P45P800S won't save boot order

Hello,
I bought a p4p800s to replace my p4g8x board that shorted. I put
in my sata drive which had xp pro on it. I had to call MS to get a new
install key. I can go to the bios and set the boot order and the
drives and save. But, everytime I boot this thing, I have to go back,
selects the sata drive, and reset the boot order. Could this simply be
a battery prob? I thought the battery was only for the clock. Any
ideas?
Thanks

"noel" <nakins@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I bought a p4p800s to replace my p4g8x board that shorted. I put
> in my sata drive which had xp pro on it. I had to call MS to get a new
> install key. I can go to the bios and set the boot order and the
> drives and save. But, everytime I boot this thing, I have to go back,
> selects the sata drive, and reset the boot order. Could this simply be
> a battery prob? I thought the battery was only for the clock. Any
> ideas?

Could well be. The battery keeps the CMOS memory 'alive',
which is where the BIOS stores its settings.
HTH
--
Rob