will just go
ahead and let you install it, but, if you get one that sticks with the
rules, a Dell or Gateway (or other named OEM) version is only
installable on the named OEM's system - they get a price break for
providing support and if the motherboard is no longer in the system they
are not going to support it - so it's not a legit install any more.

--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 6:09:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In article <a967f5b9.0406150605.3414d1a0@posting.google.com>,
rnurse@cudbytech.net says...
> Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2j6sqdFtpa69U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Robert Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote:
> >
> > If the OS is Win XP, you might have to rinstall. I fought with
> > this pice of trash for 3 days until it worked again after an
> > upgrade from an Athlon XP 2200 to 3000. Aparently it forgets
> > all installed drivers (or something like it), if the CPU is
> > changed.
> >
> > Arno
>
> The OS is indeed Win XP Pro. I hope I don't have to reinstall XP to
> merely change the CPU. I just got through upgrading to XP Pro and
> reinstalling all my apps! Having to reinstall for a motherboard
> change makes sense. Different main boards may use different chip sets
> and other hardware which means different drivers. Hopefully it'll be
> just a matter of calling M$ for an activation code.

The reactivation thing is based on a points scale - you can generally
change one or two items in the computer before it invalidates your
activation. Changing the CPU should not trigger it. Change the CPU, Hard
Drive, and the Network/Video card and it will.

--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
June 15, 2004 6:44:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

My advice is keep what you have now. Save your money until you can
afford a new system. Spending $200 on this upgrade is a poor return on
your investment.

Robert Nurse wrote:
> "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<G9GdnVLaj40Qq1PdRVn-gQ@giganews.com>...
>
>>You'll still have an antique :>)
>>
>>"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
>>news:a967f5b9.0406141335.298982bf@posting.google.com...
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
>>>matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
>>>1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
>>>and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
>>>chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>
>
> Yeah, I know. But, for now, this is what I have to work with. I'd
> love to build a new system. But, cash is tight right now.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 7:11:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
news:a967f5b9.0406150605.3414d1a0@posting.google.com...
> Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:<2j6sqdFtpa69U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Robert Nurse <rnurse@cudbytech.net>
wrote:
> >
> > If the OS is Win XP, you might have to rinstall. I fought with
> > this pice of trash for 3 days until it worked again after an
> > upgrade from an Athlon XP 2200 to 3000. Aparently it forgets
> > all installed drivers (or something like it), if the CPU is
> > changed.
> >
> > Arno
>
> The OS is indeed Win XP Pro. I hope I don't have to reinstall XP to
> merely change the CPU. I just got through upgrading to XP Pro and
> reinstalling all my apps! Having to reinstall for a motherboard
> change makes sense. Different main boards may use different chip sets
> and other hardware which means different drivers. Hopefully it'll be
> just a matter of calling M$ for an activation code.

I changed my CPU a few weeks ago - no re-activation of Windows XP Pro was
needed.
--
Doug Ramage
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 7:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

>
> I'm considering upgrading my PC running an ASUS A7V/Athlon 850 to a
> matching 1.3GHz or 1.4GHz Athlon processor and doubling the RAM to
> 1GB. This upgrade will cost me about $200. This will be far cheaper
> and less time consuming (no OS/apps reinstall) than a new mainboard,
> chip and memory. Will I really see a noticeable performance increase?
>

I would certainly change the CPU, it does improve things and you will notice
it. If you want to do the memory route at this time check on ebay for some
secondhand DIMMS, remember that any upgrade in processor beyond the 1.4 will
require a new motherboard and you will probably need to buy new memory too,
so any you get now may be discarded quite soon.

Be aware that the A7V has a 100 FSB when buying your processor.

Many older motherboards are limited to a maximum 1.4GHz Athlon so you may
find that a secondhand 1.4 will be quite expensive, go instead for a 1.3GHz
for about a quarter of the price.

My A7V needed a BIOS update to recognise the CPU properly, it mis-reported
it as a 1266MHz instead of 1300MHz when it was first installed.

Good luck

Adam S
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 8:20:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In message <MPG.1b38acbeab026ecf98a62c@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
Leythos <void@nowhere.com> writes
>Any graphics editing app will appreciate more RAM, 512MB is the min I
>would use with PhotoShop - 2GB and Dual P4's runs very nice when doing
>large images :) 

Yes...... Much in the same way that you need a Ferrari to nip down to
the corner shop ;-)

--
__________________________________________________
Personal email for Gareth Jones can be sent to:
'usenet4gareth' followed by an at symbol
followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
__________________________________________________
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 8:20:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In article <Qe1XisAuOxzAFwwT@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk says...
> In message <MPG.1b38acbeab026ecf98a62c@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
> Leythos <void@nowhere.com> writes
> >Any graphics editing app will appreciate more RAM, 512MB is the min I
> >would use with PhotoShop - 2GB and Dual P4's runs very nice when doing
> >large images :) 
>
> Yes...... Much in the same way that you need a Ferrari to nip down to
> the corner shop ;-)

Ah, but using your analogy, if you were racing you would want the
Ferrari, and PhotoShop is like owning a Ferrari when it comes to
Graphics. If you are running PhotoShop, you NEED RAM - no questions
about it, RAM, RAM, more RAM. PS is RAM hungry on any platform. Adobe
suggests 5 times the image size for Available Memory when working with
PhotoShop. Some of the images I edit are in the 140MB range, some
larger, a lot are smaller.

I know he's not going to get a Dual P4, but you can get a Dual Xeon with
1GB of ram for about $1000 (motherboard, Dual Xeon's, 1GB RAM), a lot
cheaper than it use to be.

--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 9:23:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In message <MPG.1b38e0cb44099caa98a634@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
Leythos <void@nowhere.com> writes
>> >Any graphics editing app will appreciate more RAM, 512MB is the min I
>> >would use with PhotoShop - 2GB and Dual P4's runs very nice when doing
>> >large images :) 
>>
>> Yes...... Much in the same way that you need a Ferrari to nip down to
>> the corner shop ;-)
>
>Ah, but using your analogy, if you were racing you would want the
>Ferrari, and PhotoShop is like owning a Ferrari when it comes to
>Graphics. If you are running PhotoShop, you NEED RAM - no questions
>about it, RAM, RAM, more RAM.

Yes and no.
Yes you need enough RAM for the Job
No, you don't need any more than that.

For a normal person using Photoshop, your suggestion is inappropriate.

--
__________________________________________________
Personal email for Gareth Jones can be sent to:
'usenet4gareth' followed by an at symbol
followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
__________________________________________________
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2004 11:45:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In article <acZ1iXEeKyzAFwAl@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk says...
> >Ah, but using your analogy, if you were racing you would want the
> >Ferrari, and PhotoShop is like owning a Ferrari when it comes to
> >Graphics. If you are running PhotoShop, you NEED RAM - no questions
> >about it, RAM, RAM, more RAM.
>
> Yes and no.
> Yes you need enough RAM for the Job
> No, you don't need any more than that.
>
> For a normal person using Photoshop, your suggestion is inappropriate.

What do you consider "Normal Person"? It appeared as though the OP was
into some form of graphics design - from the list of apps - or just web
development. Sure, the Dual Xeon is overkill for home users, but most
home users don't have PhotoShop - they have PS Lite or some other
stripped down version. It's a $600 package unless you get the pirated
version of it.

Anyone willing to spend $600 on Photoshop is not a "home" user, but more
of a business user.

The comment about "enough RAM for the Job" is meaning less unless the OP
states what he does with PS, and I already said my system was overkill
for most.


--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2004 2:54:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In message <MPG.1b391d963502faeb98a639@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
Leythos <void@nowhere.com> writes
>>
>> For a normal person using Photoshop, your suggestion is inappropriate.
>
>What do you consider "Normal Person"? It appeared as though the OP was
>into some form of graphics design - from the list of apps - or just web
>development.

A graphic designer eh? ..... Java and C ...... of course, silly me. My
apologies.

> Sure, the Dual Xeon is overkill for home users, but most
>home users don't have PhotoShop - they have PS Lite or some other
>stripped down version. It's a $600 package unless you get the pirated
>version of it.

Eh? You mean you can get a pirated copy of PS ?????? Nooooo, surely not.
Sorry, I just can't believe anybody uses pirate software these days.
You must be correct. I apologise again.

>
>Anyone willing to spend $600 on Photoshop is not a "home" user, but more
>of a business user.
>
>The comment about "enough RAM for the Job" is meaning less unless the OP
>states what he does with PS,

He has - 'some Photoshop, not a lot'
Doesn't sound like a 150 layer, A0 printing, power user to me??

But then..... you must be correct.
So I'll apologise anyway.


--
__________________________________________________
Personal email for Gareth Jones can be sent to:
'usenet4gareth' followed by an at symbol
followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
__________________________________________________
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2004 3:10:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

In article <XqJWvLIdA3zAFwSS@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk says...
> In message <MPG.1b391d963502faeb98a639@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
> Leythos <void@nowhere.com> writes
[snip]
> He has - 'some Photoshop, not a lot'
> Doesn't sound like a 150 layer, A0 printing, power user to me??
>
> But then..... you must be correct.
> So I'll apologise anyway.

I already said the Dual Xeon / 2GB was overkill, what more can I say to
make you happy - you don't need to reply.

--
--
spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
!