counterstrike source question

Hi all,
I running counterstrike source and want to thrash my sibbling who is running
the older counterstrike on steam.
Is there a way to connect to his server??
I have tried but on trying to connect i just get the options to buy!
Any ideas?
Thanx in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about counterstrike source question

    "fastmoggy" <fast.moggynospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I running counterstrike source and want to thrash my sibbling who is running
    > the older counterstrike on steam.
    > Is there a way to connect to his server??
    > I have tried but on trying to connect i just get the options to buy!
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanx in advance

    You cannot connect to a CS1.6 (or below) server with source because they use a
    different engine and maps. If you bought HL2 on steam and bought the silver or
    gold package then you also own the original counterstrike which you can download
    and play against him/her. If you bought retail CD/DVD or the bronze package
    though then you would need to buy the original CS or he/she would need HL2.

    "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > "fastmoggy" <fast.moggynospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I running counterstrike source and want to thrash my sibbling who is
    >> running the older counterstrike on steam.
    >> Is there a way to connect to his server??
    >> I have tried but on trying to connect i just get the options to buy!
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Thanx in advance
    >
    > You cannot connect to a CS1.6 (or below) server with source because they
    > use a different engine and maps. If you bought HL2 on steam and bought the
    > silver or gold package then you also own the original counterstrike which
    > you can download and play against him/her. If you bought retail CD/DVD or
    > the bronze package though then you would need to buy the original CS or
    > he/she would need HL2.
    Yep. I have the DVD retail version :-( Oh well looks like another trip to
    the shops! Funny enough i did notice that on the dvd version i got, it did
    not have any other multiplayer games like counterstrike had as i was a great
    team fortress fan. Anyway thanks for clearing that up for me.

    fastmoggy wrote:

    > "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "fastmoggy" <fast.moggynospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I running counterstrike source and want to thrash my sibbling who is
    >>> running the older counterstrike on steam.
    >>> Is there a way to connect to his server??
    >>> I have tried but on trying to connect i just get the options to buy!
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> Thanx in advance
    >>
    >> You cannot connect to a CS1.6 (or below) server with source because they
    >> use a different engine and maps. If you bought HL2 on steam and bought
    >> the silver or gold package then you also own the original counterstrike
    >> which you can download and play against him/her. If you bought retail
    >> CD/DVD or the bronze package though then you would need to buy the
    >> original CS or he/she would need HL2.
    > Yep. I have the DVD retail version :-( Oh well looks like another trip to
    > the shops! Funny enough i did notice that on the dvd version i got, it did
    > not have any other multiplayer games like counterstrike had as i was a
    > great team fortress fan. Anyway thanks for clearing that up for me.

    Did you try entering the CD Key of the 'old' half-life / CS version at
    steam?
    I did so by accident and all mods for the first version were downloadable...

    Frank

    --
    The above email address does either not exist or is not accessible for me.
    In case you need to contact me, use:

    "Frank Neurath" <League.for.Castration.of.Spammers@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Did you try entering the CD Key of the 'old' half-life / CS version at
    > steam?
    > I did so by accident and all mods for the first version were downloadable...

    That's perfectly normal, however it seems he doesn't own his own copy of HL1 or
    original CS
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Frank Neurath" <League.for.Castration.of.Spammers@msn.com> wrote in message

    > Did you try entering the CD Key of the 'old' half-life / CS version at
    > steam?
    > I did so by accident and all mods for the first version were
    > downloadable...
    >
    > Frank

    Intreasting thought!
    Only problem is i wouldnt't be able to use the account whilst it was being
    used on the other computer. I will try a few other ideas ive had but buying
    the game 'again' seems the only option.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > "Frank Neurath" <League.for.Castration.of.Spammers@msn.com> wrote in
    > message news:d23qfb$bec$04$1@news.t-online.com...
    >> Did you try entering the CD Key of the 'old' half-life / CS version at
    >> steam?
    >> I did so by accident and all mods for the first version were
    >> downloadable...
    >>
    > That's perfectly normal, however it seems he doesn't own his own copy of
    > HL1 or original CS
    In answer to that i can say that i have purchased all original copies of ..
    Half Life
    Opposing force
    Blue shift
    Gunmen
    Half life 2

    I think counter strike was a downloadable version that comes with
    counterstrike.

    I do have a life but also hooked on the half life way of life! LOL
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Frank Neurath" <League.for.Castration.of.Spammers@msn.com> wrote in
    > > message news:d23qfb$bec$04$1@news.t-online.com...
    > >> Did you try entering the CD Key of the 'old' half-life / CS version at
    > >> steam?
    > >> I did so by accident and all mods for the first version were
    > >> downloadable...
    > >>
    > > That's perfectly normal, however it seems he doesn't own his own copy of
    > > HL1 or original CS
    > In answer to that i can say that i have purchased all original copies of
    > Half Life
    > Opposing force
    > Blue shift
    > Gunmen
    > Half life 2
    >
    > I think counter strike was a downloadable version that comes with
    > counterstrike.
    >
    > I do have a life but also hooked on the half life way of life! LOL

    If you want you can sign up for extra Steam accounts, which will give you
    access to the original set of games including CS1.6.
    The CD keys that you can use to create new 'Platinum Pack Access' Steam
    accounts are Half Life and Blue Shift.
    That will enable you to play CS1.6 on two PC's then, with each PC logged
    into its own Steam account.

    Opposing force and Gunmen CD Keys do not qualify for a separate Steam
    account signup.

    Uzi
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "fastmoggy" <fast.moggynospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Frank Neurath" <League.for.Castration.of.Spammers@msn.com> wrote in
    >> message news:d23qfb$bec$04$1@news.t-online.com...
    >>>
    > I think counter strike was a downloadable version that comes with
    > counterstrike.

    Ok so brain now fully engaged..
    That should read ....I think counter strike was a downloadable version that
    comes with Opposing force.
    Sorry for the cock up..been a long day

Connection Games Video Games