RAW data retrieval

I doubt that anyone can actually do anything about this, but why not try? LOL. Bare with me on my computer's pathetic life description.

C Drive: Contains Windows 98. Obviously, the boot file is here, as this was the computer's original OS. However, all of the information on the drive somehow became RAW data, but is supposed to be FAT32.
D Drive: Contains Windows XP Professional, upgraded from Windows 2000 Professional. This drive is NTFS.
CPU: Pentium II with MMX Technology, 350 MHz.

See, my problem is that I want to get the years' worth of files off of the C Drive, format it and then replace the files. But whenever I enable the drive, the computer slows down dramatically (350 MHz!) and overloads the event log with C drive disk read errors. It becomes impossible to do anything at this point.
I have a freeware program, PC Inspector File Recovery, that gets this job done pretty well. However, this program is not programmed very well. If it stumbles across a file that it cannot recover, it will, along with the entire computer, crash. Is there a Microsoft version of File Recovery that will not do this?
Finally, I, quite obviously, do not want to format the boot file. But, I cannot access it, and I have been told that the boot file is actually a series of files. How do I get it/them? Also, how do I make the D Drive into the boot drive? Any ideas? Any at all?

If I had the drive, I could get the data off of it. You can too, with
EasyRecovery Professional. It just works where others do not. I have tried
most of them. That is why it is so expensive. Look into it at
www.ontrack.com!

I have saved a great deal of data from dozens of hard drives for my
customers. Also made a bit of cash for doing so.

I have had a 99 % success ratio when the drives are listed as RAW! Wouldn't
be without it.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Someguyinfl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I doubt that anyone can actually do anything about this, but why not try?
>LOL. Bare with me on my computer's pathetic life description.
>
> C Drive: Contains Windows 98. Obviously, the boot file is here, as this
> was the computer's original OS. However, all of the information on the
> drive somehow became RAW data, but is supposed to be FAT32.
> D Drive: Contains Windows XP Professional, upgraded from Windows 2000
> Professional. This drive is NTFS.
> CPU: Pentium II with MMX Technology, 350 MHz.
>
> See, my problem is that I want to get the years' worth of files off of
> the C Drive, format it and then replace the files. But whenever I enable
> the drive, the computer slows down dramatically (350 MHz!) and overloads
> the event log with C drive disk read errors. It becomes impossible to do
> anything at this point.
> I have a freeware program, PC Inspector File Recovery, that gets this
> job done pretty well. However, this program is not programmed very well.
> If it stumbles across a file that it cannot recover, it will, along with
> the entire computer, crash. Is there a Microsoft version of File Recovery
> that will not do this?
> Finally, I, quite obviously, do not want to format the boot file. But,
> I cannot access it, and I have been told that the boot file is actually a
> series of files. How do I get it/them? Also, how do I make the D Drive
> into the boot drive? Any ideas? Any at all?

TRENDING THREADS